Hungry Onion Drooling Q&A with Christopher Kimball (Dec 7, 2016 3-3:45pm ET)

love that you’re going to bring in things from other cultures. I liked the old magazine’s focus on American foods, but sometimes thought it was a little limiting. Is there a favorite non American cuisine of yours that might see some special focus? and if it’s Thai cooking, what’s your next favorite?

2 Likes

How much of the “Celebrity Chef” area of kitchen appliances/gadgets is just slapping a name on something, as opposed to actually putting out a good product that they were hands-on with?

What else can one do with a primitive art degree? And cooking, one might say, is a primitive art!

4 Likes

I think that Maillard is a bit overhyped. Does anyone need MORE umami with a steak or roast? Think not. However, there are lots of ingredients that have umami flavors - tomato paste, parmesan, anchovies, etc - that you can use if your dish is low on umami. But when cooking meat, I don’t feel the need to add more umami flavor.

4 Likes

I have always believed that people will pay for good content and should pay for it. In the food world, it is rather odd that folks will pay for a cookbook or a food magazine but they are less likely to pay for recipes online. I would find something that you love to do and stick with and be the best at it and don’t worry about the payment method. It is your passion that will make it work.

2 Likes

All Clad is very good. I used to recommend Tramontina although I bought a set for my hunting cabin and they are a far cry from All Clad. :Personally, I would use carbon steel or cast iron for a skillet and cast iron for a Dutch oven and then a cheap stock pot ($25). Then all you need is a decent saucepan.

4 Likes

Martha Stewart has had great success with her new TV show where she teams up with Snoop Dogg - so have you ever thought about doing rap songs about food and cooking?

1 Like

My favorite place to eat around Milk Street is AT 177 Milk Street. I always make the mistake of going out to get a sandwich and then find 5 great dishes sitting in the kitchen when I get back. There is a GREAT little coffee shop near the Hilton (near Custom House Street) that I go to every AM. Lovely people run it - large coffee is $1.50.

3 Likes

Rabbit by far. Braise the legs and cook the small loins very quickly.

3 Likes

The wokshop.com is great - very good prices and cool stuff.

3 Likes

Did not do pigs last year but maybe again this year. The bacon is fabulous - more meaty and richly flavored. And there is more fat on the meat and more flavor for all cuts. And the hams are terrific as well. Yes, major difference.

4 Likes

Do you think that the water really affects food, specifically bagels/pizza in NYC?

1 Like

It’s not a question of next favorite. I could land just about anywhere and find 20 new ideas that I love. What I like best is simplicity married to big bold flavors. That is how most of the world cooks. We just went to Peru and Mexico. I would love to do Burma, Iran, and more north Africa for starters and Goa of course!

5 Likes

We tested the water in NYC once and it made NO difference in the bagels. But, if you have lousy water, you can taste the difference if you use the good stuff, even in a loaf of bread.

2 Likes

Can you clarify what is ‘good’ water? Like clean, neutral tasting one?

What are your favorite spices?

1 Like

It depends. I think that Rachael Ray has done a very good job with her products. I like many of them. Some others have done just what you suggest - license their name without much thought to the products. Those deals usually do not do very well.

3 Likes

I bought spices in Morocco a few years ago and they were totally different that anything I had ever tasted. I would search for spices grown in very dry areas. Just take a whiff and you should smell the difference immediately.

4 Likes

Now it makes sense that you brought Naomi Duglid, etc to do a segment on Milk Street!

Those are all places with great flavors btw!

What do you wear when you are just walking around shopping or hanging out? Is it still the bowtie?