Do You Wear An Apron When You Cook?

For those of us of some, ahem, substance, tying round the back is a problem,as it’s just not long enough. I use one of those clips usually used for sealing plastic bags.

1 Like

I think those cute little aprons were designed to be paired with the full dresses of the era and also look good with high heels & the perfect coif. The ideal woman and homemaker, at least from TV & magazines. I so agree a half apron is pretty worthless for coverage where you need it.

Your collection intrigues me, maybe you could post pictures sometime? I do have a couple retro half aprons that I got from my late mom’s house. I don’t recall her wearing aprons however.

1 Like

I think they got packed away when I was thinking of moving. I’ll keep an eye out for them. In a past kitchen they were made into a garland of sorts by tying the apron strings together and hung. Looked like prayer flags to the domestic/hearth gods!

I wear old T-shirts that are stained from previous cooking. On the occasions I wear a non stained one it ends up in the stained pile. I should know better…

4 Likes

I tend to wear an apron for really messy tasks…but I am a world champ at swearing when I spatter a favorite blouse. Shout it out, indeed. Lol.

2 Likes

I’m with you on the old, stained shirts. No apron.

Often do–I have three of them right there–especially working with flour doughs or making tomato sauces.

About tomato sauce, I think there is some cosmic rule of order that one cannot make a tomato sauce wearing a white dress shirt without coming out with a splatter stain–but the apron helps deflect, so my aprons are therefore a mess.

p.s.: I’ve never bought an apron; friends who know I cook a lot have given me them, and I’m grateful.

2 Likes

The same rule applies to eating it!

6 Likes

I have one from my sister ( who passed away last year), which she purchased when she was taking classes at L’Academie de Cuisine in Gaithersburg MD, which has since closed. We would coordinate a visit where I could sit in on a pastry or sides course. It was a real hands on program, and my cost was to literally help wash the dishes after the class!
So that apron give me a boost and real spirit when I wear it, especially on a holiday.

6 Likes

That is the kind of story that is so heartwarming! Sure the apron just brings back so many good memories. DH will wear his yiayias full front aprons when he’s making Greek pastries - it looks pretty funny. He wears a more manly apron when he grills or smokes something. But too often no apron & lots of grease stains. I get them out with Greased Lightning which is amazing for cleaning & even laundry, especially grease stains.

2 Likes

I do if I start cooking as soon I get home from work, and before I change clothes. I always think “I’ll just do this one thing, and then change”…I’ve ruined too many nice tops; my dry cleaner agrees.

Wish I would do the same before I get in the garden. I got to a really nice restaurant last night and THEN noticed my very dirty nails.

2 Likes