Help me ripen my cherry tomatoes

So I live up near Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. We’ve already had snow (melted) but below zero temps. I had to pull all my tomatoes before they were ripe.

Any ideas on how to get these suckers to ripen before going bad?

I read on line to put them in a paper bag and add an apple for the gases the emit which apparently help them ripen. If it is working, it must be extremely slow.

Does anyone have any tips??

It is. I’ve had tomatoes take about three weeks to ripen. Sometimes they wrinkle up first, and then you have to pitch them. But it’s worth a try. I think a banana is a better ripen-er than an apple, or a ripe tomato.

3 Likes

Bananas do a good job, compared to other fruits.

Sometimes, I just don’t bother. Even they will be ripe eventually, they won’t be particularly good. At times, I would use all the green unripe tomatoes to cook. The acidity can be interesting in some recipes.

1 Like

They can be used as an alternative/addition to tomatillos in salsa verde. And they are great dressed with olive oil, salt, and pepper and grilled. Try that as a Caprese!

2 Likes

Exactly as I have done in the past. Tomatoes did ripen quite slowly indeed. If memory serves, their skins also seemed to thicken. That said, sometimes I stretched the last tomatoes to Thanksgiving if I harvested them green in late October. I monitored the bag carefully for ripening and signs of any tomato going bad.

The flavor was good. And in November, we were happy to have those remaining tomatoes around.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Sounds like I am slowly on the right track- I may change to using a banana.

I had never thought of tomatillos or a caprese with green tomatoes. I will have to try this. These are quite little cherry tomatoes.

2 Likes

I would put your tomatoes in a cast iron pot inside a pizza oven. Just saying

D’ogh video not available in my country :frowning:

That is too bad. If I can find another one. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Fried green (cherry) tomatoes?

1 Like