[Glasgow] Two Fat Ladies at the Buttery

The Buttery, harking back to 1856, is already a Glasgow dining institution before the Two Fat Ladies chain (named after the bingo numbers ‘88’, I just found out over lunch, and not Jennifer Patterson/Clarissa Dickson-Wright) bought it over back in 2007. It remained a sumptuous tribute to Scottish gourmet excellence, with its luxe decor and exemplary service, further enhanced by The Two Fat Ladies’ high culinary standards. We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch there a fortnight ago.

Our lunch consisted of:
Starters

1. Traditional Cullen skink
    One of my fave soups of all time, and the rendition here was simply terrific.

2. Fillet of mackerel, potato & horseradish salad, tomato pesto

Mains

1. Roast duck & wild pigeon, celeriac puree, puy lentils, cherry & wine vinegar jus

2. Catch of the day: sea bream fillets on crushed potatoes, with prawn sauce

Desserts

1. Toffee & apple meringue crush, vanilla Chantilly cream

2. Trio of cheese, homemade chutney & oatcakes

All the dishes , and especially the seafood ones, were all cooked par excellence, utilising the freshest ingredients to produce a thoroughly enjoyable dining experience for us. It’s certainly a place where you feel like returning the very next day, just to try out the other items on the menu.

Address
Two Fat Ladies at the Buttery
652 Argyle St, Glasgow G3 8UF, UK
Tel: +44 141 221 8188
Opening hours: Mon-Thu 12noon-3pm, 5pm-10pm,
Fri & Sat 12noon-3pm, 5pm-10.30pm,
Sun 12noon-9pm

7 Likes

On your Chip thread, I mentioned that we had only been there once. And I’ve only been here once - on the same trip. However, Mrs H had previously been before while on a business trip and wanted to return on her birthday trip to the city. It was a really high standard (or, at least, that’s what we thought back then).

2 Likes

It still is very good indeed today.