Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better

Hello! I’m new here after reading about the site on Chowhound today.

1. Southeast Missouri on the banks of the Mississippi. It’s not exactly a culinary paradise, but it beats the community where I grew up in Southern Illinois.

2. I love talking about cookbooks, new recipes, and New Orleans restaurants/cuisine.

3. On our last trip to New Orleans, I danced in my first jazz line at Commander’s Palace brunch and had great fun between that and the food. The first time I made Marcella Hazan’s Roast Chicken with Lemons was a proud moment since I didn’t grow up in a culinarily adventurous household whatsoever.

4. I am a high school English teacher. In my writing class, I’m infamous for writing model essays about food topics.

10 Likes

Welcome! Glad you found us. We have a great group of people and are growing the site. Post away - and the "What’s for dinner"monthly threads are a great way to get to know folks quickly!

2 Likes

If you like Commander’s, what about Galatoire’s and Clancy’s?

Oh more cats I just noticed is there a dog in there too … goodie :slight_smile:

Welcome, @KGeis - glad you found us! Your last two points made me smile - can’t go wrong with dancing in the jazz line @ Commanders Palace, OR Hazan’s roast chicken, OR writing essays about food topics. I wasn’t “in” to food back in my high school days many many moons ago, but if I was? I’d probably have done the same thing as you. :smiley:

Here’s the current thread, in case you wanted to join us. :hamburger: :apple: :egg: :wine_glass:

2 Likes

Hello! We have been to Galatoire’s, unfortunately, not for a Friday lunch. It was enjoyable, but I want to see the “show” badly. I’ve not yet been to Clancy’s. It’s on the list though. We are back in June, so hopefully that or Brigtsen’s will get a visit.

In full, our several NOLA trips have taken us to
Commander’s
Galatoire’s
Mr. B’s
Shaya
The Old Coffee Pot–for the biscuits…every morning we’re there…I live in Missouri, what can I say?
August
The American Sector (Besh era)
Luke’s
Felix’s
Cochon Butcher
Coop’s
Gumbo Shop
Bacchanal

We are trying hard to support NOLA tourism and trade!

3 Likes

Thank you. I will check that out.

Thank you for the welcome. I wasn’t adventurous in high school either. In my parents’ house, onion powder was an avant-garde spice. Still is. On the flip side, I thought grass-fed ribeyes on the grill were normal living on a dairy farm. My kids seem to find my food interests eccentric. I only get in trouble if it’s lunchtime and I make them hungry.

1 Like

Just read through 70 / 80 of these mini-profiles, and thought: “I need to contribute.” So here goes…

I’m a refugee from CH and Zomato. Still pissed that the East Indian venture capitalists that bought Urbanspoon, gutted it!

Where are you? Northeast suburb of Detroit–on the shores of Lake St Clair.

What food-related topic are you most passionate about, that you want people to ask you about and you can’t stop talking about it? Outdoor grilling, but I’m not a Smoked meats kind of guy. Love 'em all. Can’t do 'em.

What’s a great food experience you have had? Actually, immediately thought of three–no four, and they all involve my Dad. 1. Him taking me on a trip to visit his boyhood friends in Rockaway Beach, and me experiencing the authentic Bagel for the very first time. Transcending. 2. Those Sunday afternoons he decided to make Veal Cutlets, and always made sure there were small morsels for my sisters and me to snack on before dinner. 3. Him grilling up a heaping platter of bone-in Pork Chops for a weekday dinner, this, before pork became “The Other White Meat”. Still my go-to choice when on a restaurant menu. 4. Telling him I’d just had the best spaghetti & meatball dinner ever, when cooked by a distant relative he didn’t like to associate with. His reply: "You think this is good? I’ll show you what real Italian cooking tastes like! And just a few days later, he did. Produced a spaghetti and Italian Sausage dinner that kept him almost eight hours in the kitchen. And it was the best Italian I’ve ever tasted.

A little tidbit about you? I guess from re-reading this I’m still chasing after my Dad.

14 Likes

Where are you?

Technically East Bay of the San Francisco bay area, but those who live here would say that is stretching it. The best part is I get to eat like the Bay Area, and the wine country, and garden like the,e Central valley.

What food-related topic are you most passionate about, that you want people to ask you about and you can’t stop talking about it?

Home cooking, edible gardening.

What’s a great food experience you have had?
That takes too much thinking, but last fall in Italy is the short version.

A little tidbit about you

Little? Can’t do little!
Born in Brooklyn, raised in Brooklyn and Queens with Carribean, southern and “NYC” influences , BS and MD at Howard University ( ’ nuff said?), then worked in the Bronx; a little more money and influences!. Next was military, then living in No Cal for the last 25 years, and “loving every minute of it!” (Huge Seinfeld fan).

3 Likes

Whoa big fella’…have you been extremely vetted? Not sure if you heard but there’s a new sheriff in town and, well, he don’t take too lightly to your kind. ((snaps rubber glove over hand)) Bend over and spread em’ let’s get this process started, say ahhhhhhhhh…

1 Like

Oh yeah! Great stories about your dad, Welcome to HO!! You passed the exam!!!

1 Like

Thank you sincerely for your service. Welcome to Hungry Onion. (I am usually the resident wise ass so don’t get to use to me being serious but military always gets my utmost respect. )

1 Like

Thanks…Also…STILL on Chowhound!:confused:

That’s ok I won’t hold that against you! Several people actually are, if you know anyone over there that you think would enjoy this community please feel free to invite them. Welcome again!

2 Likes

Will do.

I think I signed up awhile ago, but mostly come here looking for Linda Witt when Top Chef is on.

1 Like

Here let me call her for you; @LindaWhit there’s someone here to see you!!!

2 Likes

:grin:

1 Like

Thanks, Jr. @shrinkrap and I have chatted over on the Top Chef thread here on HO as well. :smiley:

2 Likes