Hazlet NJ tonitght?

Psssst “late night”…not everyone goes to bed at 5pm Viking.

They said dinner too…

Belford Bistro:

1 Like

lol … thx anyway
be lucky if we get there by 7
will be leaving during rush hour

You know I just looked and other than McDonaghs and the diners (red oak, yellow rose, and other plants) there is not a lot open after 9:30 pm in that area.

Drew’s for example closes at 9pm on weeknights.

McDonaghs has good pub grub, and sometimes live music in the evenings. Burgers are excellent.

This place is good too, but really not fancy, open till 10pm.

Aren’t they on 35? Also, are you sure they are open again? I know they were closed for a while after they were Park East…

My bad!! You are correct they are on 35 NOT 36. As far as I know they are open as of the last week or two, if something happened since then I’m unaware.

TY everyone
I’ll let you know how we make out

@chowdom. So anything good?

Hi corvette_johnny

Apologies for the delay in responding
Thank you for always being the first to jump in with
a recommendation… and thank you to everyone else
for your suggestions. Due to arriving really late, my sister experiencing a
fair amount of pain after a significant amount of dental work and being cray cray, time constraints,
and the snow we did not get to visit many of the places that we, rather I wanted to. So what follows is
“much ado about nothing”

1st night was pizza from a local pizzeria, Luigi’s. The pizza was okay my sister said it used to be better.

Day 2 lunch we picked up half a tuna hero from Gem on Union Ave in Hazlet. The cold cuts were boring boars head, the tuna was house made, nothing fancy just tuna with mayo but it was good. Tuna, lettuce, tomato, red onion, red wine vinegar, great bread … couldn’t have been better. I appreciate that the tomato and onion were cut to order, around here it’s almost always pre sliced and gross… simple pleasures.
Day 2 dinner was an ok burger and BLT at Kings Arms diner in Belford, at this point I was fairly certain my sister was on a mission to not go to anyplace I suggested?

Day three, finally … The Keyport fishery. Belly clams, Haddock, shrimp cocktail, and a salad my sister put together from the salad bar at the enormous world class Shoprite… the shoprite pit stop took over half an hour just enough time to destroy the fried coating on the belly clams and haddock. In addition the clams were muddy tasting, not sweet at all the haddock was much, much better. I found the coating on both extremely under seasoned as in there was no seasoning at all The accompanying tarter sauce was very good with none of the sweetness that I hate. I liked the fries a lot, but then I never met a crinkle cut I didn’t like. The shrimp cocktail was great, crunchy and fresh. Picked up NE clam chowder and Manhattan as well. The NE was boring and the Manhattan had way too much thyme. Not a complete wash, I would return for the shrimp cocktail and fries.

ps hey guys what is up with Jersey drivers, 70 mph in 30 mph Zone. I was honked at constantly, extremely annoying. I watched some one almost drive into the back of a stopped police car … officer was giving a ticket … apparently he was in the way of this particular driver.

Finally, I’m attaching gratuitous pics of dinner, haddock and pork belly BLTw/ spicy mayo, we had last night at my favorite diner in Elizaville on the border of Columbia/ Dutchess county NY. We detoured up there to avoid the shit weather in Westchester County … please don’t ask!

Pizza

Tuna

shoprite salad

shrimp cocktail

salad Elizaville diner

Haddock Elizaville diner

pork belly BLT Elizaville diner

1 Like

Hi all, we will be returning to the area this week. Not Hazlet but nearby
in the direction of Red bank.
Does anyone have anything to say about Juanito’s, slaters on 36, Basil T’s?

TIA

Ha! I just logged on to report in on my dinner tonight at Stamna, which is in Lincroft, all of 1.5 miles off of Exit 109 on the Parkway, which is what you take for Red Bank. Check out the post! Greek me again I just can't get enough, Stamna, Lincroft

1 Like

Juanito’s has been there for a long time and has a decent reputation, while other fans of Mexican might suggest some other local places, I wouldn’t say you shouldn’t give them a try. @seal I think is more an expert on the local Mexican scene I’ll call his attention to this for comment. (@VikingKaj too if he’s still lurking around)

Slaters on 36 is reknown for the pork roll egg and cheese, enough said.

Basil T’s is no more, it has been re-branded Birravino and better can be had in the area. If you are looking for good Italian I would suggest Christine’s in Atlantic Highlands (Pricier compared to Birravino however far superior and double portion size).

Thank you JR … I am really hoping to get to one of these places
My sister will be glad to hear that slaters is still good, but sad to
hear about Basil T’s, was it Sandy that did it in?

No as I said it was just re-branded, the same owner but new menu and price points. The “lowered” their prices however they also reduced their serving size so it’s about a net equal if you ask me. They made some other changes made it a bit less formal dining etc. I’m just not a fan of the brand, the owner still has his other restaurant in Rumson called Undici if your sister wants the old Basil T’s experience.

TY … got it

1 Like

Slaters is famous for their slider which is a large and meat packed porkroll egg and cheese. If you want other subs there are much better spots. However, if you want a giant porkroll sandwich, this will do the trick. It’s almost too much meat for me. Did I just admit that? :slight_smile: it’s good but a little off balanced for me.

Jr, has it on the money. Christines is very good. I was at birravino the other night after a LONG time and confirmed why I never go there. What a joke. I was too embarrassed to take a picture of my meal to show people here how ridiculous the portions are. I’m officially done with that place.

Juanitos is not bad but not great. There are much better options but that place has a decent open atmosphere. It’s more of a fun spot to go with larger groups. If awesome quality food is what you want, I think you will be dissapointed.

Anyway, don’t listen to yelp lol. Ask here. You will get some honest opinions from people who love food and aren’t trying to be a social media hero

1 Like

Sorry @NotJrvedivici but I’ve never been to Juanito’s. If I am going out for Mexican I never get past Red Bank or Long Branch.