Greater MP / PA restaurant roulette: THE REST

Is the PA location better than the redwood city I’ve? Tried the latter and was, unfortunately, underwhelmed.

I heard Gombei in Menlo Park closed. Something about relatively large lot and new housing.

What did you try on the RWC menu - it’s close by and we tried it once and overall good but nothing outstanding

Chicken biryani, paratha roll with chicken, aloo methi, masala fries. All were pretty salty and lacking in spice/depth of flavor. Their takes on the kachumber salad was tasty, though, as was the dal.

I like the madras curry. The chicken is grilled, giving a nice extra taste.

I find the salt levels there a bit lower than more authentic Indian restaurants, but higher than most places that are aiming at American palettes.

A quick story.

I was at a cousin’s prewedding party, it was a small frnds and family thing, but the other half was Indian. I happened to chat up the caterer, and she was looking dissappointedly at the dal. She asked me what i thought, and i said it was under salted. She got a huge happy grin and says she had toned down the salt for my non Indian side of the family, and i told her certainly not to do that on my account and my family would prefer whatever she thought was the best taste - the food should be to the taste of the hosts, but we appreciate the thought. She got out a tub of salt and added two generous hand scoops, probably about 2T in total, stirred it in, and then did the same again. Granted it was a pretty big tub of dal, but still. She had me taste it again and i said it was a lot better.

When i make dal at home, i add between 1 t and 2t for a 2 qt saucepan. The recipe says 1t but it is an American recipe.

I think the south Indians like their salt more than the northerners, but i wonder if you are judging by Indian standards?

Their biryani sucked the one time I ate it. While some of their other stuff can be decent, that biryani really was below the level of their usual cooking. Just skip. You can find better biryani pretty much in any bay area biryani joint.

Haven’t tried the paratha roll, the aloo and the fries.

Got takeout from Ettan on our last trip north. Got the cauliflower, octopus, wings, pea and ricotta kulcha, smoked butter chicken, dal and naan bread. Octopus and kulcha were least favorite loved everything else. Next month will check out Zareen. Also did another Zotts night, Parkside Grille and an insanely busy night at Portola Kitchen.

Hows Portola Kitchen these days? Haven’t had their lumache since the pandemic began…!

Sorry just saw your post. Lumache is still good. It’s in our old neighborhood so we go for comfort/nostalgia reasons. We’ve had a shrimp pasta special last couple of visits that’s was decent. We go with little kids and sit outside so it’s good for that kind of dinner, although as I said they were crazy busy and poor waiter looked like he was close to a breakdown. Had a more sedate dinner at outside patio at Parkside that weekend. They have a good lamb chop with yoghurt sauce.