Favorite Summer Salads

Interesting

The other day I mixed some leftover canned great northern beans into the less-than-a-portion-left deli potato salad I had. They didn’t change the flavor…try it!

I will! I enjoy lima beans…most beans actually. Thxs.

Peaches, cucumber, watermelon, black pepper, basil and tarragon, with a lemon-olive oil vinaigrette.

9 Likes

Gorgeous!
I would gladly order that at a restaurant!

I’ve been playing with this recipe: it’s fun to adjust based on what’s looking good in the produce department. Works well as a main dish, side, and for potlucks.

5 Likes

this is a hearty salad but i love it in the summer. Cold/room temp TJs ready-prepped lentils, avocado diced, arugula, hard boiled egg and tomato cut into eighths. dressing is a ton of lemon juice (2-3 lemons), minced shallot, tsp. of dijon, s&p. OR, dressing could be a walnut oil/sherry vinegar.

another: sliced gold/red beets, crumbled feta/goat cheese, avo sliced, toasted slivered almonds or pine nuts, chopped chives. dressing is the same dijon one above.

I know i’ve posted about them here or for sure on CH? people go nuts for both of these whenever i bring them to a gathering.

4 Likes

It’s not a favorite, but I bought 3 lbs of cabbage the other day. Guess what we’re having?! :slight_smile:

My favorite quick way to prepare cabbage is to slice it thin, raw, and 1/4 cup of white vinegar (moreso to taste, I don’t know the exact measurements), a bunch of dill, salt and ground pepper (all to taste). Sometimes I’ll add some roasted bell peppers. If it sits for a day, it tastes even better.

I’m serving it with some roasted salmon tonight, but I’ll eat it as a salad tomorrow.

4 Likes

Cherries, purple cherry tomatoes, and chèvre on a romaine lettuce base with a vinaigrette of balsamic, cherries, and red jalapeño.

4 Likes

Sounds great

That looks ah-mazing!

DH and I have been obsessed with shaved fennel lately. I’ve been making a very simple salad of shaved fennel with mounds of fresh mint and/or basil - I leave half of the leaves whole or just torn in half and blitz half in the food processor with a bit of mayonnaise and vinegar to make a quick dressing (after using the slicing blade to shave the fennel because I am LAZY). About two big handfuls of herbs to a half a bulb of fennel. So refreshing!

6 Likes

I watched a video of a chef making fresh seafood salad that included a steamed assortment of mussels, scallops, shrimp and Calamari along with raw tomatoes, celery, cucumber and parsley, roasted spring onion and red pepper, tossed in lemon juice, o&v. Garlic was added to the seafood steam. It looked so good.

1 Like

You just described my favorite salad at the U.S. Restaurant in North Beach, SF. So good!!!

1 Like

No kidding! I have had this salad in a restaurant but really didnt have the ingredient list down until I watched the instructional video.

https://itsprojectfoodie.com/recipes/soiree-seafood-salad/

I need a fishmonger!

1 Like

Cold salamon salad. Flake the oven baked prepared salamon on a bed of premade red quinoa and topped with finely chopped fresh dill and parsley, fresh lemon juice and a dollop of mayo/mustard/horseradish dip.

2 Likes

Salads are the way to go for, especially during hot summers. There are loads of different recipes, some combine really things that you would never thing you can combine, other are quite straight forward and fast to make. Here is my latesr favourite - Greek Wheatberry Salad with Olive Oil.
https://essentials.bertolli.com/olive-oil-recipes-simple-vegetarian-salads-with-extra-virgin-olive-oil/
Give it a try! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Making a bastardized Cobb today, with chicken, bacon, avocado, sharp cheddar and a Green Goddessish dressing (basil, dill, parsley, cilantro, green onion, capers, mayo)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bonappetit.com/recipe/green-goddess-salad/amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bonappetit.com/recipe/green-goddess-cobb-salad/amp

3 Likes

We often have a composed salad plate made up of bits and pieces, raw and cooked, new and leftover, veg with and without meat,
Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 11.36.14 AM

Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 11.42.50 AM

4 Likes

I haven’t tried to make this yet but saw it on local TV the other day and will have to soon. It’d be easy to sub crab or shrimp for the lobster if you like

2 Likes