Italian Hoagies-LA

@chienrouge agree with your assessment. The good delis in LA/OC (which are admittedly far and few between) all slice the deli meats to order. The bread is the difference. I’ll take the bread at Bay Cities, Cortina’s and even Claro’s any day over the chains.

Jersey Mike’s is the best of the chains though. Better than Subway, Togos, Quiznos and Jimmy Johns. Never had Firehouse.

2 Likes

Thanks @js76wisco I need to revisit Bay Cities and check out Cortina’s and Claro’s never been to those latter two.

Yeah, I can see that depending on what you get, but that’s faint praise. I love the system and alacrity of Jimmy Johns, and the giant pickle option - that’s about it - there’s something off about that meat etc for me.

Lemme know what you think if you ever get to an Uncle Paulie’s - “authenticity” aside for whatever that means, it was pretty good - I liked the sesame seeds and the meat and cheese and topping quality was high. I see they now opened up a DTLA location and a Studio City shop, in addition to the one on 3d St.

Uncle Paulie’s Deli – Always a Pleasure (unclepauliesdeli.com)

2 Likes

I went to Jersey Mike’s. Didn’t get the Italian. Went with a cheesesteak instead. Never going back. Didn’t like the bread. The meat tasted off - just generally lacked the aroma of a good cheesesteak. While I can’t speak for hoagie, I do know that’s not the bread I want. FWIW, if we’re talking fast(er) food chains, Philly’s Best is where we generally go for hoagies and cheesesteaks.

2 Likes

I refuse to go to Philily’s Best because they give you 3 (yes, 1, 2, 3) onion rings per order. WTF

2 Likes

What, no!?!? They screwed you. Whenever we get onion rings, it’s literally half a bag full that’s overflowing the cardboard tray it comes in!

1 Like

Sopresatta procuit roast beef mozz pepper relish

5 Likes

Not quite an Italian Hoagie, but the OMG at Heroic Italian is pretty delicious. High quality bread (more of a focacia than a sub roll) + imported meats!

1 Like

Cool looks like a good sandwich online. I’ll try to get there.

1 Like