Graze - Little Silver [NJ]

Well you can see my earlier reference regarding “falling off the truck” first with regards to the NJ restaurant supply situation. I have a hard time believing that even if it say’s farm to table that there is a not a middleman or the outfit involved.

With regards to farm to table in general, there are some places in Brooklyn that I like that I think do a pretty good job of this, at least in part. You see occasional menu items over there that reflect locally sourced ingredients and an attention to detail that impresses.

And of course there are places on Manhattan like Blue Hill Farm that are freakin outstanding, but charge you an arm and a leg.

My guess is that it will eventually show up in NJ in some unbelievably mangled up rendition, kind of like Jersey Sushi made by Fujianese from the same eight kinds of fish.

So at least around here, probably mostly hype. Elsewhere could be good, but it depends. If the cook sucks probably just bad food, only slightly more pretentious.

I agree with you on the “farm to table” hype. I grew up on a little farm in Hunterdon County, NJ so I am aware of the seasons and availability of certain vegetables in this region. (My mom is always laughing at me when I tell her about this "We eat farm to table every night! What’s the big deal?!)

The only restaurant that I know doing a version of “farm to table” is the Lovin’ Oven in Frenchtown. I don’t think they claim to be a “farm to table” restaurant since they need to source from other places during the off season. But my family personally knows some of their farmers and suppliers that they buy from in the height of the season.

Thanks for understanding. We get a few months to grow here so I am skeptical. I’m all for supporting my home state but I’m just wondering how legit this is.

I wonder where the local squid is from? Hopefully they are supporting a belford legend, Captain seaweed! Lol

The ducks I could see being long island birds.

The beef I doubt is raised anywhere around here.

Organic salmon? What in the world is that? I doubt it is from NJ too.

I would love to see a real NJ menu of locally sourced seafood protein. There are a LOT of NJ treats that could make an amazing menu but everyone is obviously in it for the money and turning a 2.50 chicken plate into a 25.00 meal.

We have a wide range of great food here but I’ve never seen any place capitalize on it.

Monkfish
Tile fish
Tog
Sea bass
Flounder
Fluke
Crabs
Clams
Steamers
Ling
Bluefin (we can’t compete on price so it goes to japan)
Scallops
Yellow fin
Big eye
Albacore
Cod (yes they are out there)
Whiting (pretty much decimated but delicious)
American eel (not a fan but some are)
Mahi
Sword
Mako
Thresher
Skipjack (good sashimi if you haven’t tried it)
Lobsters (another species doomed unfortunately)
Porgies (tasty little guys but bony as hell)

You may be interested in Local 130, which sources fish and seafood from local and out-of-state purveyors… They’ve just opened up bricks and mortar in Asbury Park in the same strip as Booskerdoo on Memorial Drive. I know they supply a bunch of restaurants in the area, and they’ve been at the local farmers markets for the last few years. People I know who cook a lot of fish love their product. I have to admit that I never cook fish at home, so I haven’t been in yet, but based on what I’ve seen on social media you may find some what you’re looking for!

Thanks for the tip. I like to source my own when possible and have a few commercial friends. Some NJ buggers straight outta belford below…

Does anyone want to spilt a bushel of #1 Jimmies in a few days when the season opens, or go thirds?

What exactly is a bushel of jimmies? :smile:

1 Like

I wondered the same thing… All I could think was that’s a LOT of sprinkles for your ice cream… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

bushel of crabs. number 1 are the big boys

opening day is thursday.

Please note this is not the same as having your Jimmies rustled, for those who are wondering:

Although Lord knows there is enough of that going on around here.

I’m actually interested in this! Are they blue crabs? How many lbs are in a bushel?

WARNING–I was watching and enjoying the history of having one’s Jimmies rustled when one of those bot “warnings” popped up (audio and all) saying I had a virus (um, NO), so maybe you shouldn’t click through…

Sorry, my bad. Just picked the first reference off Google. Here’s another that looks safer:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3Fterm%3DRustle%20My%20Jimmies%26amp%3Dtrue?client=ms-android-americamovil-us

Btw, that second def kinda rustles my jimmies.

I have no clue on the weight but there are probably 60 crab in a bushel…maybe more since they are dormant and you can stack them up nicely. If you can hustle you can actually eat quite a few yourself and then trade/sell them to chinese places for a profit or food (not that I’ve ever done that : )

It’s essentially a good few days of gorging on crab lol.

And no I’m not opening any of these jimmy links :confused:

I’m down. How much $ for a bushel? Mmmmmmm

I will know in a day or two. It is market driven. Season opens tomorrow.

Hey let me know on this too
Barbarella

Hey Corvette, I am going to Acme Smokehouse this Friday to pick up some smoked eel for the holiday gatherings. It is a real treat and I hope it is worth the drive to Greenpoint, Brooklyn on a Friday morning .
About those blue claws, I want them for Christmas day so it may be a bit too early to order now. But if you can wait til next mid-week I could go for a half bushel of jimmies.

The fish at Acme is amazing and the drive to Brooklyn is worth it. My favorite item is the pastrami lox. But I also love the baked sable, pickled salmon (in jars), and whitefish. They usually have a good selection of their pre-packaged line and will let you taste the items they sell by the pound. Enjoy!

Sorry…I’ve been out of the country. Did you line anything up?

Eels are easy to catch. I can tell you how to get them and where to go. You just need to buy an eel trap…super easy. You can sell the extras on one set and probably pay for your trap (plus have tons to eat before you sell the extras)