Gyro Kitchen-Hartsdale,NY

True. I’d say most people (myself included) don’t want to be bothered even with that.

@ADR, what other restaurants in the area do you like?

That’s too bad … I know some people had a problem with it, but I thought they made the best tzatziki around and I liked the doner gyro combination plate

Amendola’s near the train station has pretty good slices, and the food looks good (I stick to pizza). Right across the street is Frankie and Fanucci - also good pizza,but not by the slice

True! People, especially in the 'burbs, like drive up convenience. I usually cook at home but when we do go out to eat in Westchester I like Wrap and Roll in Ardsley but I almost always get the Vegetable Makhani ( an off menu item) as some of my other favorite vegetarian dishes like Palak Paneer and Matar Paneer just don’t have the layers and depth of flavor that I like. My husband really likes the Chicken Korma. I also like the take out/eat in format. I think Carlo’s on Tuckahoe Road makes a good Grandma pie.
My husband likes the lamb gyro from the Souvlaki truck parked on Central Ave and Saigonese ( Vietnamese ) on Central Ave is pretty good too.

3 Likes

Thank you for your warm welcome!:grinning:

2 Likes

Our tastes are very similar. We are big fans of Wrap and Roll. My only issue with them is that they are stingy with the aloo bhindi. We used to enjoy Carlo’s a lot but not as much now. We get spring rolls, mango salad, and bo luc lac from Saigonese every couple of weeks.

1 Like

Interesting! We’ve probably run into each other at one of those places without knowing. Lol I’ve eaten at Carlo’s upstairs restaurant only once and that was once too many times for me. I took two bites of my meal, which I believe was eggplant parm and that was it. Lol I almost never eat Italian food out because I make Italian food at home plus I grew up eating (and still eat) my mom’s outstanding home cooked Italian food and there is just zero comparison.

1 Like

PS. I just saw your posts re: Auntie Fee. Loved her! A little rough around the edges but gut busting stomach clenching rolling on the floor funny as hell! Seemed like she had a heart of gold. RIP Auntie Fee

1 Like

Good to know that Indian place in Ardsley is still good. I used to go but sadly I cannot eat Indian food anymore… One of the greatest culinary tragedies of my life. :wink: I went to Saigonese once-- gotta get back there. For Grandma pie I have enjoyed Polpettina in Eastchester but I haven’t been there in a while. I admit I don’t eat pizza out that often since my husband makes really great homemade dough (Jim laheys recipe on Smitten Kitchen) but if I do it’s likely to be fortina or ossining pizza, of which only fortina is worth a trip. It won’t satisfy a grandma pie craving though. Wish we had a place in N. Westchester that had a good rendition.

Glad to read more from you. Please keep up your contributions!

1 Like

Saw the sign today for the soon to open (replacement) gyro gyro. I don’t think any restaurant can succeed at that location,but obviously others see it differently. The lack of easy parking and the difficulty of just circling if no spot is found, also crossing either central ave. or Hartsdale Ave. on foot is unappealing to most, and certainly cannot survive on walk-in traffic primarily, but still wish them good luck.

True but some restaurants do survive the lack of convenient parking. A few that come to mind are Mickey Spillane, Burrata and Piper’s Kilt in Eastchester. Maybe if the restaurant is more of a sit down stay for hours type establishment rather than a quick take out people would be more inclined to use municipal parking lots?

1 Like

True, and also as Rich says, crossing Central Ave is a bit daunting!

Too bad about not being able to eat Indian food anymore. That would make me very sad as well:sob: I have been to Polpettina a few times since it opened and I’m sorry to say I am not a big fan but i think the pizza is ok. I too make my own pizza dough based on a recipe on The Fresh Loaf website and add in different ingredients on a whim.

1 Like

Those other restaurants I mentioned are on Rt22 aka White Plains Road and the municipal parking is across the street so I think in that respect it’s similar as far as having to cross a major busy thoroughfare. One of the main differences is that people park and stay for at least a couple of hours as opposed to picking up food.

That is a good point! For take out I want to pull right up front!

Hopefully, they can offer curbside pick up service…

I hope the new place is better than the last. They overcooked and dried out their meats.

i sure hope so too! Fingers crossed. Speaking of Greek food does anyone here remember a Greek take out/eat in restaurant a block or two down the street from MACY’S in Herald Square on 7th Avenue in the early 80’'s? They had the best I mean THE best Tzatziki? sauce I have ever tasted in my life. It was a very thin almost watery white sauce (not thick like yogurt and had a definite tang to it. They would assemble the gyro then drizzle on that heavenly sauce then hit it with a shower of paprika. I have never tasted anything that even comes close til this day. It was pure perfection in a pita!

It looks like Gyro Gyro is opening soon. They have been posting help wanted announcements online. I figure less than two weeks unless they run into problems, or sooner if not.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Gyro Gyro [Hartsdale NY]