KOREAN - Cuisine of the Quarter, Winter 2019 (Jan-Mar)

It really is crazy, no?

1 Like

LOL - actually there were lots of responses! That link provides the chapter links with the actual reporting. I think it was pretty active. The WFD, COTM & DOTM seem to be the main areas of active participation over there these days.

1 Like

Here too! :laughing: WFD and Home Fermentation has already quite a lot of Korean cooking!

2 Likes

One recipe I particularly want to make is Haemul Pajeon, seafood pancakes.

10 Likes

That looks amazingly good!

For inspiration:

Looking at the pics made me want to go back instantly. :yum:

2 Likes

Cool thread. I love Korean food. I’ve been trying some Korean “inspired” dishes. It has been fun and a new thing for me. My dishes mainly consist of protein grilled with wood. I like hickory with the some heavier handed spice. I’m trying to get my marinade down but so far it has been enjoyable. Gochujang, ginger, soy sauce, sesame seed oil is my base and I’ve been experimenting. For some reason I like to put these on skewers. Something about meat on a stick makes it better. It’s probably a mental thing lol

8 Likes

Korean cuisine is one of my favorites. I love the garlicky, spring onion, sweet, fermented, sesame oil, red chile flavor profile. I adore banchan! I go through periods of making Korean spicy soups/stews at home because they are pretty easy to make well. I’ve also made tak bokki, a huge fave, a couple of times.

For the most part, I eat Korean food at restaurants. I usually go for table top grill, giant shared soups, KFC, or if I’m dining alone and getting something to go, bibimpab. I’m interested in trying more stuff at home, though.

5 Likes

It’s good - I cooked from it during the CH korean month last year. Very flavorful results. But avoid the “guest recipes.”

Definitely an active month. You have to go to the sub-pages as @meatn3 indicated.

Maangchi.com is a very helpful resource - she has free ebooks you can download, plus a ton of recipes and videos on her website and on YouTube.

5 Likes

What’s a guest recipe? The ones from other people than the author?

Recipes by their friends who are not korean but use korean ingredients. For eg, there’s one for bulgogi meatballs by one of the owners of ny’s Meatball Shop that’s a must-avoid.

3 Likes

I wish I had more time to participate but I did want to mention a cookbook that I have called “Quick and Easy Korean Cooking” by Cecilia Lee. The recipes are simple and authentic-tasting, and ingredient lists are not crazy-long or exotic. I’ve used it numerous times and my um-mah (mom) was impressed.

7 Likes

Remembered this addictive fried rice recipe from Koreatown courtesy the fried rice thread.

Several other recipes are also online if you look by Deuki’s name and the recipe name (which can be found on Eat Your Books - but EYB doesn’t provide all the available online recipe links).

1 Like

I wonder if you eat Korean food in a regular basis?

Used my only Korean cookbook, Koreatown mentioned in the upthread.

Haemul Pajeon - seafood pancake
I don’t know if I can considered it a success, it’s eatable, but nothing like airy version I have in the Korean restaurant. I think need more tries with the right batter consistency. I used anchovy broth and not the sparkling water, I guess that plays a role too.

Mix Korean pancake mix (I got mine ready made from store), cold anchovy stock (ratio 1:1, both a cup), 1 egg yolk, doenjang depending your likening, squid and baby shrimp (both half a pound), a bunch of chopped scallions.

Heat the pan with some vegetable oil on medium high heat, pour half of the mixture, cooked for 5 or 6 minutes on medium heat and cooked the other side for 3 or 4 minutes, if you want it crispier, turned the heat to medium high and cook slightly longer.

Serve with the Jeon Dipping sauce (3 tbsp rice vinegar, 3 tbsp soy sauce, 3 tsp sesame oil, 2 tsp ground gochugaru and 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds)

12 Likes

Another recipe I have tried in the same Koreatown book

Godeungeo Gui - Quick-cured broiled mackerel
Rub each fish with 1 tablespoon of sea salt and refrigerate 4 of them for at least 1 hour. Rinse off the excess salt before cooking. Heat the oven at 500ºF for at least 40 minutes, preheat a cast-iron skillet at least 20 minutes in the oven on the top rack. Brush oil on the skillet before placing the fish. Broil for 3 to 4 minutes, longer if your fish is larger in size. Cook until browned. Serve the fish with lemon juice.

The fish was delicious, but damn, my brush was burnt when oiling the skillet. Ignore that instruction and find another way to do it!

6 Likes

Looks good!

I had a similar result with this recipe - it was a bit doughy, not the version I eat in ktown. I’m sure the sparkling/seltzer/soda water would make a difference to airiness, but also I think the technique described doesn’t help.

When I tried again (a scallion pancake this time) having watched a video by maangchi on youtube, I only poured in enough batter to just cover the other ingredients in the pan, and it was much more what I was looking for.

2 Likes

This is an all-time classic poor person’s protein in Korea and one of my favorites.

I prefer to salt the fish for a day or two. Well, not prefer, but it’s worth trying. The salting changes the texture of the fish and it’s a different experience from when you just season the outside. The “classic” Korean grilled mackerel will have been salted well in advance.

You can broil or cook in a pan, but you really want to make sure you get some blistering and browning on it.

Also, if you like mackerel, I highly, highly recommend you try the Korean braised version of it. Check out recipes for mackerel jorim and you’ll see plenty of hits. Make sure the recipe includes radish, it’s the best part.

4 Likes