June/July 2018 - DOTM - Vegan/Vegetarian

Let’s celebrate the fruits (and vegetables) of summer!

IMG_0612

Restaurant dishes are also welcome, because we are an inclusive people. :wink:

4 Likes

Might sneak a little anchovie into the mix.:blush:

Yum Yum!

I’ll post my weekly salads. I’ll eat a salad a week for the next 3 months!

What is the dish you posted?

A question: is this about a specific dish of the month, or anything vegetarian? Thanks!

Anything vegetarian, but hopefully featuring all the lovely produce available to us in summer. And of course: favorite road-trip snacks, picnic and block party foods, and beach/boating/camping food!

Whatever vegetarian/vegan delicious to you in summertime. And you don’t even have to be a vegetarian to share. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, I’m not a vegetarian but my son is so I make quite a bit of veggie food. The only seasonal part of this recipe for Pizza Beans (gigantes) from smittenkitchen was the oregano (not called for in the recipe) from the Earthboxes. It was tasty and healthy, though. I used collards in place of kale because that’s what I had.

(sorry for the meh pictures.)

2 Likes

I’ve seen that pizza beans recipe all over the internet. Was it good?

It was good, but not life-changing. I cooked the soaked gigantes, which I had in the cabinet, in the Instantpot for 30 minutes with 19 minutes natural pressure release. They were a little bit overcooked. I’d like to try the dish with slightly smaller beans because the jumbo beans were a little dry without much fat. That said, I’d make it again and experiment a bit.

1 Like

Sounds like a great dish for the Instapot.

For an elegant fruit salad, add a bit of sugar or honey to a mixture of blueberries, halved green grapes, and sliced kiwi, stir gently, and chill while the fruit macerates. The exuded juices make the fruit glisten like jewels. Serve as is for a light dessert or appetizer, or over ice cream or for shortcake.

2 Likes

Broccoli Pesto:

1/2 lb blanched broccoli
1 bunch, basil, more or less
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup olive oil
salt
pepper
2 garlic cloves
4 ou. cream cheese
1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
Juice from a 1/4 a lemon

Blend it all in processor. All ingredients are to taste, those listed above are just guides, I’ll start with a basic recipe, then change it to suit my taste.

I served it as a side for dinner last night. I’m eating it as a cold soup with my sandwhich for lunch today and tomorrow I’m going to spread some on garlic bread, then top with with mozza cheese and bake at 400F till cheese is bubbly. It’s a tasty, versatile side dish.

In Asia I always seek out vegetarian places to eat. Vegetarian and/or vegan food is a non-issue in Asia. Just want to show you these beautiful (not to mention delicious) meals I ate during my 2 day stay at a temple in Koyasan, Japan. Goma tofu is a speciality of Koyasan temple/vegetarian cuisine. It’s a type of “tofu” made from sesame paste. There are recipes online, maybe you want to give it a go.

White dome in blue bowls is goma tofu. I think it’s eaten at every meal.

Beautiful and delicious food, and you really don’t need a huge portion. How I like the philosophy of the Japanese: “Let little seem like much. So long as it’s fresh and natural.” I have to add “and also beautifully presented”!

White square in blue bowl is goma tofu.

5 Likes

What beautiful meals. I love the balance and thoughtfulness of Japanese cuisine.

1 Like

Corn chowder.

6 Likes

Beautiful! Sesame tofu sounds delicious… I am going to look for a recipe for it. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Black Beans, Corn and Cheese Dip

Another Smokeydoke (kinda) creation, sorry for the bad recipe writing. I winged this dish but I thought it tasted good, so I’m going to share.

16 oz can of black beans, drained
1 ear of corn, boiled and shucked
1/2 onion chopped finely
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp of chili powder
1/8 tsp of cumin
1 cup of white, melty cheese (I used pepper gouda because that’s what I had, but mozzarella, pepperjack, or even white cheddar could work)
2 oz of cream cheese
salt and pepper

1. Cook the onions till soft over med high heat. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
  2. Add the corn, spices and black beans. Simmer for five mins.
  3. Take off the heat and add the cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.
    (if you want better directions, just ask)

This was unusually tasty, I was expecting something akin to AllRecipes.com but I was pleasantly surprised at the layers of flavors and the complexity of the dish (cream cheese and all)!

I made a batch and had some as a decadent side with dinner. I couldn’t resist and had some later with corn chips. It would work great as a rice bowl with pan-fried tofu thrown on top. Or just nuke it and eat it straight as a decadent snack!

It was also ridic inexpensive too. #whatireallyeat

1 Like

WARNING: A LOT OF PHOTOS. HIT BACK BUTTON NOW TO EXIT IF YOU ARE ON A SLOW CONNECTION.

Maybe some ideas for you? Here are some of mine, lacto-ovo vegeatarian safe.

Japanese-style soft tofu with furikake.

Buckwheat and beetroot “risotto”.

Austrian pancakes with cherry compote.

Potato dumplings, the sweet version. I like to drench them maple syrup.

Savoury/not sweet version of the dumplings above.

Tofu and red cabbage kimchi.

Wraps with mushrooms and beetroot hummus.

Creamy millet with rhubarb.

Omelette with asparagus.

Eggs rolled in furikake.

Cheesy pasta.

The original mac & cheese.

Risotto with seared king trumpets.

Steamed beaten eggs with ginger and Sichuan preserved vegs.

Austrian potato things. No idea what the name is in English.

Barley “risotto” with beetroots.

Tempeh.

Korean rice sticks 2 ways.

Japanese-style braised pumpkin/squash.

Pasta with squash sauce.

Pumpking spreads.

Tempeh balls with flatbreads.

Roasted cauliflower.

Potato frittata.

I make Austrian food often, in case you haven’t noticed.

Avocado with nori. I just drizzle some sesame oil over it.

There’s probably more but I think it’s quite enough :cold_sweat: I eat meat only once a week, twice if there’s leftovers. If it was possible to get all my nutrients from cheese and bread then I would rather eat nothing else. :cheese::cheese::cheese:

4 Likes

:heart_eyes:
If i was on the other side of the Atlantic i would invite myself over for dinner. Probably definitely all the time. (I would bring some nice reisling and nyc bagels!)

3 Likes

50,000,000 likes .

3 Likes

Beautiful!
How do you make the tempeh balls?