How to do this with Asparagus

Hello,

I’m going to try this creamy garlic chicken recipe tonight (although, I’m going to try adding a little white wine in the reduction) and was hoping someone could help me out with a small detail. My wife and I would like to have a side of asparagus, baked in the oven separate from the main dish and then finished off in the sauce for the last 10 minutes or so. The problem is, I don’t know how long to cook the asparagus before finishing it off in the braiser with the main dish.

Any thoughts?

I think you may be over complicating this. Why not just blanch the asparagus to the desired tenderness and set aside. Then serve your chicken dish over it.

3 Likes

Asparagus will cook to “al dente” in about five minutes. So, I think you’re looking at either baking it or cooking it in the sauce, but not really both.

2 Likes

Have a steam basket or similar setup? Clean, shave and steam the asparagus the last few minutes of the entree dish. They should still have a snap as @Harters suggests.

2 Likes

I’d go with steaming, as @Rooster said. You can steam in probably 5 minutes max (to tender-crisp), depending on the thickness of the stalks, then drizzle a bit of the sauce over top for plating.

If you don’t have a steamer basket, use the microwave. I’ve never tried this method, but TheKitchn is usually reliable.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-steam-asparagus-in-the-microwave-243306

Agree with @Rooster and @LindaWhit. However, I have begun to flash poach (peeled) asparagus in, say, half to 3/4 inch water in a frying pan. It cooks in a couple of minutes, is easily drained and iced if you wish. Always tender-crisp. Very simple, no special equip needed.

3 Likes

Good to know.