Do you still think dinner on Saturday night is special.

Congratulations, Eli (and Mrs. P)!!

2 Likes

1 Like

Almost 7 years ago I made the move from NNJ down to the Jersey Shore, and unexpectedly found out that if there are other things to do (hellooooo live music), I didnā€™t feel the ā€˜needā€™ to be out to dinner on the weekends. That + living in a ā€˜destinationā€™ town = staying out of my local favorites most of the time during the high season.

Add to that (pre-pandemic,) the fact that my dining out habits changed because I was losing a bunch of weight, and I made the decision that if I wasnā€™t having a meal with someone else, I wouldnā€™t eat out. Suddenly the hidden fat/salt/sugar wasnā€™t in the mix that often (nor was the alcohol), and I realized again that when there are other ā€˜entertainmentā€™ options, being out in a crowded restaurant on a Saturday night just didnā€™t matter to me that much.

Add to that the fact that decades ago I read that you should have something fun planned for Sunday afternoons/evenings to hold off the Monday blues, and I guess I stopped following the crowds that way as well. I started hosting friends for early dinners on Sundays on a regular basis. It gave me a chance to try new recipes and see people whose schedules didnā€™t always align with mine (friends w young kids, for instance). The pandemic has changed that, but eventually Iā€™ll entertain again. Maybe. :laughing:

Suffice it to say that I havenā€™t lost my love of food or cookbooks or food discussion, but all of these things have affected my interested in being out on a Saturday night - thatā€™s for sure.

18 Likes

Whew

Iā€™m a working stiff so a fancy dinner during the week isnā€™t relaxing. I prefer Friday for a special dinner as it is a nice wind down from the week. Saturday I prefer to cook a nice meal since I have time to get ingredients and take my time to prepare it.

5 Likes

Well, Iā€™m a little late to the party but I think the recurring theme has been established: weekends are mostly a ā€œthingā€ with the working folks. ā€œBack in the dayā€ I use to be ā€œMr. Saturday Nightā€ at any of a few select restaurant / watering holes. Every single Friday/Saturday night I / we were out and about, but guess what?

I got ā€œolderā€, wiser and a heck of a lot less patient. I will still go out on a Friday or Saturday night, but I no longer look forward to it or plan for it. Weekend dining is mostly restricted to socializing, weā€™ll go out if we have plans with another couple, otherwise we are home on the weekends. The only other reason you might catch me out on a Saturday night, Iā€™m sitting in on one of my daughterā€™s reservations.

My daughter and future son-in-law (late 20ā€™s) and both establishing themselves in their careers, they are Saturday night people. My daughter also likes most of the more ā€œpopularā€ places (Gabriellaā€™s in Middletown) some of which I also enjoy. So, she books reservations weeks in advance to ā€œsecureā€ them, but sometimes she has a conflict so I will sit in, so she doesnā€™t get a reputation for not fulfilling her reservations.

One other ā€œoddā€ observation about myself, I quit drinking (again) at the first of the year. Iā€™ve done this from time to time, always with the intention of going back sooner or later. This time is different honestly and Iā€™m in no rush and have no plans on resuming. Iā€™ve noticed as my ā€œpenchantā€ for having a drink has subsided, so has my overall desire to be in that environment. I truly enjoyed going out having a few cocktails and 'unwinding"ā€¦now the idea of stopping at a bar for an unsweetened iced tea and playing on my phone for an hour while ā€œunwindingā€ at a bar isnā€™t as appealing as when I had a martini (or 4).

For me personally I think itā€™s just more about; ā€œbeen there done thatā€. Iā€™ve spent so many years working and playing in restaurants and bars, Iā€™m actually somewhat happy to be retired. When I go out these days itā€™s so much more about the company and the food than the experience. When I was younger, I wanted to be ā€œin itā€, whatever or wherever ā€œitā€ was - thatā€™s where I wanted to be! Now if you tell me; ā€œHey Jrā€¦ā€œItā€ is right over thereā€!!!..yeah, Iā€™m going the other way. lol

Leave me alone and stay off my friggin lawn!!!

18 Likes

Lots of truth in your reply :+1:

1 Like

Retired. It is Monday night. I am polishing off my second martini. I am about to grill pork chops, street corn, and heritage tomatoes. Yeah, it could get more special, but every nightā€™s dinner is fun. Saturdays are only special if we invite someone to join us.

9 Likes

After venturing to the Grand Tavern Friday and earlier in the week walking up to Porta, I will be cooking even more at home.
The octopus at Porta is now 30 bucks, and four of us at the Grand Tavern almost hit 400 bucks, now there were two bottles of wine and cocktails but still some sticker shock having not been to either of those places for about 6 months.

3 Likes

WOOOOOOOOOOOW.
Yes, prices have definitely gone up around here, but thatā€™s crazy! I think it used to be $18.

Well, that puts things into perspective. Where I live, $100 pp with drinks would be pretty reasonable, for an upscale-ish place.

2 Likes

Yeah, I tend to agree however I donā€™t really consider the Grand Tavern to be an ā€œupscale-ishā€ place. They are putting out some good food, and they are charging for it, but to say itā€™s upscale? Thatā€™s probably an adjective I wouldnā€™t use to explain it.

Throw me a link, why donā€™t you. I donā€™t know where it is.

https://www.thegrandtavern.com/

Grazie!

Upscale: beer list (some of it, anyway), gochuchang, shallots, cornichons, ramp pesto
Not upscale: no liquor brands revealed on cocktail menu, American cheese

Verdict: upscale

2 Likes

To each their own I guess. Iā€™ve been to Grand a few times, like I said good meal/food but if Iā€™m thinking of a ā€œupscaleā€ place to go, this isnā€™t even on the radar.

1 Like

Maybe YOU have ramp pesto at every meal, but for some of us, itā€™s a luxury.

ETA: Just looked at pix of the interior on Yelp. No white tablecloths! So, I see what you mean.

1 Like

Please, I said the food is good/very good however ā€œup-scaleā€ to me is a lot more than just food. Take Peter Lugers Steakhouse for instance, probably one of the most highly acclaimed steakhouses in the country, do I call it upscale? Absolutely not.

To me up-scale is a complete dining experience. You can have excellent food, but if itā€™s coming out of a Food Truck, Tavern or bombed out district in Brooklyn, none of those are in the ā€œup-scaleā€ category to me.

If for you up-scale is only the quality of food, then for you sure this is upscale.

Itā€™s ok for us to have different definitions of what is ā€œup-scaleā€ - however I would hate for someone to read this and walk away from the experience with a different impression they went into it with.

1 Like

No, itā€™s also the service and the atmosphere. Buffets, cafeterias, food trucks: not upscale. But ā€œupscaleā€ is also not my fanciest rating. (And keep in mind that I originally referred to this place as upscale-ISH.) My fanciest rating is ā€œfine dining.ā€

See for me the two are practically interchangeable. (up-scale/fine dining) Which is why I wouldnā€™t consider this ā€œfine-diningā€ either.

1 Like