Downtown Detroit / Shake Shack invades

Love Shake Shack. Wish we had it out here.

2 Likes

There are a couple in the Los Angeles area (Hollywood, West Hollywood, Glendale, and Century City) if you ever head south.

2 Likes

I’ve been to Shake Shack in both NYC and Florida, and it’s fine…but it absolutely SHOULD NOT be called “Shake Shack”. I find their shakes to be functional at best, and lousy at worst. The one I had in NYC was functional; the one I had in Florida was so lousy I had to return it and get my money back, which they did without any problem.

I have to say: even though they don’t provide grilled onions (even if you ask!), it’s a darned tasty burger. I think it’s a bit expensive, but burgers in general seem to be that way a lot more these days. It’s a pretty yummy version, though. Fries, too, are better than average.

I guess that’s why I’m confused about the name. With their burgers/fries being their strong suit, why name the place after your weakest point? I understand that it’s kind of a catchy, alliterative name, but they’re putting the emphasis on the wrong thing, IMHO. With that said, I think it’s a better alternate to the ho-hum-ness that is Five Guys.

1 Like

The original location in madison square park was the first spot in nyc to make a custard style “milkshake” which was one of their initial pushes as to what made them different and destination worthy were these super thick custards in changing flavors.
I can’t say as to what has changed there with their expansion nationwide but initially it was a draw since there are certainly plenty of spots to get a good burger in nyc

1 Like

Custard? REALLY??? Like I said, the one in New York City was functional, but certainly not what I’d consider to be a good/great milkshake…but it was certainly imbibe-able, and on a hot summer day, it did its job. I can believe that one was made with custard, though that’s probably part-and-parcel of my problem with the thing: to me, a proper milkshake is make with hand-dipped vanilla ice cream, not custard. Having said that, you go to a place named “Shake Shack”, you’ve gotta try the shake. Mandatory.

The one in Florida, though? It was stinking gritty. And I mean that…there was grit in that thing, and it was nothing shy of terrible. Back it went after about two spoons’ worth. Fair is fair: the burger and fries were both very good, and I wasn’t mad about the whole thing, especially considering that they had no problem refunding my ~$6 terrible shake. In the end, I was fed, and had quality food that made me happy.

But really: the shakes I’ve had make me wonder who in their right mind would name the place after them.

1 Like

It’s just called frozen custard since it’s made with eggs- this style of ice cream and milkshakes is popular in the midwest, (i want to say danny meyer is from the midwest? Not sure) a thicker richer base than just the milk/cream and sugar usually used for ice cream.
I don’t doubt you had a crummy one in florida, but if/when you’re in nyc go to the madison sq park location and have one there. It’s good stuff.

1 Like