Help! with Tomatoes in Container - going away for 5 days

Holes need to be bigger, small holes are easily blocked by soil with time.

Thank you

So, back to my poor tomatoes!!

I have 3 tomato plants in two huge pots - a 22 and 24 inch. One plant has had flowers but they just brown out, one has not had a flower yet and the stand alone has one flower. When I water I notice it going through the big pot and ending up in the dish at the bottom, though the soil seems wet. Also, when it rains water gathers there. I have no way to get rid of it short of a turkey baster as the pots are too heavy. This morning when I went out it looked like water under the large pot was reabsorbed into the plant. Is this bad? Everything was potted almost three weeks ago and the plants are getting taller but no good stuff. What do you think?

We were able to drill larger holes, thanks!

1 Like

No thatā€™s good. I like my plants to drink when they are thirsty, not when I get around to it :wink: This on and off weather seems to be affecting the vegetable flowers here too, I could swear I had a good few and then none, and now a couple more. Maybe they need to drop them to protect the rest of the plant from dying?

Tomatoes love hot and humid, Iā€™m sure that will be on its way soon, and hopefully all will be overflowing with bounty.

1 Like

Wait, which part is not good? that they reabsorb the water?

No - could comma - that is good. Is how I read it. So positive.

You want the water to drain through the soil. So some in the saucer is fine. If the saucer is still full from rain, you can probably skip watering.

You should definitely skip watering if the saucer is full, you donā€™t want to drown the roots. I water every other day.

Also, donā€™t be afraid to prune ruthlessly, especially the sucker roots, and the lower leaves (below the blossom stems).

Iā€™m afraid Iā€™ll prune a would be tomato flower! What do the sucker roots look like?

Whew!! Thanks. Yes I have skipped watering while the water is in there. I feel better now. But I do wish they would get some flowers!

Sorry - correct, no probably. And donā€™t know where that ā€œcould commaā€ came from. Damn autocorrect.

Theyā€™re sucker stems. It grows in the ā€œVā€ of the center stem and a side stem. I learned all this from google, and a lot through trial and error . :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh - and I was hoping that would grow up to be a flower!! Thanks for the visual!!

Thatā€™s what I always thought, too!

1 Like

If they have only been potted for 3 weeks, donā€™t panic. The plants need to get established and strong before you want them to be putting out flowers. In fact we pluck any flowers that form soon after planting. Iā€™m a broken record on this, but have you fertilized?

Yes, I am using tomato tone. For planters it says every two weeks so they are due Sunday. Thanks! I feel better!

1 Like

Thank you for this! I had no idea about suckers. Iā€™m growing tomatoes in a pot for the first time this year (I grow herbs in pots on the front porch but the only vegetable Iā€™ve ever done was chiles) at the request of Mr Rat and damn it is a pain in the ass.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying on that, I stepped away for a bit :wink:

Hi - recently I have been hearing about Epsom Salts for help making potted tomatoes flower. Does anyone know if this works? My tomatoes look like they are developing flowers now- we had a couple of hot/humid days. I give them tomato tone - they had some last Sunday and the package says every two weeks for potted plants, so I donā€™t want to over feed. What do you think?

1 Like

Ingredients of Tomato Tone: Hydrolyzed Feather Meal, Pasteurized, Poultry Manure, Bone Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Greensand, Humates, Sulfate of Potash, and Gypsum.

I am not as familiar with the last 4 ingredients, but the rest are good stuff that should feed your tomatoes very well. BTW, what soil did you use?

1 Like