[London] Sunday roast from Skylon Restaurant, Bar & Grill, Royal Festival Hall

Was down at the Royal Festival Hall on the weekend 7-8 July for the Man Booker 50 Festival to catch Kazuo Ishiguro and Michael Ondaatje’s talks. Not many good dining choices at Southbank Centre - I opted for Skylon, which was on the same floor as the Royal Festival Hall itself. Very nice space with high ceilings and glass windows providing expansive views of the river. Pretty packed on a Sunday.

Lunch:
Egg Skylon - poached egg, kale and Hollandaise sauce

Sunday roast - Hertford rump beef, Yorkshire pudding, horseradish sauce

White chocolate avocado, cremeux, lime, chili Very inventive dessert, and a stark departure from very traditional roast we had for mains.

Overall, a pleasant spot for a meal before attending any events at the Southbank Centre. I hear good things about the cocktail bar there, though I didn’t try any of the drinks that afternoon.
Ondaatje and Ishiguro’s session later on was inexorably more memorable.

Address
Skylon Restaurant, Bar & Grill
Royal Festival Hall, Lambeth
London SE1 8XX, UK
Tel: +44 20 7654 7800
Opening hours:
Mon-Fri 12noon-1030pm
Sat 11.30am-10.30pm
Sun 11.30am-10pm

3 Likes

Do you perhaps have a typo in there, Peter?

Reason for asking is that Hertfordshire isn’t really known for its beef, whilst Herefordshire is.

No, I did a double-take, too, when I first saw that on the menu - I’d also only heard of Hereford beef, not Hertford. But it never occurred to me that it was a typo - my assumption then was that the Skylon folks were pretty “hip” to offer beef from a new source. :joy::joy::joy:
But now that you mentioned it …