Ideas for cooking halibut

I like the one I have, but I’ll take another one, sure.

1 Like

We only eat wild salmon raw as in Nigriri or Sashimi and / or ceviche, and / or for a brunch smoked or Gravlax …

We sub the ham or bacon with Smoked Salmon for Eggs Benedict. Very popular here.

Halibut: This fish is usually caught off of the coast of Southern Ireland by Spanish fishermen/fisherwomen …

HIPPOGLOSSUS is the Latin name for this fish.
And its range extends from The Bay of Biscay up to Greenland. If it is caught in Spain´s Waters, it is resasonably priced. Wild: 15 €uros a kilo …

Also it can be found in northern Galician waters & northern Portuguese Waters. It is called “Solla de altura” or Solla or in Spanish Platija. In Portuguese: Called Solha.

1 Like

Trying again and good to know! This time a bargain , on sale at $20.00 usd/pound.

4 Likes

Thinking about making this tonight, and omitting the dried basil and mozzarella.

1 Like

Not sure where you are but I believe “shrinkrap” is here on the West Coast.
Here Yelloweye Rockfish (Sebastes ruberrimus) is called “Red Snapper” it is not Northern Red Snapper (Lutjanus campechanus) that is Red Snapper on the on the East Coast.
I was amazed at the price and then the appearance of “Red Snapper” when I first moved out here!

2 Likes

I’m left with some slightly dry leftover halibut.

I’m thinking about trying one of these recipes.

Or maybe

Dig out the Poisson Cru recipe I posted awhile back.

1 Like

kaleokahu’s Recipe

Cliff’s Poisson Cru

• 1.5 pounds raw, skinless Tombo/Albacore/Thon Rouge Tuna, cubed to about 1"
• Juice of 4-6 limes
• 12-14 oz. fresh or canned unsweetened coconut milk
• 1 cucumber, seeded, then halved and cut into 1/4" thick half moons
• Tomatoes (15 cherry tomatoes halved or 3-4 Romas seeded and chopped coarsely
• 1/2 of a sweet (Maui, Walla Walla) or red onion, sliced thinly
• 2 carrots, grated or sliced very thinly
• Green bell pepper, chopped
• Celery stalks per taste, sliced on the bias
• Parsley per taste, chopped
• Green onions, 1 bunch, chopped
• Black pepper to taste
• Salt (some with the fish and lime juice and more later after, mixed to taste
• Optional: red pepper flakes

In a large non-reactive bowl, stir together the tuna. lime juice, ¼ cup of the coconut milk, and some salt. Let the mix marinate for the 1/2 hour or so it takes to prep the rest of the ingredients. Turn the mix a few times to make sure all the fish gets evenly “cooked” by the lime juice. Note: For a drier finished dish, drain off juice at this point.

Add all the rest of the ingredients, and mix well. Adjust salt and pepper. You can serve it right away, but I prefer for everything to macerate together for at least 15 minutes.

Keeps well for most tastes, refrigerated and covered, for about a day.

3 Likes

Had it handy!

1 Like

Is the consensus that raw halibut is okay? Do you freeze it?

Do you know and trust your fishmonger? I always ask mine “Would YOU eat this raw?” Depending on kind of fish and absolute freshness, will get guidance.

Ithink so. The lime “cooks” it.

I don’t trust the local one I get my fish from locally to know about eating raw fish. I buy online, and I expect those vendors to know, but I don’t recall seeing halibut listed with the raw fish recommendations.

I don’t mind trying risky things, I just want to know what the risks are before I take it. I did enjoy the Poisson Cru recipe @kaleokahu shared!

I thought the concern, at least for Pacific Halibut, was primarily parasites, and that freshness wasn’t the problem and freezing was the solution.

2 Likes

I would freeze any fish before curing or turning it into ceviche. I don’t trust the supply, even at the best fishmongers.

I poach shrimp and other shellfish quickly before making ceviche.

I’m also very cautious. I don’t eat raw clams or oysters.

2 Likes

Halibut sashimi is common in Japan (known as ‘hirame’), but comes with the same precautions and advisories as other large predatory fish. To wit, freeze for at least 4 days at sub-zero temperature (I think the recommendation is actually -4F), and not recommended for very young, very old, pregnant, or immunocompromised people. Freezing should take care of parasites, but does nothing for mercury and other toxins that may accumulate in the flesh, so forewarned is forearmed.

3 Likes

I just inhaled a dozen fanny bay, delivered by the same place I buy fish I plan to eat raw. :yum:

1 Like

I’m dealing with a weak immune system.

I’ve eaten raw oysters and clams in the past. I don’t think I’ve had a raw oyster in a decade. I fry them and Rockefeller them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm. I’ve been sous-viding halibut to 120F, with no ill effects (so far…).

1 Like