Laurel and Sage - Montclair

We had another excellent dinner at Laurel & Sage Saturday night. They are located in the spot where Top Chef contestant Ariane Duarte used to have her award winning restaurant called CulinAriane, and are a very worthy successor. Chef Shawn is the owner, & his lovely wife Jenny works the front of the house. The restaurant is named after their two adorable daughters.
They started us off with a refreshing Amuse Bouche of carrot ginger soup, and their amazing poblano pepper and swiss popovers with lavender honey butter.

We shared a very nice special appetizer of crispy pan seared quail medallions, with Russian potato salad, that contained beets (for the pink coloring), and apple (for crunchiness), and had a quail egg on top. There was also some very flavorful steamed spinach & greens. It was in a delicious whole grain mustard jus & brown butter.
quail
For entrees, Mrs. P had the outstanding pan seared jumbo black sea bass fillet, over baby bok choy, & forbidden black rice, in a green curry coconut sauce. This was a new addition to the menu & is definitely a keeper!

I had a special of Venison flank steak, grilled medium rare, with grainy mustard jus, celery root, potatoes au gratin, watercress, in a foie gras demi glace.

This can be a very expensive restaurant (with some entrees as high as $48.00!), and can get quite noisy when it is packed (we dine at 5, so we don’t have that issue), but Chef Shawn is very talented and creative. He creates a lot of dishes that you normally don’t see at any other restaurant in NJ. His sauces are very light and not overpowering. This is definitely worth the trip up North. It is also located in a quiet neighborhood with plenty of street parking. It is away from the noisy main stretch of Bloomfield Avenue in Montclair.

3 Likes

Yum…I’m craving some quail lately. Wonderful pics.

Do you ever eat any axis deer in nj? I’ve been trying to find some.

Thanks Johnny. No, I haven’t tried Axis deer.
After having the quail, I decided to order some at D’artagnan while they still had their freezer sale. I ordered the semi boneless quail and the French jumbo quail. Mrs. P has never made quail before, but I’m sure she will figure it out, after looking at a few recipes😉

I just got my order of quail from D’artagnan :yum:
IMG_0632

IMG_0634

3 Likes

Yes! Oh man, hopefully we get some pics of these cooked up! I need to get some quail in my rotation this summer.

Hopefully Mrs. P can make them next week, & I’ll try & post some pictures.

1 Like

We had our first soft shell crab of the season at Laurel & Sage :yum: Chef Shawn does an excellent presentation of very lightly battered crab with hot tamale, corn mango salsa, and corn pudding. It is very light & crispy.

softshellcrab1

1 Like

Another great dinner at Laurel & Sage.
Crispy cherry wood smoked wild boar bacon with tomato, raw onion, & wild balsamic reduction.

Quail with fresh green salad, quail eggs, & a nice vinaigrette dressing.
quail
I had an excellent new addition to the menu of Duck pad Thai, with tamarind, tofu, peanuts, & rice noodles. I had Chef Shawn make it extra spicy with Sriracha & red pepper flakes. It contained a whole duck breast. You can add on the duck or shrimp for an additional $4.00. It was well worth it. It had a really nice kick to it.

Mrs. P had the delicious Black Sea Bass filet (picture on 4/22 post).

2 Likes

We had another outstanding dinner at Laurel and Sage.
We started off with the very refreshing local roasted baby beet salad (with at least 4 different types of beets), local greens, goat cheese, spiced pecans, smoky candied bacon, in a banyuls vinaigrette. We finally had this salad even though it’s been on the menu for over 3 years. I didn’t realize there were so many different types of beets. There was even a rainbow colored one.

We also tried a new preparation of the quail (with shaved foie gras, quail eggs, and endive, in a mustard jus.
This time for an entree I had the pad Thai with shrimp. Last month I had it with duck. It was just as good. I had Chef Shawn make it extra spicy.

Mrs. P had her usual soft shell crab.

4 Likes

We had another outstanding dinner at Laurel & Sage.
I had the most amazing squid ink linguine with scallops, lobster, shrimp, tomato concasse, turmeric, bouillabaisse. I could take a bath in that sauce😋

We also had a couple of excellent appetizers; mini portion of black kale & sprouts salad with pancetta, pepitas, medjool dates, ricotta salata, grapefruit, with a pomegranate vinaigrette. We also shared a crispy warm perail papillon wheel with lingonberry jam,soft toasted roll, almonds, cucumber-dill salad.
imagey

4 Likes

Tell me you had some good bread to go with that linguini please!

1 Like

I ate all of the good bread earlier with the appetizers. I just ate the delicious sauce with a spoon :grin:

1 Like

Nicely done! I’m trying to think what I want for lunch. Your pics are making me hungry!

1 Like

We had another fantastic dinner at Laurel & Sage Saturday night. Besides the usual dishes we shared a charred pear salad with soft sheeps cheese, hazelnuts, gougers, and champagne vinaigrette.
For an entree I had crispy stuffed Airline chicken breast with chicken sage sausage, mushroom faro pilaf, whole grain mustard, and natural jus.

2 Likes

We had another fabulous dinner at Laurel & Sage Saturday night.
We started off with some awesome foie gras dumplings with a foie gras demi glace, and topped with acidic relish.

We also shared an heirloom tomato salad.

For entrees I had the venison flank steak with celery root potato gratin, and sautéed field greens.
Mrs. P had ginger soy lacquered chilean sea bass with hon shimeji ceviche, lobster dumplings, in a kombu mushroom consommé.

2 Likes

Wow, foie dumplings. That is an interesting dish. Did you still get that buttery flavor with the relish?

Yes, the relish was a nice contrast to the buttery foie.

Yet another excellent dinner at Laurel and Sage.
We started off with a crispy blackened swordfish maki roll with papaya, jalapeno, with a trio of dipping sauces.

We also tried a new appetizer of grilled calamari and pancetta with white beans, and a gemolata drizzle.
For an entree I had an awesome special of double cut pork chop with grilled pineapple, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, crispy bacon, potatoes, in a pineapple dijon glacé. This had cj’s name on it :grinning: Mrs. P had the awesome squid ink linguine with seafood (pictures are in previous posts). Everything went very well with Domaine De L’Harmas Chateauneuf Du Pape.

z

3 Likes

Another great looking dish! That pork chop is definitely speaking my language!

I’ve never seen a swordfish roll. I love swordfish too…one of my top fish species. I wonder why more people don’t do this…maybe the price. Swords aren’t cheap now

2 Likes

Me to but so is the wine.

2 Likes