Knife talk

He is not wrong about the knife safety. However, Macro is not wrong neither – if this makes sense. It isn’t wrong to add sugar before milk and it isn’t wrong to add milk before sugar. It is over-exaggerated to state: “Marco’s video is not a good example. Chef Panko does a better job”

Let’s take step back. There is more than one way to hold a tennis racket. There is more than one way to hold a pair of chopsticks. There is more than one way to hold a pen. Would it make sense to you that there is only one way to hold a kitchen knife? Take Chef Panko or Chef Macro out of your mind for a second, and ask yourself what is likelihood that there is only one correct way to hold a kitchen knife?

*Why do bring up Chef Panko again? I thought you do not want us to talk about him.

1 Like

Hi Chem,

I always post Youtubes for reviews and analyses, and Chef Panko is one of my favorite sources. I sometimes have behind the scenes information–he has very strong credentials–and he’s my friend. Whenever he makes a video I think is helpful, you can be sure I’ll post the link.

I’m embarrassed by some of the personalizations about Chef Panko posted in Hungry Onion.

Then stop posting about him. You cannot have it both ways. You cannot say you want to post about Chef Panko, but no one can point out his fault. Don’t bring him into your argument. If he is your friend (as you have claimed), why would you keep putting him in this position? Tell me because I don’t understand. You do know if you don’t post him here, then we won’t talk about it, right? I said this before, and you brought him up again.

Nothing people has said here is more personal than what you said about Chef Marco neither. Tell me what have we said is personal about Chef Panko? He posted a video about knife review using the wrong name. If I call a horse as a donkey, and someone said “But that is a horse”. How is this personal?

3 Likes

You seem to post on this board a lot to get confirmation from others on your choices/preferences etc. on many aspects and you seem to have problems if people disagree with you.

2 Likes

Terminology and accuracy aside, I found Marco’s demonstration and Chef Panko’s to be apples and oranges. Marco showed how to dice or brunoise an onion. Whether you can do it as quickly or with such finesse was not the point. It is a terrific technique (or two!), and the demonstration was crystal clear. I am not sure what the take-away from Chef Panko was other than that there are a variety of grips and some are better suited to some strokes than others. He did illustrate that, but I did not find it particularly instructive. We will each develop grips we like, and with practice those grips will naturally become more refined.

2 Likes

This is because you are a good chef/cook. Teaching pinch grip is great for beginners. It let us all focus one grip at a time. To me, it is like a math teacher teaching one way to solve a math equation. It isn’t the only way, but it is a good approach to focus students with one approach first. However, once we understood the pinch grip, then we are not limited to it. Chef Marco video to be honest isn’t really about knife grip but what to do with onion. He never said that we all need to grip the knife like him to cut the onions.

Panko video is a good instructional video for beginners. I think it is rather unfortunate to keep bringing up him against Chef Marco because Panko himself unlikely wants to be part of this argument. It is like I go up to Mike Tyson and tell him what a horrible boxer he is, and then turn around and point to my friend and say “Mike! See my friend over here? He is a better boxer than you!”. No sure any of my friends wants to be in that situation, you know?

4 Likes

:rofl:

Thanks for a good laugh there, @Chemicalkinetics

3 Likes

You think your friend could whoop Tyson’s ass? Mike Tyson is a friend of mine and I’m embarrassed by your personalizations about him.

Ray, you gotta get over the fact that we all have different perspectives on this. ChemKin makes a good point. The knife video is a nice clip for beginners who are just getting cutting on. Most on here, though not pros, have cut a lot of onions, carrots, meats. The use of the onion in Marco’s video intrigues a lesser cook, like myself, and motivates us to move up a level. That video was captivating.

If you’re endeared to Chef Panko, post his stuff; but expect the unexpected, bud. we’re not all going to embrace him. Seems like a nice fella. Sure he’s good to his mamma. Love to have a brew with him. For me, he’s just kind of ho-hum to watch, a good ho-hum, though.

I always liked Justin Wilson. Now, there’s a home cook on TV (back in the 80’s). You’d never even notice any knife skills, or whatnot. His thing wasn’t about technique, it was Cajun soul. You might hate that. I like it. Sorry. People love Alton Brown and Guy Fieri. I’m not a big fan of either. I do see what others can like about them. I’m sure not going to be agitated if my friend says Wilson is like watching paint dry and Fieri is the shizzle. I still like Wilson.

Please don’t post more Panko videos; or be prepared to accept that others aren’t as stoked by him as are you. Save you some pain, man.

Honkman and I had a healthy debate about beer. I’d still love to have a cold one with him. I bet we’d get along just dandy. I doubt if either of us takes a difference of opinion as not liking the other. I’ll still try his recs, too, if I can find them.

I totally got into Li Ziqi videos last year. Got skills that way transcend the kitchen. You might despise those zen-like videos. They put me back in focus.

Tell Panko, “hi.” nobody dissed the dude, though.

5 Likes

Never been a chef except in my home kitchen and not always even there!

Hi Greg,

It takes 4 or 5 years of rigorous training, some in Japan, to become a sushi Chef–and Chef Panko isn’t Japanese. He has had responsibilities for training restaurant workers in the Netherlands, but his recent interests are in reviewing knives. He’s done many reviews of knives that he’s mostly bought with his own money. His reviews have been validated by others.

He’s got credentials in knives. I don’t.

It’s his reviews of knives from China that brought us together: he’s been the professional from Europe; I’ve been able to help him understand the American home cook.

When there are issues related to kitchen knife safety, he’s someone I trust.

Ray

3 Likes

Here’s how Chef Panko describes himself:

Ray

You should ask your friend Chef Panko what he thinks of these 100+ posts you have help created for him under the subtitle of “Chef Panko is better than Chef Marco”. He will probably react in horror.

1 Like

It is more than Panko’s name was bought up. It is how Panko’s name has been bought up.
Numerous provocative statements were made to put down Macro’s video:

• “Marco seems to be almost a comical alternative. I don’t know why Marco chose a “beater” knife with a belly (or that cutting board)–or how he taught himself to hold that knife. Does he really think he knows enough to teach a culinary student or anyone else anything about prepping onions?”
  • “…he’s [Marco] almost comical–if all we’re considering is how to cut up an onion.”
  • “ I don’t think he’s [Marco] really gotten into the world of the home cook–yet. His knife skill exhibitions are not very good models for home cooks in this video, either.”
    ……

Later Panko was bought in as a justification how unqualified Marco is in many areas.

• “Marco’s video is not a good example. Chef Panko does a better job”
  • “Marco’s not teaching, he’s showing off. Chef Panko is teaching,….”

Panko was bought into a fight that I doubt he wants to be part of, and then we have someone wondering why many people disagree with Panko. Maybe it is the simple fact that Panko was bought into a very unpopular situation by his “friend” – that’s why.

1 Like

Perfect example of different perspectives. He’s your knife safety go-to. I could give pinch-o-shit about knife safety. I’m safe enough to stay out of the hospital (usually.) I’d rather watch my dog clean himself than watch a knife safety video. Again, no disrespect to Che Panko. Just not what I’m looking for. Unless he’s reviewed the Kiwi line, I’m out.

You, on the other hand, like that intricacy. You’re a detail appreciating guy. You have to admit to having a bit of bias towards Mr. Panko. Watch his videos until you explode, Ray. Just don’t expect us all to appreciate that the same way you do.

I liked watching Marco’s skills; but, more importantly, he taught me something. Credentials don’t mean as much to me. I don’t like Pepin because of any credentials. His show was/is very informative, and inspirational. He made me want to make that omelette, coq au vin, etc.

Nothing against Mr. Panko at all. His videos are tapioca to me, compared to the hot tamale Marco. That’s my perspective.

I’ve had 18 years rigorous training in a jail, and 28 years in schools. First five years were really rigorous.
Nobody gives a sht. It’s what I do with that training from here on out that makes me a success or failure. I’m a counselor, and I have to accept that some kids won’t take to me. Maybe I look like the guy that abused them. Maybe my style doesn’t suit them. Maybe I smell like mothballs. So long as a kid in trauma has someone to go to, I’m cool; so long is that someone is one I’d trust not to take advantage of them. Some kids I have to open the door for 10 years before they’ll come talk to me. Some kids, 30 seconds and they’re spilling everything on me. Why can’t these kids acknowledge my credentials? I taught all their uncles and parents. Oh, that’s right, kids don’t care. They follow their gut, like the rest of us.

8 Likes

Wonderfully stated.
And if they are smart they eat well around you :wink:

Hi Chem,

I don’t see why. He does come by from time to time–and I often have to do some apologizing for some of my friends.

Ray

Hi Greg,

Chef Panko did review the KIWI. . .

Ray

Sweet. I’ll watch that one.

Chem,

There’s no fight at all. IMO, of course.

I like Marco as a celebrity Chef/cook a great deal–and I said so both in the other thread and here.

As a multicultural teacher of knife skills, he’s not even in the game. He’s even a source of humorous satire for his onion trick among his peers.

For those interested in emulating TV personalities in their home kitchens, Chef Panko lacks Pizazz.

That’s fine with me.