Great Indian food in Belmont!

Your fish curry sounds divine. It’s one of my favorite dishes, Indian or otherwise.

1 Like

Options! One of the terrific things about NYC.

2 Likes

Terrific and paralyzing at the same time. At least for this Bostonian.

1 Like

Wonderful writeup! Sorry I didn’t see it until now, certainly matches my exploration in Indian cooking.

I’ll add two things:

I prefer stocking and using Serrano fresh peppers instead of Thai peppers when making Indian. Serannos are a bit richer and complex compared to Thais, but possibly more importantly, here in california we get very high quality fresh serranos in every store. Thai chilis I have to go to 99 ranch and there’s less turn over - the peppers are often not good thai peppers (I understand there are actually about 5 common thai peppers, I don’t know what I tend to get at Ranch 99) and with lower stock turnover.

Further - one of the best cheats for home cooking indian is a good Garam Masala. I now stock Penzeys by the large bag, and while I also stock most individual spices too (I have a system of bags and bags within bags that’s fairly compact; glass jars don’t store well at higher scale levels), I find myself often reaching for the Garam Masala to save cooking complexity. You really have to use enough, though. You’re getting 5 or so spices in one go, so instead of a half teaspoon of this that and the other, the quantity is often more like a tablespoon of GM [and enough salt]. Basically if you’re working for a recipie you have to sum up the spice quantity and add that much GM. This also keeps my GM fresher than some of my individual spices (I don’t long-term stock ground spices, but things like fenugreek seeds might linger a few years: a small bag goes a long way].

1 Like