Homemade Muffins, better than store bought

Thxs for the link. I started baking in tetirement to have better control over whats in the recipe.

Yes, that’s my objective too. I don’t want us eating a lot of garbage if I can avoid it. I throw bananas that are getting overripe into the freezer and then can make a batch of muffins or bread.

1 Like

Before I leave MA for the garden state Im going to make one more muffin recipe for my son. These looked like a nice and easy variation and my kid has a thing for nuts. His cupboard is filled with all sorts of TJ nut bags.

1 Like

Let me know how they turn out. I’m a lover of poppyseed and lemon. But I like it to be really lemony! Really lemony!

1 Like

Me too. I usually add more juice and zest in recipes but since this was my first time using the recipe and it was for my son to enjoy I followed the recipe as written. No complaints from my son and as a nut lover he said the slivered almond topping was really good. He didnt have poppyseeds on hand so I bought a small container and brought it home w me. Usung up a container of yogurt he had was where this muffin began.

Next time I will chop almond finer and dbl the lemon req for my own preferences.

As far as bran muffins, I used to like this recipe: https://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/05/14/favorite-bran-muffin/

But for now, my favorite bran muffin is hands down the Tortino di crusca (blackberry bran muffin) in Jim Lahey’s The Sullivan Street Bakery Cookbook. In fact, it could possibly be my favorite muffin at the moment, period. Sorry, I can’t find the recipe online.

As far as pumpkin muffins, you can use this gently spiced Pumpkin Bread recipe (see notes for muffin instructions) from Smitten Kitchen: https://smittenkitchen.com/2016/10/pumpkin-bread/

If you want, you can read about my quest to figure out if it’s the spice that defines pumpkin bread (currently I am using no spices): https://www.chowhound.com/post/baking-days-october-2018-edition-1076561?commentId=10140171

I never tried those muffins in real life, but I’ve made quite a few of the copycat recipes. I commented on it a while back: Tracking down a baker who used to work at Greig Farm in Red Hook, NY - #5 by bmorecupcake

Would bran blackberry muffins be something like this on SK? That combo sounds outstanding. I like bran but it can be dry, berries added sounds like a great way to add a nicer mouth feel and taste.

Yes, similar. If I get a chance tonight, I’ll look at the book and compare closely.

1 Like

Thxs

I’m on the hunt for a gingerbread muffin recipe. No add in, please. Just a deep gingerbread flavor.

TIA.

For regular gingerbread, I use the KA recipe. I sometimes bake it in muffin tins and it comes out fine, however not with a proper muffin top, as my kid always complains about. So that might not be the recipe for you depending on your expectations. If you find a true muffin recipe, please share.

Our end all be all of gingerbread is claudia fleming’s, basically made just for christmas dessert. You have to use fresh high quality spices, not the stuff that tastes like dust from mc cormick’s. It’s not a muffin recipe but it does bake with a slight dome to it in an 8x8 pan, i would just use well greased muffin tins and shorten the baking time. It really does need the whipped cream garnish, or i have done whipped coconut cream

4 Likes

I love this recipe! My only change is to use a chocolate stout.

1 Like

Pls tell me how much stout you add and what if anything changes with the stout addition. Thxs.

Edit: oh I see chocolate is your preferred stout, got it.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thxs.

1 Like

The recipe calls for “1 cup oatmeal stout or Guinness Stout”. I use the same amount of chocolate stout. I made the change since that is the variety I tend to have on hand. I like to think the chocolate stout adds a subtlety to the flavor! But the flavor is so complex that I doubt the change can be readily detected.

I have found this is a cake people have strong feelings about. I brought it to a pot luck and observed. About half of the people took one bite and pitched the rest. The other half had seconds and demanded the recipe!

Let the cake age a day before trying - it gets better and better. A plus for me since I cook for one!

Oh - use a very high saucepan. It foams fast and furious like a science experiment gone wild when the baking soda is added.

2 Likes

Excellent notes! I think I will just make this as a square and cut it squares rather than a muffin.

I’ve made it in a bundt pan. IIRC it rises quite a bit. An 8 x8 square would be too small and probably overflow. I’d still be hesitant with a 9 x 12.

It is more of a cake texture than a something denser like a brownie.

oh, ok. My wife has a bundt pan…need to think on this.

Oh! Sorry my comment was misleading, i think we use two square pans, or do one square and then use the mini loaf pans for the rest of the batter.

@meatn3 the chocolate stout is interesting! I’m really not a beer person at all- and what my dad keeps on hand is too light- so I usually just pick up one bottle of guiness, next time i’ll look for a chocolate stout