Hudson Valley Restaurant Week Spring 2019 -- March 11 thru 24

I just got email from Liberty Street Bistro in Newburgh saying that they’re going to be offering their entire menu for HVRW (lobster has a $5 supplement on the menu and will still have one, presumably the same amount). I just made a reservation. Here is the link to their menu, which is interesting because there are 4 courses, so presumably you can decide if you want dessert or an appetizer or pasta as your 3rd course. They are only doing HVRW on Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday.

http://libertystreetbistro.com/menu-1

They also offer a wine pairing, $20 for 3 courses.

1 Like

So how was Hudson Valley Steakhouse?

It was really good! I posted a review on the other site – I guess you didn’t see it? Here is HV Steakhouse and The Rare Bit.

Wednesday night we ate at Hudson Valley Steakhouse in Yorktown. I had my doubts about this place but I live in Yorktown and had been curious about it for a long time so I figured I would give it a try. It was really good! First the restaurant is quite attractive inside, not what you’d expect from the location across the street from BJ’s. The food was excellent, and it was from their normal menu. I started with the portobello mushroom topped with melted mozzarella cheese. The captain who took my order claimed it was a jumbo mushroom but it really wasn’t that big, but that was really my only complaint. My wife had baked clams and said they were good. For entrees, my wife had the NY Strip and I had the salmon. They did not say what size the steak was but it’s listed on the regular menu as 16 ounces for $39.95 and I could believe that was what she got. My salmon came with a cream sauce and they actually cooked it properly medium rare (maybe a little less than that, but that was fine). I’m often disappointed when I order it that way and it comes out overcooked (or worse, when the server looks at me like I’m speaking a foreign language when I try to order it that way). For desert, the menu on the website said they had chocolate mousse cake but they had tartufo on the restaurant menu. That was fine with me since I love tartufo and it did not disappoint! My wife had the cheesecake. Both were excellent; only criticism would be that the cheesecake was drizzled with chocolate sauce and it didn’t need it. The bread was good but was a little cold. But other than those issues (and I am being unnecessarily picky) it was an excellent meal and I would definitely recommend that others check it out for HVRW. At their regular prices, I’m not so sure.

Friday we had lunch at The Rare Bit. The food was good but the service was terrible. We waited over 30 minutes (closer to 45) to get our appetizers. The server was walking around and I noticed that she seemed shocked when we had not received them and went into the kitchen, but she never came over to apologize for (or say anything about) the delay and she didn’t even deliver them herself. Dessert also took a while to arrive. Granted they were busy and it was their first HVRW lunch, but they’ve been open for a while so they should have figured things out in the kitchen by now. Appetizers we ordered were the Welsh Rarebit, Halloumi (fried cheese) and Gin Cured Salmon. For entrees two of us ot the Fish & Chips and my son got the Chicken Tikka Masala. Desserts we ordered were the Sticky Chocolate Pudding (more like a very moist piece of cake) and the Eton Mess (whipped cream, strawberries and charcoal meringue. The food was decent enough but I’m not sure I’d go back.

Here’s what I posted on Opentable for The Cookery:

We had another great Restaurant Week meal at The cookery. Food was excellent and I especially enjoyed the Branzino en croute (not sure why a reviewer on Opentable said they hated it). It was a huge portion and the best fish I’ve ever had there (and regularly $29 on the menu). I’ve had their “market fish” before (which was also on the RW menu, it was salmon the night we were there) and this was totally different and just amazing. The Panna Cotta dessert special was excellent (and yes, those are Fruity Pebbles), possibly the best PC I’ve ever had. They also had a lamb heart as the appetizer special and while I did not try it, one person in my party did and said it was good. Two complaints. First, two members in my party had the wonderful Buttery Salty Potatoes. The portion sizes were not the same, one had much more than the other, but the one with less potatoes had more sauce (go figure). Second, the RW menu listed a Market Steak with no surcharge. But the night we were there the steak was a 14 ounce bone-in NY Strip with a $15 surcharge. That might be a reasonable price to charge but there should have been an available option with no surcharge. The two people in my party who had planned to get the steak had pastas instead, which were excellent. But getting pasta instead of steak makes the RW menu less of a good deal for the customer (but obviously better for the restaurant).

2 Likes

Thanks! The prices though, at HV steakhouse normally are very high - higher than Lenny’s in Armonk. I’d like to try the Rare Bit for the Sunday roast. Otherwise the menu does not really appeal to me.

I was being generous, there is no way I’d go back at regular price. However, the food was very good and definitely worth HVRW prices. They seem to be doing very well for HVRW, a friend who went after I recommended it said it was very busy the night she went.