What's for Lunch 2019

Thanks all. The fish came together in mins.

Nice plate, Rooster. That’s the beauty of fish. Doesn’t take long to cook and doesn’t need many or fancy spices. When I make this I also make a miso sauce. Miso, white wine or water, a couple of drops of sesame oil, a pinch of sugar to taste. Stir well until lumps are gone and sauce is smooth.

Thanks, Saregama. I eat the claws nearly every weekend. Had tried whole crabs a couple of times but it was too much work. Price has gone up a bit since last year, like everything else nowadays.

3 Likes

Drooling

I had mung bean pancakes today - the indian kind, puda/chilla, batter round from soaked green mung beans. With yogurt and green chutney.

8 Likes

I love pancakes!
Have been meaning to make Korean mung bean pancakes.

I made some of those the other day, which is what prompted these :grin:

Yes, I saw that.

A few photos of pancake stands at one of the most popular* markets in Seoul:

Grinding mung raw beans

I didn’t dare touch the green ones. Probably green onions, which I have a strong aversion to.

Most stalls are steaming like this at this market

After checking out all the stalls I got my own. There are whole bean shoots in the pancakes.

At a pancake restaurant. A mixed plate. Red ones have kimchi brine.

*This market became hugely popular and prices went up after it was featured on TV when a certain UK chef came to town.

5 Likes

Are the pancakes served hot? Or does that matter?

Not piping hot but not cold, either.

Dumplings with various fillings.
Quark filling. Eten with honey and pistachio.

Fillings: potato, chickpea. Half of each kind. Eaten with fried Speck and Sauerkraut.

Fillings: potato and quark/Sauerkraut/chickpea (puree).

7 Likes

Spectacular!

2 Likes

Thanks! I love dumplings. My pleating skills are rubbish, though. This is the only style I can do. Have watched many video clips but learnt nothing, apparently. Need more practice.

3 Likes

Leftover quinoa salad (had chickpeas, feta, cucumber, tomato), some tuna salad (artichokes, jalapeño, pickles, parsley, evoo, lemon juice), served with lettuce, cucumber, and tomatoes. It was nice enough to clean up the patio furniture and eat outside.

6 Likes

Turning pseudo Russian!

The herring is supposed to be “under the fur coat” but mine is almost “over”. Name in Russian is “Shuba”.

My cheat’s Russian Easter cheese cake, based on Pashka.

Made 2 in case 1 didn’t turn out.

You are supposed to eat Paskha with Kulich, a cake, but I don’t like cakes… I made this bread instead.

My meatless version of Rassolnik, Russian gherkin soup.

Garlic bread for the soup. Normally garlic rolls are served with Borscht, however.

I used beetroot puree and water in the batter but the colour was lost once cooked. Sweetish beetroot sauce alongside.

Cottage cheese cakes with blueberry-honey compote. Russian name is Syrniki.

Savoury version with the same cottage cheese cakes. Home-cured salmon.

Still eating beetroots year round. Loved it already as a child.

Washed down with more beetroot sans vodka.

I used Korean dumpling skins. They are twice as thick as Chinese and Japanese ones.

What shall we do with him?

The end of my Russian-style feast. :relaxed:

10 Likes

Incredible feast and beautiful ta boot!

Thank you!
People love to hate Russian food. Not yours truly.

Not I.

Lunch in pork heaven Lyon. All buchons have some pork scratchings on the table. Lyon does pork very well and they eat snout to tail. Nothing from the animal is wasted.

Potato gratin and sauteed vegs. Everyone got the same plate today.

I don’t know which cut of meat this is but it’s one that needs several hours to cook.

Traditional Lyonnaise food is meat and offal heavy. This is Pork cheeks. Melts in the mouth, no need to chew, can be cut with a spoon.

When you arrive with reservation (your name is on the exact table on the seating chart) they take you to your table and there you wait. Until the boss comes round and explains to you the dishes they are serving. It’s handwritten on a piece of paper. Boss is humorous and personable.

I was the first to show up and was able to make this photo. 5 minutes later it was completely full, as with all popular buchons. The place is tiny, tables and chairs are small and you sit in intimate proximity to other diners. Pudgy French are not a common sight so the size of furniture is probably “small” to what people in countries with high obesity rates are used to.

Menu in front of kitchen

It’s a tiny street with cars parked in front of the restaurant, impossible to make a photo of the exterior. Well, then I made a photo of a photo instead.

4 Likes

This restaurant wants to remind me I’m still in pork heaven.

Pork scratchings

Good bread again. Sourdough baguette.

Haven’t met a potato I didn’t like

The most expensive of all offal and is the most expensive dish this restaurant serves.

More for me and the French if you scoff at sweetbreads.

Lyonnaise-style twice-cooked tripes

The plate

Unassuming on the outside, fancy and beautiful on the inside. This is the most “fancy” of the 5 buchons (certified authentic Lyonnaise traditional restaurants) I’ve been to. Only such buchons are bestowed this honour (there are several styles of enamelled plaque hung proudly outside).

Sweetbreads in cream with morels

Lost 3kg on my previous holiday in Morocco, gained it all back after 3 days in Lyon!

4 Likes

Last lunches in Lyon.

Lyonnaise sausage with pistachio

Veal head (mostly fat and skin). Slow-cooked and served with a sauce. Lyonnaise love this kind of things (head, feet, offal etc).

It’s a one-man show here. The smallest buchon with little character and personality. Without the plaques I wouldn’t have guessed it’s a real traditional buchon.

My table

A regular directly in front of me.

I was first to arrive again. The small kitchen back there where I could watch the cook’s almost every move. I think the restaurant used to be part of a shop. They partitioned it and added the kitchen and toilet (directly behind the man in another photo above). The toilet seems out of place but everything is so cramp in here. A few more tables behind me and that’s it. And the tables are so small and so close it’s not pleasant to see strangers’ every pore and hair.

There are 3 markets within walking distance from my lodging where I got stuff for my own lunches and dinners.

Brawn and pâté from the poultry/butcher stands.

So many cheese stands at the market it’s amazing.

Mushrooms and Lyonnaise sausages to take home

This is what 100gr of dried morels look like. I also got a Bresse chicken which lasted 2 meals. I left the stock for the flat owner to use. He’s a good home cook and we discussed how to make good use of it.

Now you know why any restaurant meal containing morels and/or Bresse chicken is very expensive…

7 Likes