Do you still post on Chowhound?

I occasionally post a photo, but keep comments to a bare minimum. I’m not providing free content to them anymore.

I’ve also been slowly deleting my old posts, because I don’t want them to own my content. It’s taking forever, though. You have to delete each comment and post individually. :roll_eyes:

I didn’t think you could delete.

Besides, I’ve contributed so much that it would take forever. The Top Chef recap threads alone would take out a lot of content (not that I believe anyone goes back to re-read them.) And if you start a thread and delete it (like a WFD thread), would it delete the entire thread?

1 Like

I don’t know. I’m mostly deleting my cooking posts. I can’t even imagine trying to delete all my posts. That would be the way to madness. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Watching Caitlin post on like nothing’s wrong is painful. :disappointed_relieved:
I hope they pay her well for this.

Is it just my feed, or has the rest of Chowhound completely died out? Only Homecooking threads on my feed and it’s sputtering along.

4 Likes

I installed some updates recommended by the manufacturer but the computer wouldn’t restart. The geeks at work said it’s been a problem with folks and reset everything pro bono but everything was wiped out.

Chowhound was wiped out and I won’t be resetting my account.

There’s still more Manhattan-based discussion on Chowhound than on Hungry Onion. Here’s an apples-to-apples comparison: saregama makes an identical query on Hungry Onion and on Chowhound. There, s/he gets three responses. Here, s/he gets zero.

I suppose that’s logical. CH had a large user base so, even with those people who decamped to here or those who simply disappeared, there’s still a sizeable base. Furthermore, I suspect that non-users who may Google for something are more likely to find a previous CH thread than a similar HO one (if such yet exists).

1 Like

In sports, I generally root for a team. On food boards, I peruse many & participate if/when something interesting comes up. CH has been most useful to me on the Outer Boroughs Board (very good recent commentary on various Mexican places), as well as the Italy Board. The France Board misses some old timers, but seems viable enough.

1 Like

Agree with all that. And I also think that while a lot of the NJ folk migrated here, and a lot of the LA folk migrated to FTC, many of the Manhattan posters still visit all three sites (pace SteveR’s recent post).

1 Like

It was going to be my first post on restaurants here (and on FTC - also zero responses so far) - from reading past restaurant discussions, I expected more opinions here than on CH, so I’m a bit surprised it’s been the other way.

It’s really the ongoing nyc restaurant chatter I miss - insta, Yelp, other stuff don’t replace person-to-person food chats.

1 Like

OMG, the Vegas board. :tired_face:

At this point, why bother? Just kill that thing with fire.

I had the same issue on a recent-ish Android phone - posting from mobile was well neigh impossible! So insanely slow! How that level of drag is acceptable to anyone technical gives me grave misgivings about the site.

1 Like

No, haven’t posted on CH in a long time. Don’t even look there anymore.

Nope. I’ll read it once a week at most, but activity is so slow, there’s no reason to go more than once a week.

I’ve noticed it’s not as friendly as it used to be, another reason to avoid.

The increase in unbridled swearing on OH makes me wonder if we aren’t headed down the same path as CH.

What’s OH?

I disliked FTC (which launched about the same time as HO) because obscenities were tossed about for no reason other than to toss them about. Maybe I visit the wrong threads, but I haven’t noticed “unbridled swearing” on HO. Sure, the occasional cussword, but “unbridled”? Is there a thread or two you can point to? I’m seriously not trying to be confrontational, just curious if I missed a trend that may need to be addressed.

2 Likes

A backward HO?

1 Like

I agree, gk. I haven’t either.

I think HO has the most intelligent conversations and the most educated (if not skilled) posters and I’m liking the direction it’s taking.

4 Likes