Delicious Fish & Chips, Outstanding Lobster Rolls and Bright, Fresh Oysters, Clams with Bellies and More - Connie & Ted's [Thoughts + Pics]

There is a hefty markup in Boston. Get outside of the city and prices drop a lot. My wife and I went to one of our favorites yesterday for fried clams. I got whole bellies. The wife went with a clam strip roll and chowder. Two Arnold palmers. One concession to modernity was the sweet potato fries which are very good. Total tab including tip was $62. They also had a sign saying they had to raise prices as their costs had gone up. Said price of bellies had doubled.

I will try and get to the lobster roll place this week and see what their price is now. I will post a pic of the size if I get there.

5 Likes

So we went to the Lobster Shack to have a lobster roll, Connecticut style as that’s where it is. Price was $22.99, up $4 since last time we went. Bigger than what I think the photo showed from Connie & Ted. This one is about 10” long.

3 Likes

Inquiring minds want to know where you ate? And the lobster shack?

1 Like

Thanks @BKeats . Looks delicious! :slight_smile: I can’t wait to try some Lobster Rolls if I’m visiting the area when it’s safe again.

Hi @paranoidgarliclover ,

I checked Neptune Oyster, which was $36:

James Hook & Co. Lobster Roll comes in 2 sizes, the “Regular Lobster Roll with Butter” is $32. I confirmed it’s only 6 oz (1/3 of a pound). Large Lobster Roll is 1/2 pound (8 oz) for $35.

Thanks.

1 Like

We’re doing a mini staycation in Connecticut on what is called the Shoreline. Essentially the middle of the state on Long Island Sound. The clams were from the Clam Castle in Madison and the lobster at the Lobster Shack in East Haven.

2 Likes

Oh, how funny! I think the place I went to in Boston was Neptune’s Oyster (I looked up pics of the restaurant, and it looks familiar)! Not entirely sure b/c that was nearly 10 yrs ago, and I didn’t have a smartphone then.

If the size hasn’t changed (and it certainly might have), I would say that the Neptune’s Oyster roll is a decent amount bigger than is C&T’s.

Having said, i actually don’t remember being THAT impressed w/ the one I had at Neptune’s Oyster. Read on-line that the use a hot dog roll (WTF). Given shipping cost, etc., I think C&T’s price is about “right” for an upscale-ish joint. And the lobster I had at C&T was utterly perfect.

1 Like

Snack time. Matt Leanne Juan Johnny and the team so welcoming and such nice service makes it all taste even better.

5 Likes

Nice @chienrouge ! :slight_smile:

And I see you got the side of Spinach (such a good value! (considering how much Spinach they had to cook to fill up that bowl).) :slight_smile:

Yes, I’ve always loved their spinach and glad that I’m not alone!

Other folks in my family got some of the other sides: fries, carrots, mac n cheese, and rolls. We all shared. If you haven’t had it there before the simply grilled halibut is out of sight. So juicy and delicious, something I could never replicate at home. A few other updates for you, no pictures of the rest, are that there is a new pastry chef in the house and some new stuff like a harry’s berries whoopie pie (ok), a peach pie, donuts, and of course the usual standbys. I can never get away from their house made ice cream and enjoyed coffee chocolate ripple. Other things I like to get there are the fried clams and the steamed lobster, oysters, stuffies, but you really need to pick and choose you can’t eat it all in one night. For me last night cocktails, lobster roll, chowder, the remainder of kid’s meals and dessert worked great. Usually I chose the new england chowder and love it it’s not gloopy or thick in any way but the RI version is really great too, gotta mix it up. Cheers.

2 Likes

Hi @chienrouge ,

Yes! :slight_smile: Definitely agree on your favs and menu picks. We like those, too. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info on their new pastry chef, that’s good to know.

For the 3 different Clam Chowders, I actually enjoy all 3 of them because as you said, Chef Cimarusti and team have created recipes that aren’t gloopy (for New England), and the Manhattan is balanced, tart and the Rhode Island Clear Chowder is really cool to see here on the west coast. :slight_smile:

1 Like

For my crew it’s one of our favorite spots. And a huge menu. Somethings I don’t really love as much as others. I’d rather have much less battered onion rings. Something crispier and thinner and like the fried clam or shrimp batter. Onion rings something I really love but not here. I just haven’t loved the fish and chips as much as others. I find the fish also too much batter and not crispy enough with the fish sort of sliding out in the cooked batter. It’s not terrible by any stretch and plenty to also order. I’d rather have less batter even if this kind and super crispy. Still much on the menu I haven’t tried because so hard to escape favorites. Manhattan clam has escaped me and may continue to do so. Some of the specials are or look good. Bouillabaisse is a huge pile of seafood and a sort of thermos of soup to pour over. Gumbo nice and lobster stocky but too much chicken and meat and not enough fresh seafood for me it is lacking in crab.

I commend this spot for consistency and doing what they do.

Always eager to go

2 Likes

Hi @chienrouge ,

I hear you on the Fish & Chips batter. What’s interesting is that it’s only happened to us maybe ~30% of the time (the fish might slide out from part of the batter). But other times it’s fine and still quality Cod and a nice fry overall.

For the Chowder, clearly the way to get yourself to try the Manhattan is order the Sampler! :wink: That way you get all 3 (New England, Manhattan and Rhode Island Clear) and can finally sample the missing Chowder. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In thinking about fish and chips, what I realized is that when I want fried fish these days I want it from Ricky’s or Tacos Baja Ensenada or spot like that in taco form and taco stand atmosphere (no pricy and shittier fish tacos - or fish and chips - from Water Grill, Connie and Teds etc). Mexico even better. We’re in California dammit. I’m not gonna be looking for fish tacos in the UK however!

Hi @chienrouge ,

I hear you. :slight_smile: However, Ricky’s Fish Tacos has been on downhill alert for the last few years (since before COVID). The last time we went, the Fish Tacos were Tilapia or Swai depending on the availability (ugh), and it tasted less crispy than before. Ricky’s “Lobster” Taco he sold us tasted like Krab (fake Crab), stringy, salty and just bad. We were so upset. :frowning:

Agree about Tacos Baja Ensenada, still a great value, but I think they use Tilapia these days as well IIRC?

Angry Egret Dinette uses a rotating group of fresh fish that Chef Avila gets in every week. Sometimes you get Halibut (great!) or Pacific Sea Bass, Rock Cod, and more. Just really good quality. :slight_smile:

Holbox is also great for their Fish Tacos, and I love their Fish Tacos Al Carbon (grilled) more than the Fried version, but that’s good, too. :blush:

1 Like

How is Sergio doing ? Why mess around .

1 Like

Hi @emglow101 ,

Thanks for the reminder. :slight_smile: We definitely haven’t been able to see Chef Sergio since before the pandemic. Definitely need to revisit. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Indeed, it’s a great go-to. Very consistent. Our play for 2: lunch outside, mid-afternoon

• 2 orders of half-dozen oysters. Maybe 4 topneck clams. For oysters, we like Coromandels, Beau Soleils, or Kusshis, but we usually just go with chef’s choice.
  • 2 lobster rolls: 1 hot w/ fries, 1 cold w/ coleslaw.
  • (If we’re extra hungry, a bucket of steamers or a basket of fried clams w/ bellies)
  • Don’t forget the excellent fruit sorbets, especially in the summer (like Santa Rosa Plum)

If a 3rd joins us, she usually gets the Hook Burger or Grilled Catch of the Day.

Corkage-free Tuesdays: bring a Chablis (De Moor) or Champagne (Lilbert, Laherte, Vouette Blanc d’Argile, or Dhondt-Grellet)

Otherwise, beer or their grapefruit cocktails.

It appears that they no longer have their “Hokkaido Dog” scallop sausage?

Looks like I should add the spinach to my rotation.

3 Likes

I agree the oysters really shine. Cold. Clean. Delicious. Great variety. Served up perfectly. I enjoy the NZ ones too.

I’ll have to try the sorbet. I keep waiting for a return of the peanut butter or maple ripple ice cream. The ice cream is always solid. I don’t think they serve the wet nuts anymore tho.

No Hokkaido dog anymore that I have seen. I never got to try it. Maybe the happy hour menu will return. Maybe I just miss seeing it.

The simply grilled fish is always a treat too.

And yes the spinach is amazing. No bacon.

We like the upstairs patio area too. The service in the entire joint is amAzing. That chowder hits your table hot seconds after ordering !

2 Likes

Hi @BradFord ,

The Hokkaido Dog was amazing! :slight_smile: We saw it back on the menu maybe 5 months ago? But haven’t been back recently; it might be rotated off for now. Hopefully it comes back. Thanks for the tip on the sorbets! :slight_smile: