[Kuala Lumpur] Big Tree Curry Laksa in Pudu

Pudu district in KL has a few well-known spots selling curry laksa or curry noodles - one of them is this stall which got its name from its location under a big tree on Jalan Brunei (you won’t miss the said tree, nor the packed noodle stalls under it - there’s also a beef noodle stall next to the curry laksa one).

There is a simple two-page menu which lists down the choice of noodles and sides for you to construct your own bespoke bowl of curry noodles:

A standard bowl of curry noodles (which they call “curry laksa” here) consisted of noodles, beansprouts, pieces of poached chicken, succulent blood cockles and spongey tofu puffs.

The composition is almost exactly the same sans the potatoes as for the “curry mee” (“Mee” is the Hokkien and Teochew word for noodles) at Heng Kee in Singapore, my all-time favourite hawker stall anywhere in the world [Singapore] Best Curry Noodles in Singapore from Heng Kee, Hong Lim Hawker Centre.

Tastewise, this KL version lacked the richness and aroma of its Singapore counterpart. For my choice of noodles, I opted for a mix of yellow Hokkien wheat noodles and the thin “bee hoon” rice noodles, basically because that’s the usual mix for Heng Kee’s curry mee which I usually have for the past 3 decades. Old habits are hard to break.

Address
Big Tree Curry Laksa (大树头咖喱面)
Jalan Brunei, off Jalan Pudu
55100 Kuala Lumpur
Malaysia

6 Likes