[Hong Kong] Wu Kong Shanghai Restaurant 滬江大飯店

Another dinner in Causeway Bay. In the beginning, my friend has chosen Paradise Dynasty (again), since we had just been there 2 days ago, we would like to try another restaurant. We didn’t want to be too far away, so our second choice was in the same building Lee Theatre - Wu Kong.

The place is mentioned in the Michelin guide. The local Open Rice Food site gives an okay note. The place is situated on the 17th floor, it had an interesting view of the new/old Causeway Bay.

Wild vegetables mixed with bean curd (cold dish) - quite a classic in Shanghai cooking

Stirred fried lamb with mixed wild mushrooms and chili - one of the highlight of the dinner

Xiao Long Bao - alright, better than the XLB in Din Tai Fung (Tsim Sha Tsiu) we ate a year ago

Fried string beans with minced pork and chili - a dish from Sichuan cuisine

Traditional sliced cold pork with Shanghainese cucumber and preserve vegetables

Stuffed bean curd with mixed vegetables

It was a technically impressive dish, for vegetables lovers.

Braised pork feet - another highlight of the dinner

Shanghainese fried noodle (no photo)

Rice balls in wine sauce

Bill for 4 diners.

The dinner has a good balance of vegetables and meat, a tasty modern Shanghainese meal.

Wu Kong Shanghai Restaurant
17/F, Lee Theatre Plaza,
99 Percival Street,
Causeway Bay
2506 1018 (Reservation required)

3 Likes

Hmmm . . .

1 Like

Have never seen lamb dishes in my previous experiences with Shanghainese restaurants in LA area nor Shanghai.

I ate at Wu Kong 20 years ago when it was on Peking Rd. in TST. Did it move, or is this a branch?

I’d say that was a truly Classic Shanghai meal, not modern. :slight_smile:

Ma Lan Tou (first picture) is one of my all-time favorite non-meat dishes. The ratio of veg to tofu looks way too high, thoiugh.

Google says two branches. The TST branch is right off Peking Road.

17B Causeway Bay
17/F., Lee Theatre Plaza,
99 Percival Street., Causeway Bay,
Hong Kong.
Tel: 2506 1018
Fax: 2506 2001

Tsim Sha Tsui
Basement,
Alpha House,
27 Nathan Road,
Tsim Sha Tsui,
Kowloon.
Tel: 2366 7244
Fax: 2722 6912

That sounds right. The entrance may have been from Peking Rd.

There was another decent Shanghainese restaurant (Snow Garden?) on Nathan Road in either TST or Yau Ma Tei in a highrise that had a movie theater on the ground floor.

We rarely eat Shanghainese while in Hong Kong. Earlier this year, we did try Shanhai Yat Pang Heung on Jordan Road.

Drunken squab. The drunken squab at R&G in SF is our standard, this version not quite as good.

Braised fish head. Been eating a lot of fish heads on recent trips. This was ok, not super fresh.

Food was okay, not in any hurry to return.

We had a somewhat similar version in a Shanghai restaurant in Taipei. Wife knows this dish by another name , does not sound like Ma Lan Tou though. Good ratio of bean curd.

Sorry for the off tracking. Highly recommend Long’s Shanghai restaurant in Taipei, established 1953.

One of my favorite soups, ever. Shanghai ham, tofu knots, bamboo, pork ribs and Shanghai bok choy.

I could easily make a meal of this pot alone, with a few bowls of white rice. Mouth feel!

Drunken pig’s hand.

Eel with yellow chives. I’ve sampled this dish a few times in various countries. I think I prefer Unagi, different strokes.

Sea Cucumber, winter bamboo and pork.

The sauce for the eel and sea cucumber was too similar, and a tad heavy for my palate.

Long’s Shanghai is now in the midst of the Taipei financial district. The restaurant was established before Taipei became a business power house, the modern city somehow just mushroomed around them. Located in a quaint side alley, it still retains much of the old village time feel, until you look up and see the skyscrapers surrounding.

1 Like

Ma lan tou is the Mandarin name of the green vegetable, but in Shanghai is used to refer to the whole dish. Elsewhere in China it may be called ma lan xiang gan or something like that.

The soup with ham, fresh pork and tofu knots is yan du xian, an indispensible part of a Shanghainese dinner meal in the Spring. It should have fresh bamboo shoots in it, too.

1 Like

@sck had another write up on Lu Yang Cun in Hong Kong a year ago, the Ma Lan Tou was more or less the same ratio (tofu and veg). We had also a meal at Lu Yang Cun after his write up. I have preferred my meal in Wu Kong. (Lu Yang Cun’s service was pretty non-existent, every action was translated to long waiting or repeated requests)

I have to agree you with you, I used the word modern only to signify that the meal was relatively light, not heavy or oily like in the Shanghainese restaurants especially in France or in HK many years ago.

@Google_Gourmet is right, it’s a new branch of the same old restaurant in TST.
Here is their official website: http://www.wukong.com.hk

@Google_Gourmet Thanks for your recommendations of Long’s Shanghai in Taipei, I think Taiwan will be a future food destination for us. I’m amazed at the price of air flights in between Asia countries.

1 Like

They don’t have a lot of lamb dishes in Wu Kong, maybe 3-4 in the whole menu.
I think it is also related to the fact that lamb is traditionally consumed winter (exception maybe in Tibet or Mongolia).

I just saw this video on their site. The hotpot dish is available in winter.