Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better

THanks, my brain seemed to want to take the day off that day.

Hi All-

I was Foodiex2 on CH, an unfortunate name that I was not allowed to change, and well, I am now banned so I guess it doesn’t matter. I am CYC80 here as well as on twitter. I am glad to join HO!

I live south of Boston so most of my experience take place there but regularly travel so loves checking out the regional boards.

I am an accomplished home cook and love cooking. Baking? not so much!

6 Likes

I realized I joined and did not fill this out…

1. Split time between San Francisco and Sacramento
  2. Cookware and great restaurants that aren’t hugely expensive but don’t make you fear for your health and safety. Travel and food. Market finds and cooking with them.
  3. One experience was at an agriturismo in the hills between of Torino and the Barolo wine region, with our Roman friend, a native of the area, and a few of his local relatives. Lunch took five hours and 12+ courses, made mostly from the farm and the surrounding area. Cost 40E. We finished as the sun was beginning to set.
  4. I’ve been to over 45 countries and have lived in Europe
2 Likes
  1. Northern Utah but grew up on the High Desert in CA
  2. Passions currently include canning, bread making, cheese making and gardening (specifically heirloom tomatoes)
  3. Husband and I finally took a real vacation to New Orleans a few years back. I’d go back in a heart beat.
  4. I thought northern Utah was such a food desert since we do not have the popular stores (that has changed for Utah but not my corner of it) but over the last few years I’ve discovered how wrong I am. We may not have the stores but the farmers are in your back yard and gardens all but grow themselves as long as you water them. I’ve been finally using the dehydrator and canning supplies I bought many years ago and putting up all the awesome produce I can get my hands on.
3 Likes
  1. now in Northern NJ suburbs of NYC, after moving from Brooklyn

2. Love all things food and wine. I am passionate about instilling in my kids a love of good food and an appreciation for how it’s made. Also, because my husband doesn’t eat leftovers, I enjoy the challenge of trying to transform and reinvent any leftovers for a round 2.

3. Chef’s tasting at Brooklyn Fare, among others fine dining experiences in NYC. But would also count my mom’s wonderful Indian home cooking as some of my favorite food memories.

4. I grew up in a small town in the midwest, but moved to NYC after law school. I have two little kiddos who I love cooking for and with. My husband grew up with awful food habits and almost no exposure to good food, or hell, vegetables. I’ve spent our nearly two decades together trying to open up the world of great food to him and pass along my family’s rich tradition of food and great memories around the table to my husband and kiddos. I struggle with balancing long hours at work with family time and usually spend late nights menu planning and cooking.

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Kensington CA eats

1. I live in the middle of america on a gravel road. I buy pork, beef , chicken and lamb directly from the people that raise them.

2. BBQ ing on my Big Green Egg, and cheese.

3. Most memorial dining experiences are Michel Rostang’s michelin starred restaurant in Paris and an impromptu picnic with my wife . I just pulled onto a half deserted road by a small lake in Canada and had fresh bread, great cheese and wonderful ham sandwiches.

4. I make cheese for a living. It’s not glorious at all.

2 Likes

the edit button did not work at all. The preview did not work either. How can I have 1,2,3,4 on one side and it comes out 1,2,3,1,?

don’t worry about it – tell us more about your cheese! :smile:

2 Likes

Yes. Its because of the missing space between 3. and Most. I added that space in, and the numbering became ok again.

Welcome!

1. Pittsburgh, after lengthy stays in SoCal, Berkeley, Upstate NY, Oregon and N. Texas
  2. Excellent ingredients. Learned to cook in Berkeley in the early days of Chez Panisse - enjoyed the glorious goods from produce farmers, cheese makers, bread makers, etc. So I’m more of an assembler than a cook.
  3. Digging a hole in the sand at Stallion Springs (low tide), hopping in the hot spring water and toasting the early morning sun over the Pacific, then cooking eggs on a drift-wood fire.
  4. Trying to up my cooking game because my spouse has a chronic disease and everything has to be intensely flavored and rich in calories to entice him to eat. And trying not to eat like that myself. Thanks to all on this website, I learn a lot every time I visit.
6 Likes
  1. NYC & Rockland Co NY
  2. I like to talk about where to eat, what to eat, and what’s that special something that makes ones recipe, restaurant dish, or prepared item work so well that makes it over the top good & to discover new ways of preparing something I never thought of.
  3. I have fond memories of dining in Chinatown NYC as a kid in the 60’s & 70’s. Waiting on long lines to get into Cantonese joints. I still enjoy Chinatown, but that vibe is long gone.
  4. 2014 I placed 1st in our local apple pie contest. This was after at age 16 I swore I’d never bake one again when my crust was about 3" high. I gave it one more dedicated shot, and my pie won!
    I’m an ex-Chowhounder, lurked around since 2000, banned once, resurfaced after a friend of Jim’s went to bat for me to be able return.
4 Likes

Welcome michele_cindy. Don’t forget to visit the NY/Connecticut board. That’s for Rockland also, We need to ramp that up a bit!!

1 Like

ok -will add some topics soon.

Welcome, michele cindy, love your cat!
It’s great that we have an expert in baking on board!

i’m far from being an expert baker - more like a lucky one time baker!

Hellooooooooooo michele_cindy!!! Welcome to Hungry Onion!!

Let me just give you a few quick tips. As someone else has already told you there is a local NY/Connecticut board where you can talk all about your favorite places in your locale. As you may or may not know we are still in our infancy here, so please help get the word out to as many people with similar interest as you can!!

Oh also the board has a policy that if any members have won baking contests they need to submit an example of their award winning product to me to sample. After which I will attest to the validity of your award and you can continue to boast proudly about your accomplishment!!!

I will inbox you the shipping information for my pie!!! Thank you in advance. (yes I’m joking, well not if you really want to mail me a pie, who could say no to free pie?? Not I !! lol ) Welcome again, hope you enjoy.

4 Likes

Thanks for the welcome. I remember your name from CH. I will try to post the recipe. I haven’t made it since. The whole event was so stressful. There were local judges who were all NY top notch chefs and bakers. In the end it was worth it. In light of this, I won’t be sending any in the mail!

1 Like

In the old blue board days of CH, I was just Maureen. After a long absence, I found that name unavailable, and was mcsheridan. Now, it’s just Maureen again. Over on the FB WFD page, I’m Maureen Sheridan.
Some answers about me to the questions posed above…

1. I’m in northern New Jersey, USA. I frequently abbreviate my location as NNJ.
  2. Home cooking, especially Cajun and Chinese cooking.
  3. Brunch @ Cafe des Amis in Breaux Bridge, Louisiana. Shrimp Kidder (Batter-fried shrimp dressed with a honey aioli & spiced pecans), Oreille de Cochon (Boudin-stuffed beignet dough shaped like pigs’ ears & dusted with powdered sugar, and Eggs Begnaud (Crawfish Étouffée over Biscuit & eggs) are highlights of their brunch menu.
  4. For all my appreciation of good food, I’m a picky eater. My menus eschew Cauliflower, cilantro, coconut, coffee, cottage cheese, ricotta, eggplant, grapefruit, squash, Lima beans, offal, okra, bivalves (except for scallops), squid, octopus, walnuts, bitter tastes in general, and any pepper over 5,000 Scoville units in any and all of their forms.
4 Likes

Helllloooooo Mo!!!

Glad to have you over here with us, I remember mscheridan back from “the other place”, so nice to have you joining us here. Please take a look around, we have many of the same things that made the other place so great, now including you!! Look forward to your contributions, if you know anyone else who might enjoy our new home please help spread the word!!

Regards,
Bob

2 Likes