GREEK - Summer 2021 (Jul-Sept) Cuisine of the Quarter

Giouvetsi made with chicken gizzards.

6 Likes

My melomakarona

My kourabiede, the snowball /Mexican wedding cake / Russian Tea Cake in the middle of the plate.

12 Likes

They look perfect.

1 Like

Thank you!

My mom would have like the nuts ground more finely in the kourabiedes lol. I chopped them with a knife on the cutting board, so there were chunks of nuts.

2 Likes

The kourabieda looks good, too. A local shop sells them as the Mexican wedding cakes, kind of expensive, but guaranteed to give me Marcel Proust madeleine-like flashbacks to my youth and yia-yia.

5 Likes

Adding a link to the March 2022 COTM - looks like a winner for any Greek cuisine lover! LEMON LOVE AND OLIVE OIL - March 2022 Cookbook of the Month

3 Likes

The Zucchini and Feta Bake, as well as Eggplant Feta Pie look interesting to me.

Lots of good Sephardic recipes in Claudia Roden’s “Book of Jewish Food”,

2 Likes
2 Likes

I have DK’s Ikaria cookbook, but haven’t cooked from it much. Gifted to my Greek SIL’s and a nephew too. One SIL spent a week or so on Ikaria and loved it. The cookies are adorable! Abruptly switching subjects, do you happen to have a good recipe for the orange flavored Greek sausage? I’ve been toying with making a batch lately.

1 Like

I don’t have a recipe for loukaniko - I haven’t made it.

I’ll let you know if I make any.

Please let me know when you make it.
I wouldn’t mind a tried tested and true recipe.

Will do! Maybe, now that the pressure’s on, I will actually do it. Stay tuned.

1 Like

This looks like it will hit the spot on a weeknight.

1 Like

Hmm. I wonder if “bouyiourdi” derives from Chef Boyardee, the way the pastries called sarali derives from Sarah Lee.

No idea

Greek Mil Fay , made with crackers/cookies and instant pudding is the Greek transliteration of the more complicated Mille Feuille.

Bouyourdi existed before Boyardee, so maybe Chef Boyardee is named after baked feta.

Named after a tax document

Georgina Hayden pork gyro link If you make gyro meat, what is your best "go-to" recipe for it? - #72 by Phoenikia

I’m looking at different giouvetsi recipes re: spices.

My version is typically chicken/ meat, tomato, onion, cinnamon, oregano, bay leaf.

I’m going to try a version with my usual ingredients, with the addition of allspice and nutmeg. Some other recipes include clove and/or cumin.

https://www.nafsikahotel.com/recipes/giouvetsi.html

Some vegetarian giouvetsis

https://miakouppa.com/2018/02/26/youvetsi-with-chickpeas-γιουβέτσι-με-ρεβύθια/