For Panda Express fans…

Before Panda Express, there was a parent company, a more upscale, full service restaurant called Panda Inn. As someone who was only a few blocks from a Panda Inn when I lived in Santa Monica, CA… I visited often. Since then it has been pretty much taken over by the “express” chain, but I do believe a few “Inns” still remain, unfortunately they are no where near me anymore.

My all time favorite dishes there were:
Chinese Chicken Salad: https://scottinpollock.us/salad.html
Sweet and Pungent Shrimp: https://scottinpollock.us/shrimp.html
Tangerine Beef: still working on this one.

Enjoy, and if any of you have mods that improve things, please let me/us know.

2 Likes

We live a few blocks from the original Panda Inn, in Pasadena

A few blocks east of that restaurant is the Panda Express Innovation Kitchen

https://www.pandaexpress.com/innovationkitchen

3 Likes

Who knew? I don’t think if I’ve ever been to a Panda Express, but I might check it out!

1 Like

I wouldn’t recommend it.

2 Likes

To be clear, Panda Express is definitely a food court experience, but they have some tasty dishes. The main caveat is getting something that has been sitting around for too long (which is why I avoid the drive thru).

If you go inside, and pick some dishes that have just come off the cooktop, it’s pretty good Chinese fast food. Not the same quality as Panda Inn, but works for me in a pinch.

2 Likes

Thank you both!

1 Like

You should check it out.

Panda Express is merely Panda Inn without the fancy silverware and table service.

As someone who worked for the company (Panda Restaurant Group), at Panda Express you are essentially getting 90% of the Panda Inn experience for 50% of the price.

And for what it’s worth, while it’s not gourmet, Panda Express is very very good for what it is. It is eons better than your typical Chinese fast food corner store with hot plates and chafing dishes. It’s sort of like what Shake Shack would be to your typical Burger King.

5 Likes

THANK YOU for the Chicken Salad recipe. I used to get it all the time at Westside Pavilion and was super disappointed when they discontinued it. Have tried over the years to duplicate from memory, never quite the same.

2 Likes

Welcome to HO @Kristi_Blodgett

I too got it all the time when I lived in Santa Monica and really missed it when I moved away. I think you’ll be impressed with this incarnation.

1 Like

Some random musings…I agree that Panda Express is pretty ok chinese food if your town has no good chinese. Mine doesn’t. And therefore PE scratches the itch. It is much better than other fast food chinese mall or otherwise.
Has that Panda Inn in Pasadena been around awhile? I think we may’ve gone there as a group for dinner pre-prom. My high school was in La Canada Flintridge.
I love chinese chicken salad. Several decades ago when we lived in LA, we would get our fix in Westwood at Feast from the East. Now that is a recipe I’d love to see a copycat of!

2 Likes

Just to be clear, the recipes in my OP are from Panda Inn… and yes, the Panda Inn in Pasadena has been around for decades.

1 Like

It’s also a short hop to one of the few Panda Express Innovation Kitchens where you can get some of the recipes they’re testing out. I liked the burrito option they’ve been offering for years but last time we visited it kind of seemed like they were phasing it out.

Slightly longer hop to the Panda Express at the headquarters where they have more traditional off the menu lunch specials. Last time I was there I had what I believe was Sichuan Boiled Fish that was pretty good.

2 Likes

There was an interesting conversation about Panda Express in a Splendid Table podcast about American Chinese food that I listened to today……making up for months when I was hardly driving down the street! Highly recommend the episode….

1 Like