Houston trip itinerary

I’m going to be visiting Houston next weekend, Saturday and Sunday with someone else, Monday night and Tuesday-day on my own. Staying downtown, no car. I’m beginning to put together an itinerary, and would appreciate any help along the way.

We’re coming from the Bay Area, and are interested in anything we can’t easily get in the SFBA. For Saturday & Sunday, not interested in bakeries, shrimp, a carb-heavy brunch, alcohol, or standing in line longer than 30 minutes.

I think we’re gonna walk the length of Buffalo Bayou Park on Saturday. We can arrange our path based on food destinations. What’s notable in that area? (the only yelp review for the new Truth BBQ location at 110 S. Heights described a 2 hour wait, so not this!)

What are people’s thoughts on The Original Ninfa’s on Navigation (good or tourist trap?), Brothers Taco House, without a huge schlep is Saigon House our best bet for crawfish and Viet-Cajun, Nam Giao if shrimp is off the table?

Killen’s and Tajas Chocolate Factory sound great but without a car don’t sound doable without taking up the whole day. Are Pit Room or Ray’s BBQ decent choices without crazy waits, or can we do better within a 30 cab ride or with public transportation?

For Monday & Tuesday, I’ll be on my own at the Hyatt Regency with only an hour to spare for lunch, and want a quick breakfast too. Any decent breakfast tacos, Houston/Texas specialties, cool sandwiches nearby?

Besides Pit Room and Ray’s, look into Blood Bros BBQ. That’s good to see Houston has a bunch of new good bbq places, which is nice for spreading out the lines.

Banh mi: Roostar (galleria location), Les Givral’s, Thien An

Other places to consider: Xochi, Tacos Tierra Caliente (the taco stand next to W. Alabama Icehouse), Better Luck Tomorrow, Cafe TH

2 Likes

There’s not a lot downtown. Irma’s is walking distance and is a unique take on Tex-Mex. Astros owner has 2 restaurants walking distance, one fancy one not, menu overlaps: Potente and Osso & Kristalla respectively.

I would definitely go to Ninfa’s on Navigation even though the family doesn’t own it anymore, it’s the experience. Even if you can’t enjoy a NInfarita.

Brennan’s for brunch is the quintessential Houston Sunday brunch and plenty of protein to order there. Sunday dressy attire. Reservations a must. If you prefer Sunday sloppy attire, head for chicken and waffles (or just the chicken) at Breakfast Klub. But there’s typically a line of 20 mins or so there.

For steak and seafood with a view, try Brenner’s on Memorial Drive, 10 minutes from downtown by Uber.

All the best BBQ has a wait, because there is so little of it around downtown, so skip that.

I’ve never walked the bayou, but at least you are doing that in January and not July, which would be a mistake.

Let us know what you did and ate and how you fared with all the restrictions!

3 Likes

Thanks for the responses so far! I’ll do some research on those places. I’ve made tentative reservations at Xochi the night we fly in. We can wander further Saturday night.

It turns out I’ll be by myself from 4pm onward Sunday evening, and I’ll have a refrigerator in my hotel room. I may consider waiting in line at one of the BBQ places (Truth BBQ location at 110 S. Heights ?) and eating leftovers for breakfast and lunch during on Monday since food near the Hyatt looks crappy.

2 Likes

Bryan Caswell’s Jackson Street BBQ is downtown next to Minute Maid Park and gets good reviews but a word on Texas BBQ, early is better as places run out and close when out of meat.

Gee Lambsy, as much as I like you I have to disagree on Irma’s unless you’re on an expense account.

I gave up on the faux original Ninfa’s maybe 10 years ago maybe because I go back to the real Original in the 70s.

I’ll take El Tiempo across the street, yes prices are high but so are the portions to match, even give me Merida over Ninfa’s.

jacksonstbbqhouston.com/menu/

3 Likes

I agree with JC about Merida over Ninfa’s but I’d put it over El Tiempo as well.

For BBQ, I’d like to suggest Buck’s BBQ which is a short two block walk east of the George Brown Convention Center. The proprietor, Jim Buchanan used to work with Wes Jurena at Pappa Charlie’s. Closed Mondays.

Lambsy’s recc for Brennan’s is a great one. I love that place.If you can’t make it for Sunday brunch, try to make a lunch there. Have a martini on me!

Also, you might like to pop into Phoenicia’s downtown outpost. It’s listed as a grocery, but you can easily eat a meal in or out of there.

I hope you enjoy your visit.

3 Likes

You neglect to mention the martinis are but .25 each on weekday lunches, NotDoobs! That’s for people reading “in copy,” because Hyperbowler is not interested in the adult beverage options.

But I stick by my appreciation of the original Ninfa’s, still in the original building. We have taken overseas visitors there (the birthplace of fajitas) and they were charmed in the “Houston is a divey place” sort-a-way. If you don’t want to see structures of Houston food history, El Tiempo is super and also tied to Mama NInfa over the decades since her forever footprint landed on our fair city.

During those times you may prefer to dine in your room with vittles better than room service, well Not Doobs’s suggestion of Phoenicia is spot on for take out of a mediterannean variety primarily.

3 Likes

I would seriously consider eating BBQ on Monday as finding it on Sunday afternoon will be difficult to impossible. Do not pay attention to hours it’s gone when gone and they don’t make extra.

Try Bayou City Seafood for crawfish close to the Galleria.

2 Likes

Funny you should mention that as my recc for bbq, Buck’s, has recently announced full dinner service and should be available late on Sunday.

2 Likes

Still, I’m a firm believer in the earlier the better, old brisket and ribs I’m not fond of.

1 Like

Wow, that was the best recommendation ever! We really liked the breakfast shawarmas, marinated Armenian cheese, and got a bunch of other treats. I’ll be back.

Later in the week I’ll report about other places we visited (Xochi, Ninfas, Saigon House, Bucks soon). I’m probably going to hit Crawfish & Noodles tonight (anyone want to join?) and Riel tomorrow.

Are there any Kolache places a head above the rest? I was considering trekking to the Kolache Shoppe on Heights. If there are better, lemme know, and if it’s a waste of stomach space in general let me know (ones I had at IAH a decade ago were awful, and I imagine there are better to be had. I like polish and polish American food, and am bummed pierogie queen is so far from where I’m staying)

3 Likes

There is Polonia in west Houston. Can’t join in, working a rare Sunday night.

www.poloniarestaurant.com/

1 Like

Note, closed on Mondays.

1 Like

Great! I’ve actually never been to the downtown version but the original is out west by me and I LOVE THAT PLACE! Been going for twenty years or so. Glad you concur.

We look forward to hearing more.

1 Like

Kolache Shoppe is great, and they have unusual stuffing options.

After Pierogi Queen was highly praised by our local food critic queen, I travelled south with my 1st Gen. DH and they were just terrible. Stick with Polonia for pierogi, but know they import from Chicago.

Ive really been wanting to go to Crawfish and Noodles, would meet you in a heartbeat if I were in town this weekend. Looking forward to your report.

1 Like

I’m very critical of pierogies, so thanks for helping me dodge (dough) bullets! Fingers crossed I can make it to Kolache Shoppe.

1 Like

Thanks for all the tips! So far, I’ve been able to walk into everything without a wait. Quite nice.

Xochi: this was a real treat—- not much Oaxacan in the SFBA, certainly not with higher quality meats. Chopped up Lechon (suckling pig) melted porky and intense flavors, and the side of plantain molotes were masa/plantain heaven. Grilled octopus was great, but the Gordita underneath didn’t do much for me. Roasted Brussel sprouts with pumpkin seeds were delicious, easily the best vegetable of the trip, though there isn’t much competition :slight_smile:

Ninfas on Navigation: the Texas tibs, I mean fajitas :-), redeemed my lifetime or the low-grade restaurant chain fajitas. The marinade/sauce was very good, seemed to have a glutamate boost of some sort. Warm flour tortillas didn’t have a lardy flavor or flakiness, but the grill imbued lots of good toastiness. Corn tortillas were flavorless, tasted like maseca. We loved the queso flameado and the grilled pepper sauce it came with.

Saigon House meh. Banh xeo “tacos” had me craving a good regular banh xeo; crawfish weren’t as meaty, roe-y, or tasty as ones I had at Crawfish and Noodles. Filet Mignon pho was pretty good, as were some tangy unbattered chicken wings.

Buck’s BBQ An hour after they opened for Sunday lunch there were only two tables worth of people, which should have scared us away. The collards, a bit sweet, were our favorite item and sausage was pretty good. Brisket was visibly fatless and dry—- it shouldn’t have come out of the kitchen. I told the server after we’d eaten a bit and should have spoken up earlier— she took $1 off our bill and brought out a plate of brisket with a juicy fat layer and smokiness, and acceptable but slightly dry meat.

Crawfish and Noodles I’m coming to terms with not liking the flavor of crawfish heads, and I’m glad i had that realization at a place that does a good job with them. Whatever I don’t like about that taste, it was far stronger at Saigon House. Anyway, plump and juicy tails, tasty saucing. Many crawfish were filled with roe, and many had filled intestines. But the star for me was the braised turkey neck, which comes with a French roll. Spicy and super savory, with equally delicious options for eating braising liquid via sucking broth off with neck meat, or by dipping with bread. French dips have nothing on you, my new best friend.

6 Likes

Here’s how I eat crawfish.

I peel and eat about half, but the others I get a piece of unbuttered bread, squeeze the head into it, get a small pile of bugs, and dip it in some juice.

At home I use fresh flour tortillas instead of bread and throw some butter in with the juices.

It’s all good.

2 Likes

Sounds like I’ll have to have a rematch, your style,
on my next trip :slight_smile:

The shopping down here is crazy, with things ranging from Phoenicias to the Hong Kong shopping center across from Crawfish and Noodles, who needs to eat at restaurants?

2 Likes

I’ve got two Korean grocers 10 minutes away in west Houston, H Mart and 99 Ranch Market.

Another is 5 minutes away, MY HEB mainstream on steroids, lots of fresh seafood and prime meats with some great deals like 7.99 prime strips on occasion.

I’m looking forward to this week’s ad with the big game looming. I’m hoping they bring back live crawfish now that the season is here.

1 Like