Eleven Madison Park to go vegan

I think this is really ridiculous, not that I would be inclined to spend that much money on any restaurant. Once, when my husband made a tasting menu for some friends, one cracked, “What great snacks. When’s dinner?” I think that would apply here.

2 Likes

Gerona, one hour north of Barcelona on the A7 Highway, La Empordà, is the home of uncountable ecological farms producing the majority of goat cheese, fruits and vegetables due to its micro climatic factors in addition to its wine estates. This autonomous region is also known for its wild mushrooms further up north (Pyrenées) and west (Lérida).

And then there is western Barcelona (30 km.) and Tarragona.

We are quite lucky …

1 Like

We had very rarely a tasting menu (and we have eaten many of them) where we weren’t stuffed afterwards (and we are not light eaters)

1 Like

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-06-11/eleven-madison-park-new-vegan-menu-review-from-opening-night?srnd=living

5 Likes

I’m with you. And when doing the wine paring, usually drunk too.

1 Like

Bye,Bye Miss American Pie !!!

What does that mean? That it will go out of business as a vegan restaurant?

One thing I do recall about EMP is that they weren’t stingy with the pours if you did a wine pairing. If the sommelier saw I liked the wine, he would top up the glass. The final straw so to speak was when they dropped the bottle of brandy on the table. Oh my, I sometimes wondered if I would be able to walk out on my own.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting that @BoneAppetite - really well described and interesting. Truly a universe of foods within the vegan spectrum.

Thanks for sharing!

Pete Wells writes a mixed review of EMP in the NY Times today, including this gem:

They used to do a similar beet act at Agern, a New Nordic restaurant in Grand Central Terminal, roasting it inside a crust of salt and vegetable ash. That beet tasted like a beet, but more so. The one at Eleven Madison Park tastes like Lemon Pledge and
smells like a burning joint.<

4 Likes

Yeah, I would say calling it a mixed review is being generous. He liked a couple dishes, but it was mostly negative. I thought it was interesting that although the restaurant has gone vegan, you can still reserve a private party room and have them cook you a roast.

2 Likes

^ My favorite line from the review. :laughing:

In all seriousness though, when I heard that the restaurant was going to a vegan menu among my first thoughts was that they’d feel compelled to overwork the ingredients in order to justify a lofty price point.

Sounds like that’s what happened.

3 Likes

I wonder how this will go over with the vegan crowd.

4 Likes

Beef tenderloin though? Isn’t that almost as boring as chicken breast? :laughing:

2 Likes

But it’s expensive. Which means it MUST be good. Right?

3 Likes

Perhaps it’s cooked in some special way to make it come out tasting like a beet.

7 Likes

thanks for the laugh!

1 Like