Ideas for the Cooking board (COTM/ DOTM, etc.)?

I would be interested in Dish of the month . Not very interested in cookbooks and their recipes.

7 Likes

I would be interested in Dish of the Month as well!

4 Likes

What I miss most about CH are the cooking boards.

The Home Cooking and General Discussion areas of Chowhound was really special. There was so much knowledge and love for food in one place. I don’t know of any place on the internet that even comes close at this point. I guess it’s still the best place, but a mere shadow of its former glory.

I joined CH late & witnessed some uncharitable snapping at restaurant pros who commented, but I was grateful and learned a lot. Possibly the grouchiest of the lot did not come over. . .

Many of the serious cook / posters here seem to be from South America / Europe ( e.g. What’s for Lunch, What’s for Dinner). I would love to learn more from them. Whatever the format.

Would that fit under Cuisine of the Month?

I’ve noticed that also. It’s one of the things that initially intrigued me about this site.

I’ve never run a thread before, so I’m not sure what’s involved. I’m leaning towards a DOTM for a test run, ideally a dish that exposes us to new ideas and versions from all over. Maybe meatballs, or chicken and rice. One of the things I’ve taught my son is that he can go nearly anywhere in the world and have chicken and rice. :slight_smile:

All you have to do is pick a topic and post about it. After that the thread takes on a life of its own and you never know for sure what direction it will take. I strongly encourage you to give it a try!

2 Likes

Ditto what notJR says. Chicken and rice is a good idea, go for it!

I’ve poked a toe into starting a thread, but I don’t understand. If the OP asks a question, is it good manners to respond to each reply? (This questions is probably a good example of bad thread org. But while we’re on the topic. . . )

1 Like

Just want to say DoTM rightly deserves its very own thread to garner attention or interest.

And please do join us on those WFD and WFL threads :beers:

1 Like

:blush:Oh, Presunto, would love to join you Food Artists but gonna hafta up my game.

Don’t worry about the part about presentation and photography. We cook and learn from each other. I think that’s far more fun and important.

2 Likes

I think with the case of dish of the month or such, the original poster doesn’t need to respond to everyone posting. I think it is more an interactive between everyone who is participating in the dish of the month thread that month.

I think it’s more of an impersonal thread as opposed to a thread where one specifically asks a question. In those such cases it would be polite to try to respond to people. I always have the attitude that if people take the time to respond, they deserve a response.

1 Like

I’ll start for DOTM. All votes shall be in capital letters .
PASTA
SPRING VEGETABLES

2 Likes

SPRING VEGETABLES

(Asparagus is 1 of my spring elixirs and I eat a lot of it. In about 2 weeks time!)

Yes. . . We could start with CHICKEN AND RICE and wait on the spring veg until everyone’s caught up?

1 Like

CHICKEN AND RICE ( I’m thinking to make a Basque recipe :thinking: )

1 Like

Because it is already the first of April 1, I’m going to make an executive decision and start an inaugural DOTM thread for CHICKEN AND RICE.

I hope you all don’t mind! We can do nominations and voting next month, yeah? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here is a link to the thread I started, I put it on the wrong thread. (Have I mentioned I haven’t done this before?)

(I don’t know how to do thread to thread links. I also need to learn how to do polls before next month; message me if you can provide a short tutorial. Thanks!)

5 Likes

Too busy these days, I miss this post, sure will try to contribute next week, can you believe me? No chicken at home now?!

In winter 2016, HO tried an edition of DOTM / COTM on dumplings, the feedback was disappointing, more people participated to the voting but not a lot of contributions. I think since we aren’t a big crowd and we are all busy people, the ingredients should be simple to find, and themes not too restrictive. I think the DOTM this time has a lot more success than the last try! @bookwich, congrats for the brave just do it!

1 Like

I agree, and thank you @Bookwich! As I mentioned above, I also think a Cuisine of the Month (or Quarter) could be very successful here, with our smaller group - a longer time would give people more opportunity to participate, and broadening the theme to a whole cuisine would encourage cookbook users to plumb their whole collection for the best of the best recipes. Improvisational cooks would also be able to participate and share their creativity! Something to think about going forward…

1 Like

I tried to get the Duncan Hines thread moved over here, but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. As long as SFBA and NJ are in the majority I don’t see how to increase members beyond those borders. I don’t think I’m alone in not being in one of those categories, but we are scattered everywhere and there’s nothing to talk about. General interest topics would be welcome. I can’t blame folks who live in big cities, just that we’re here too.