How do you like your tea?

There has been some discussion on the Chain Coffee Shops- What do you order thread about tea.
Thought that there may be enough interest to open a new thread.
So how do you enjoy your tea?
Cream, sugar or splash of alcohol?

5 Likes

Double Bergamot with a tsp sugar.

3 Likes

Milk & 2 sugars. My wife has to have cream or 1/2 & 1/2. My sis takes hers unadulterated.

“Your tea is out!” heard every day in our house.

2 Likes

Oh. Me? I usually enjoy my tea without adding anything. Usually just about water temperature and steep time.
In the rare occasion that I add something, then it will be cream/milk to the tea.

2 Likes

Tea plan today. First, Sencha, then Puerh with dried citric peel

7 Likes

It depends on the tea. Green or fermented teas I brew light and drink straight. Black teas are brewed stronger but not too strong and are nice with a slice of lemon or one lump of sugar and a little milk. My great grandmother loved 2/3 Oolong and 1/3 gunpowder. I love it light and straight or a tad darker with one lump. Darjeeling is one tea I like dark with sugar. I will not turn down Earl Grey but am not a fan of bergamot because bombs.

4 Likes

Usually a tea bag with milk. Generally the kind of strength as shown below at D.

My favourite tea is Thompsons ( previously Punjana, a name I preferred)It’s a blend of Kenyan and Assam teas. Only available at Morrisons’ supermarkets, which are far more prevalent in the North of England, than where I am. I usually buy about 5 packets at a time and virtually nothing else I find myself near a Morrisons.

376456011_0_640x640

4 Likes

Teas of any kind almost always with sugar or fake/stevia. Black/green/white teas of all kinds almost always additionally with cream. Unless I’m going to drink it cold, in which case I skip the cream. For breakfasts I really like teas with the toasted rice bits in it and will go heavy on the cream & sugar.

Where I get conflicted is when I do what I did today - steeped a fruit tea together with black pekoe and went back/forth on the cream Y/N question. Eventually decided it was too acidic and would likely have curdled the cream. But I wanted to.

Oh - also fairly strong in all regards. Generally double the amount called for per amount of liquid.

2 Likes

I am from the land of “Ceylon Tea.”
I either have tea in its plain state, a cup of hot, golden tea.
Or I add some milk to it, and some sugar too. Not a lot of sugar. Maybe one tea spoon.

In my country many people like ginger tea. A small crushed piece of ginger, and sugar added.
Or they have plain tea with some sugar taken to the palm, licking it occasionally to get sweetness when needed. This is regarded very unsophisticated, and rural.
Or they have plain tea, with a bite of Kitul jaggery. (Kitul is a kind of palm, of which the sap is boiled into treacle, and boiled further in to jaggery.)
Whatever it is, tea is a main part of Sri Lankan life. I am from the upcountry and we have some tea in our garden. I’ve posted some photos before. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

At home, it’s usually earl grey, hot or an herbal tea.
I love “Chinese restaurant tea”, which varies from place to place.

I almost always enjoy it plain–no sugar or cream. Unless I’m making Iced Tea, and then a little sugar and possibly lemon to taste.

I’ve also discovered that mixing teas when making fresh Iced Tea is incredible refreshing. My current favorite is 2 bags black tea, 2 bags Lemon Zinger and 2 bags of raspberry. Steep for 5 minutes in 3 cups boiling water, removed bags but DON’T SQUEEZE! Add water to make 2 qts and chill. Sweeten to taste.

3 Likes

Many years ago I worked for a food company and we bought a lot of tea from Sri Lanka.

I was lucky enough to spend a month in Sri Lanka on holiday and someone at work arranged for me to visit the tea plantation in Haputale.

Wonderful experience and I still haven’t had better tea to this day ( both black and green)

9 Likes

Mate believe me I’ve stayed a month in an Assistant Superintendent’s bungalow of the Glenanore! That was decades ago. One of the Assistant Superintendents was my friend’s dad, and we used to go to his bungalow wherever he worked. It’s a different world. The old British ways were still followed in those bungalows long after the British were gone. Estate bungalows are usually in the middle of the relevant division, and no other people around. Superintendent and Assistant Superintendents are treated with respect and awe.

If you went to Haputale I believe you visited the Adhisham bungalow. Built by the British, currently a Christian monastery. It still has a shingle roof, and is kept in the same old splendour.

4 Likes

I’ve been to a few “tea palaces” (a real one in Boulder, Colo.) that have hundreds of varieties, but mostly it’s been way more limited, packaged, and individually wrapped. I have the kettles and beautiful serving pots–like my Staub:

But these days it’s tea bag citrus green, or citrus camomile at night with hot Technivorm water–straight

3 Likes

Ordinary black tea, hot with lemon and honey (or sugar). Ordinary black iced tea, nothing added. Chinese restaurant tea, nothing added.

5 Likes

Tea is my predominant beverage. I used to drink coffee but my stomach doesn’t like it anymore. I drink Taylors of Harrogate Scottish Breakfast tea in the morning with a little bit of milk and sugar. I don’t sweeten green tea when I drink it. If we have lunch out, I order unsweetened iced tea with lemon. In the afternoon and evening I drink a variety of herbal teas (hot) and sweeten them with honey. When I make a jug of iced tea I don’t sweeten it, sometimes some crushed mint leaves will find their way into my glass, depending on what kind I use.

1 Like

Growing up, tea was always orange pekoe with evaporated milk. My mum still always has a can in the fridge. Now, I drink double bergamot earl grey with half and half. Weaned myself off sugar about a decade ago, but always go for it if I’m not feeling well and am having tea and toast. Have discovered that a local vodka maker, who uses milk to make vodka, also makes a cream liquor. Delicious in tea, as it is just cream, vodka and sugar—no flavourings. https://www.dairydistillery.com/products/vodkow-cream-750ml

2 Likes

When I’m under the weather I turn to a French remedy: Tea with Lemon, Honey and Brandy.
It really help clear up a congested chest.

3 Likes

BOP (broken orange pekoe) is a highly regarded tea among everyone. A little bit expensive too.

Could someone please move this to the drinks board?

I usually like milk tea with some ginger or black pepper. I also like tulsi ginger tea as it is good in taste as well as beneficial for health

2 Likes