I scream, you scream... [NJ]

Dover Dairy Maid on rt 46 has amazing Italian Ice. Sign says homemade and I believe them, I only tried the lemon but there were little bits of lemon in the ice and a great natural flavor. The consistency of the ice itself is how I remember it as a kid, not that super smooth stuff out of a machine that we seem to get down here in Monmouth County at Strollos, Ritas, etc, but rather a grainy feel in the mouth…if that makes sense. Anyway, if you’re in the area give it a shot.

1 Like

I’ll tell you where not to go… Days on Ocean Grove boardwalk.

Now I go back a long ways with Days, I lived in OG for a while and they have long been my favorite ice cream shop in the area. But I haven’t gone out for much ice cream recently.

Last week I went out with some friends and their kids and stopped by the boardwalk Days for some ice cream. It was garbage.

You know the difference between “premium” ice cream (like Haagen Dazs/Ben+Jerrys) that are dense, creamy where the ice cream is almost chewy, vs cheapo ones that are light with a ton of air mixed in, which crystalizes easily… their ice cream was fully in the cheap airy camp. I don’t fucking go out to an ice cream shop and pay 4 bucks for a scoop to get god damn cheap ass factory ice cream that’s half air. This place blows now. So sad.

2 Likes

Just talked to my friend who I had the ice cream with. She says she went to the “real” Days in OG and their ice cream is still the good kind! Strange that they would have different ice creams at locations less than a mile apart.

1 Like

Well, I picked some awesome local strawberries today, cut them up, added cream, milk, sugar, and balsamic and a touch of cold, and I now have the best ice cream in NJ in my freezer.

4 Likes

What time will that be set? :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Anyone remember picking strawberries at Laurino’s farm in Tinton Falls? Sniff… (still not over it)

@CurlzNJ I was at the Highlands calm fest last night and saw a truck called D’ice and he is from mexico. I got one of his business cards. It appears to be kind of like a Mexican style Italian ice but I think they use real fruit…Maybe like a cross between a smoothie and Italian ice. I’m not sure, but I was intrigued. I didn’t get anything since I already tanked a lemonade, a cheese steak, a lobster roll and some coconut shrimp :slight_smile:

Can you, or anyone, pull up anything on his Facebook page? D’ice from long branch. I’d like to stop by one of these hot august days.

I searched and nothing came up for D’ice.

Wow—sounds like my kind of stuff! I’m wondering if @gcaggiano knows anyone at the clam fest who could help…

I’m not on facebook either but they have a public facebook page you don’t need to be a member to access.

https://www.facebook.com/Dicedelights/

I’ve had this type of fruit ice in Mexico from street vendors and little stands in alleys. It’s very refreshing when made right.

1 Like

@RGR @CurlzNJ @gcaggiano

OK I found the site. https://www.facebook.com/Dicedelights/

Jeff, thanks for the reply. You beat me by a minute lol. If you and Dave want to try this place and possibly lava BBQ in LB, I’m around. I’m around next week but only after 5. I can do lunch or dinner the week after that. My right hand man Anthony is out this coming week so I can’t do any lunches unfortunately. @NotJrvedivici l almost forgot you but I didn’t :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bent Spoon is great but the place can be a zoo at times (lines out the door and down the street). I prefer Halo Pub, which seems to have a cult following in the Princeton area.

I’m in. Will be in Pittsburgh next weekend and then in nyc for a trade show through wednesday, so after that please. Or I guess I could do dinner this Tuesday.

I’m in LBI till a week from Monday. I’ll be around all the rest of that week so maybe a lunch the week of the 13th when @seal is back.

Sounds good Jeff. Have a great time down there.

So I went back last night to the clam fest and wanted to try more trucks/stands. I went to the Mexican truck and the ice drinks are called raspados. These are new to me so excuse my lack of knowledge on Mexican desserts lol. I got a pineapple and my friend got a tamarind one. I have to say these are really tasty on a hot summer night. Next time I show up I’m bringing some rum with me lol. :wink:

Dinner would actually work for me Tuesday too. Just let me know Dave. I haven’t had any BBQ in a few weeks, so I’m definitely in the mood…or we could do some Jacks wings and wait until Jeff is available.

Hey, I am the food editor for The Record and just went on an ice cream food crawl with four kids (our experts). Here’s my advice: go to Ice Cream by Mike in Ridgewood. Get the drunken cherry bourbon. You’re welcome

3 Likes

Let me know what day/time(s) you guys decide and I will see if I’m free. Work has been a bit crazy but I would be glad to join if I can. (enjoy LBI @BossaNova)

Mrs. P made passion fruit sorbet with blueberries, grapes, and fresh homegrown mint. She used the ice cream attachment to our Kitchen aid mixer. It was very refreshing.

3 Likes