I'm going to give Tart Tatin a try

I’m not exactly a natural in the kitchen but my confidence has grown lately thanks to success with a few dishes. So, I think I’m going to see if I can pull off a nice peach Tart Tatin either tonight or tomorrow.

Here’s the thing; I’m wondering if an electric burner will do a good job with the caramel cook (sugar and butter before adding the pears)???

2 Likes

Any heat source should be fine for making your caramel. Are you using peaches or pears? If peaches, you may want to pre-cook them a bit to encourage them to release some of their juices (which can then be reduced separately and added back to the fruit). Otherwise you might end up with a somewhat soupy result.

1 Like

I’m doing pears for that reason, I assumed peaches would be too juicy but your suggestion is spot on. Could even add brandy or something to it for a thick glaze to drizzle over it (but believe me, I have no idea what I’m talking about other than what I’ve seen in a magazine or TV).

i don’t see that there is a problem with the heat source, but I would use a heavy pan (I use a mild steel pan). If the fruit is too juicy, you can dry it out a bit in the oven prior to cooking.

Wow. I loved the taste of tart tatin. I made them on a cheap $500 electric oven years before and it turned out great.

I think the pan just needs to reach around 320F to carmelize the sugar and you’re good.

I made it with apples and pears. I tried with cherries and it was a disaster. It turned into a puddle of juice and water - super yuck. Never doing that again with a watery fruit.

I’ll bet this could be really good if you cook the cherries down a bit before adding to the caramel - otherwise, you’re right, it’s going to be too juicy. Should work with pineapple, too.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Sorry, having trouble with the editor.

The end of a Tarte Tatin I made.

I don’t make caramel and add the apples. Instead, I put butter, sugar, and the apples into the pan, then turn on the heat, and while the butter is melting the apples give up their juices. Then I turn up the heat so the sugar and the apple juices both caramelize, and then I put the pastry onto the apples. It results in the apples collapsing and not holding their shape, but I don’t mind that.

I bought a special Tarte Tatin pan made by Emile Henry, but have yet to use it.