Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better

Nice to meet you, Newlyn. Welcome.

1 Like

Welcome , Steve. I’ve seen your posts on Chowhound - which is where many of us here started out. Hope you enjoy things here. You’ll find a few of us play on the UK board and we’ll certainly be looking forward to a south west perspective.

John
(in deepest Cheshire)

2 Likes

Many thanks Chemicalkinetics.

Hi John. Thanks for the welcome. Will check out the UK board & no doubt see you there.
All the best

Welcome, Newlyn!

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Introducing Home Cooking Cuisine of the Quarter (Apr-Jun 2017) - Nominations Thread

Welcome to HO. May I ask how did you find us?

Thanks for sharing your own GitHub recipes, I will check the system, it seems a good way to store some text based older recipes I have.

1 Like

Welcome, nbirnel!

Hi naf. I used to be on Chowhound, but mostly abandoned it after it went commercial years ago. I missed it, though. I just saw recently an article about people going to Hungry Onion after a redesign, and thought I would check it out.

3 Likes

Glad you did!!!

nbrinel,

Welcome aboard!! Always good to have some new voices joining the party!! If you don’t mind me asking where did you read the article about us? It’s good to know where and how word is getting out. If you have any questions please don’t be afraid to ask!!

Trying to reconstruct from memory and my browser history… I think I went to chowhound for the first time in years to find talk about Cleveland, and the site was incomprehensible. So then I googled “chowhound” looking for some sort of news; had they been sold again, etc. I found this: http://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-chowhound-20151010-story.html

And that led me here.

6 Likes

Thanks for looking that up! I had not seen or read that article, it’s 3 years old but word got out that early. Awesome!! Enjoy your time here!

Leff, the Chowhound co-founder. “Bad interfaces can be helpful; they filter out the Olive Garden set. The emigrés will make room for new blood, fresh perspectives and a new crop of chow tips. A bit of churn in a nearly 20-year-old online community might be a good thing.”

:rofl:

4 Likes

That led me here a too a couple of years ago.

2 Likes

Oh, and I missed the guidelines at the top of this thread!

1. I am in Seattle, Washington.
  2. Home cooking: simplicity. Eating out: regional and cultural differences.
  3. Grilled sweetbreads at the Buenos Aires Grill in Seattle. (sadly defunct). They were the most delicious thing I have ever eaten.
  4. I like analog synthesizers, and programming. Here’s a (not very well done) application of the second one to cooking: https://github.com/nbirnel/bread-calculator
6 Likes

Yeah, how is that bad interface and “new crop of chow tips” working out for ya, Leff? :thinking::roll_eyes::smirk:

2 Likes

Leff certainly did a good job of purging the old blood, me included.

Pretty sure he had nothing to do with it. He’s a figurehead at this point. It was the new people running the show after CBS Interactive bought them out (and hired Georges whatshisface) that made all these changes. Leff was just trying to justify a poor redesign as something good for the site.

8 Likes
  1. SF Bay Area, East Bay

2. Family recipes and wine, I LOVE wine!

3. When Elizabeth Faulkner still lived here and Orson was open, the tasting menu was the bomb. Parmesan pudding canelle with chili flakes, cocoa nibs and unflavored pop rocks. Amazing!

4. I work in grocery wine retail and am the current Cellar Master for the German Wine Society SF Chapter.

12 Likes