GERMAN - Cuisine of the Quarter, Spring 2018 (Apr-Jun)

35% fat sounds about right. It’s not quite as fatty as your average sausage, but much more so than beef tartare. When I make pork sausages I use shoulder plus some added fat, so ground shoulder without added fat for Mett makes sense. Seasonings vary but salt, pepper and onion are pretty standard. Caraway is popular in Germany in general so I’m sure it’s a common ingredient as well.

Dinner was Knackwurst with mustard, asparagus and mashed potato, the highlight was the dessert - Apfelstrudel, my first Apple Strudel!

The tricky part was to make very thin stretched sheets to wrap around other ingredients. A lot of holes if you saw my “sheet” I turned the strudel upside down before putting it in oven.

I have used this recipe:

It is an OK recipe, a note that there were too much apples. 4 was enough.

On the whole it was good, not too sweet, because I used Granny Smith. Maybe the apples were a bit too mushy, so I should have sliced them thicker.

5 Likes

Your strudel looks delicious! You might try parcooking the apples a bit to preserve their texture and prevent the gap between crust and filling.

I had a few slices of strudel in Austria while I was there last month and none of them had raisins - not sure if they are more typical in German versions or not.

Good question on the gap. I didn’t precook the apple, I saw on the video of Escoffier School, the chef didn’t do it. I think slicing the apple thicker and recooking that may release some of the extra liquid or steam.

Among the dozen of recipes I saw online, all of them include raisins (soaked with rum), the one from Escoffier School has hazel nuts and some others include pine nuts.

1 Like

Nobody interested in German food? Arrrrwwww… Don’t let Cuisine of the Quarter die…

Flammekueche a few days ago. Husband’s home made dough was good, maybe raising a bit too much, so we cooked a bit longer, making the top a big dried.

Has anybody a good Flammekueche recipe to share? The best one I have ever eaten was in Stockholm’s Speceriet, I read that the chef has won international competition for his “tarte flamblée”.

1 Like

Looks delicious. I’ll be honest, I don’t cook much German food, but I’ll give it a go. Do German pastries count?

Sure, pastries are lovely and not the easiest to make.

Absolutely! I feel bad that I let this quarter slide, especially since I was IN Germany for most of it. It’s actually just about time to think about nominations for next quarter, though - so start brainstorming!

I have no idea how this recipe compares to others, I just remember when I saw it thinking it was pretty simple

1 Like

I made this recipe once 3 years ago, it was fabulous! The rye flour is key. https://www.deliciousdays.com/archives/2010/07/24/welcoming-dear-friends-flammkuchen-with-red-onions/

2 Likes

Strikes me as kinda heavy for spring/summer! We do grill brats, does that count? :wink:

That recipe looks a hell of a lot better than the one I posted !

Of course, it’s not what they are eating in summer? I’m thinking of sausages… need to go to a German grocery store…next week.

@chowdom @ChristinaM

Thanks for both recipes! Chowdom’s one is quite similar to the one I have used, I think I will give the delicious days rye flour recipe a try.

2 posts were split to a new topic: What is this butter tool?

A German fish gulasch /stew
https://pontificating-randy.blogspot.com/2018/06/german-fish-gulasch-helgolander.html

Another fish gulyas
https://www.kitchenproject.com/kpboard/recipes/PrinterFriendly/FishGulyas.htm

Kinda bummed I missed this thread, but it musta been during a time when I wasn’t active on this site. Gorgeous pics, @Presunto!

And such few replies, oh my. Shameful.

I have eaten many a Mettbrötchen, and love it. It’s def not date food (unless your date is German, then it’s fair game :laughing:), since you’ll end up with pork floss in your teeth and onion breath.

Delicious.

1 Like

We’re ready for a revival any time! I assume you’re heading over for your annual visit soon?

1 Like

Yessss. Counting down the days… just a little over two weeks now :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

I didn’t know one could add dishes to a 6 year old thread, although I’ve seen random links to recipes on other COTQ, but no indication whether they had been cooked.

I’m there for the entire Spargel and Pfifferling season, so… I might liven up this place again :wink:

3 Likes