HELP with soft-boiled eggs, plz!

I can’t sit through a half hour of that, but it made me think I should make a video of me failing to make a tornado omelet about 10 times.

1 Like

WOW. Is that just a shit ton of gochujang sauce surrounding the egg & rice mountain?

It looks so easy, but I would prolly throw an orange toddler fit and hurl a plate at my kitchen wall trying…

3 Likes

I made a few bow ties. Not a single tornado. I probably need a 10" nonstick pan, and I don’t have one.

Oh, it keeps going because then he runs into the problem of then not overcooking the egg/undercooking the coating once it is encased in sausage and breadcrumbs and deep fried. But, yeah, 7-8 minutes (depending on the temp of the eggs going into the cooking, which he doesn’t discuss as a factor…room temp eggs are probably good closer to the 7 minute mark I think) is about right for soft boiled if you want the whites to be firm and the yolks runny.

I personally enjoy the bit when he is losing his mind trying to peel them (relatable!) and then peels the rest of what is left off camera out of frustration. They are all still dinged up anyway. He then turns to whiskey to heal from the experience, as one does.

2 Likes

OMG! I have to try making that now! How could that possible go worse than my attempts at omurice? :slight_smile:

I have the same question about what’s in the sauce. Is it red because of capsicum or because of tomato? And is the white sauce that is drizzled cream or mayo?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Poached Eggs

4m will yield partially runny whites. Might need to go to 5-6m for a set white.

1 Like

5:00 at the most. 6:00 and your yolk is set pretty hard. Like a ramen egg.

Here’s what I do at the moment.

Shave off at least 30s for not refrigerated, and another minute for runnier yolks.

(I hate gloopy whites too.)

Adding: I don’t shock in ice water at the end - just cold tap water. So I assume I’ve got 30s or so of carryover cooking happening.

Yep, that was 7m for the “jammy” yolk, 8m for the soft but set. (And I don’t add the eggs until after the water comes to a boil.)

I go back and forth. If I’m gonna be in the kitchen, I’ll watch the pot. Honestly, it doesn’t seem to make much difference.

1 Like

I do not shock mine or even run tap water on them. I like them hot. I hold them in a towel and top them with a knife. From there I scoop them out with a spoon. If I feel like it, I top them neatly with an egg topper and eat them from the shell. Since my wife likes them scooped, out of the shell only happens when I eat alone.

2 Likes

As threatened, 4:00 soft-boiled egg over mashed avocado:

IMG_3038

One caveat - peeling the egg took some time. So the egg is more set than it was straight out of the hot water.

4 Likes

That looks great. These are refrigerated? I wonder if I tried 4 min on a room temp egg with your method to have them set just a tad more.

Refrigerated, put in cold water, timed from when it started to boil.

1 Like

Next egg breakfast will be reported on. Do hold your breath.

What am I, a pearl diver? :grin:

Lingua
I have a rule about responding/participating in specific topics, because the idiots abound.
however, you seem genuinely interested…

putting an egg in water-at-the-boil eliminates most-near-all of the uncontrolled variables in cooking a soft/hard boiled eggs.

in the USA, eggs are refrigerated from hen to fork, so my “timing” is not applicable to your situation.

regardless, experiment to find the time where an egg dropped into boiling water produces the white/yolk result you desire.
keep in mind, seasons have temperature changes that will likely affect the starting temperature “counter stored” eggs.

1 Like

I mean… it’s been pretttttty experimental lately trying to get the damn eggs to where we like them, so thanks for not being shy.

#newlifegoals :wink:

You may breathe again. This is the result using @Saregama’s method. One inch of wooder, bring to boil, add (room temp) eggs, turn down to simmer, take out after 7 min. As you can see, the yolk is far more set than I want it to be, but …look, ma: no spoogy whites! Yay. Obvy, the timing needs to be tweaked more.

Will try your method next time.

2 Likes