Emglow101 ---> re: Ridge Vineyards

@emglow101

Ridge Vineyards is one of those rare exceptions in the World of Wine:

Everything they make is highly recommended and excellent!

Ridge was started in 1959 by a group of scientists from SRI, and incorporated in 1962 (although for years, a sign mounted next to the office door read “Ridge est. 1066”). The first time I visited the winery was in 1971, IIRC, and I’ve been a HUGE fan ever since . . . literally, since they’ve started, there has been ONE wine they have made that I haven’t liked, and that was the 1971 Lodi Zinfandel, Lot W. So I used a bottle of it to christen my car and its new license plate, ZNFNDL. Other than that . . .

Now, it’s important to remember that, although Ridge carved out a name for itself as being THE premier producer of Zinfandel – of (almost¹) single-handedly elevating Zin from the mainstay of California’s jug wines to a highly respected red varietal table wine, their stated goal has always a focus on Cabernet Sauvignon, and their Monte Bello Estate Cab has long been, to my palate, consistency one of the finest Cabernet Sauvignons in the world. Period.

Ridge is also a strong believer in proprietary wines, so that (e.g.), while Ridge Geyserville doesn’t say “Zinfandel” in big print on the label, it has always been Zinfandel-based, often contains more than the 75 percent minimum requirement to be labeled as a varietal wine, and has long been one of the finest Zinfandels² made in California. The same is true of Ridge Lytton Springs, the wine recommended by @BoneAppetite.

And their 1970 Jimsomare Zinfandel remains the single finest Zinfandel I have ever tasted . . .

1 Like

Thanks Jason for the recs . I will bring the Geyserville and Lytton springs to my nephews birthday party next week . He is a big zin fan . All are available at Shoppers Corner . Thanks again .

1 Like