Filling breakfasts that can be made in advance

I love all the various egg ideas and will experiment with those. I can’t imagine eating a turkey burger at 730 in the morning :slight_smile: ! To each his/her own.

1 Like

I do not eat poultry at all for no less than 35 years or so.

I thought these suggestions were for lunch !!!

I would not have suggested it for 7.30am !!!

1 Like

Nope - the title of the post says breakfast. Regardless, you were the first to mention a tortilla espanola, which I love and rarely make because it is a bit time consuming. However, I agree with you that once that - or a quiche or frittata is made - it can last a week in the fridge. So I will be taking those advices to heart!

4 Likes

Yes, they are all really good breakfast or brunch or tapas time egg dishes.

Well, I wrote that approx. 6.30am my time and was sipping my Double Espresso on ice !!

I know it takes me a minute for the caffeine to kick in.

4 Likes

One more for your list: strata! Can vary the cheese, veggies, meats (we do a veggie sausage), and breads. Easy overnight in the fridge, bake in the morning, then cool and cut into pieces for freezing, etc.

2 Likes

The Costco muffins are Aussie Bites. Organic, 130 calories each. Oats, cane sugar, apricots, canola, butter, raisins, flax, sunflower, coconut, honey, quinoa, chia, sea salt, vanilla, rice. Shelf stable, freezer-friendly.

Yes! I forgot strata. Totally. Actually sweet or savory bread pudding. Although with the sweet, I’ll have to get the nuts and grains and whatnot into it to be filling enough.

2 Likes

I’ve seen them, and will pay attention if they ever sample again. One doesn’t want to “try” a costco-size portion of anything honestly. It would be hopeless amount of waste if we didn’t like it.

i love baked oatmeal:

basic recipe is 100 grams pan toasted rolled oats (about a cup); 1, 14 ounce can full fat coconut milk; pinch salt; splash vanilla.

optional additions: any combination of fruit (frozen works great) and nuts.
a fall fav is chopped granny smith apple, chopped pecans, cinnamon and nutmeg.

also love a handful each of chopped pecans and cocoa nibs

i bake it in a 9-inch cast iron skillet @ 350-degrees for 20-25 minutes.

1 Like

There’s always the birds and squirrels! :blush::bird::wolf::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You have no idea. I basically live on a cleared plot in a forest. We have more woodland creatures than we know what to do with. They eat our garden crops, they chew thru the wires and pipes in our cars. Last thing I need is to encourage them!

2 Likes

To commemorate the first day of 1st grade tomorrow, I made a batch of breakfast blondies (and even threw in a handful of semi-sweet chocolate chips for good measure…because, why the hell not). Spring Onion sampled them straight outta the oven and declared them to be delicious. I may or may not have added a little extra butter, subbed in chunky peanut butter for the unsweetened almond butter, and added some extra chopped nuts. Between you and me. :wink:

9 Likes

They look great. On my list. Today, I am doing broccoli and cheese egg pitas. I did the egg thing already and when it cools, I will stuff, wrap and freeze. I can already tell that making these servings 6-8 at a time will be a big time saver.

4 Likes

The rolls in this recipe are excellent, originating from Paul Hollywood’s “How to Bake”. They freeze well and are fine without reheating (although 30 seconds in the microwave improves them). Be warned it is a very sticky dough and we’ve never been able to achieve the neatness of photos of them. All the flavours of a cooked breakfast - bacon, tomato, mushroom.

3 Likes

Thank you. Another excellent out of the box idea. Savory buns. I once made pizza roll ups, and this reminds me of that.

2 Likes

My parents did that too (well, usually cereal and toast, not cooked breakfast), kids going off to school once we were old enough, dad going to work, usually by carpool, mom staying home with whichever kids weren’t old enough for school or hauling them off to nursery school / kindergarten.

Later, in the 80s, my wife said that one thing all the women in the Baptist Church women’s circle agreed on, whether they were traditional or non-traditional, was that if their husband wants breakfast he can get it himself.

5 Likes

Avocado toast? PB&J for breakfast? You mentioned that you don’t like muffins, but maybe make some for him? Yogurt with the cereal really does help, and granola’s a bit heftier than grocery store cereal.

1 Like

Bill your ideas are good breakfasts, but not for “made in advance” which was the point. I know we are in the honeymoon period of the kid waking early enough to have a sit down meal. Sort of. In 2 weeks, he will barely have enough time to throw on his clothes and run for the bus. So I need b’fast options that can be prepared in 3 min or less and eaten on the run.

This popped up today. I haven’t made these but saved the recipe. Adding chopped nuts would increase satiety.

1 Like