Dallas/ Austin boards

Interested in starting them? Please register your interest here:

The purpose of this thread is to connect folks from this geo so they know 1) there is mutual interest in building up the board and 2) that if one start posting there will be others who join in at the same time, to avoid the ‘are there others here?’ syndrome.

You may say, well why not just start posting? Please do that too, but please comment your interest in this thread as well. The problem is that if interested user A post a review on the 1st. Interested User B sees the review on the 15th, doesn’t comment. Interested user C sees the review on the 30th, doesn’t comment. Users A, B, and C may all individually think that there is minimal interest in such a board.

But if users A, B, and C all express their interest in this thread and start talking around the same time, we can avoid the problem of ‘the illusion of lack of interest due to time lag in interested users coming onto the site.’

Adding @vstock @twinwillow for Dallas. Twinwillow, welcome!

Thanks Sampson. Hopefully we can attract a few more Dallasites to build our knowledge base back up!

I’d also like to see a DFW board- the lack of one has kept me pretty quiet on this site.

Anyone we should invite from DFW? its pretty challenging to have discussions with only a handful of people from DFW.

yes yes yes there should be both a Dallas and an Austin board.

Where do the Austin people discuss these days? Seems they have disappeared from Chowhound. Where is Sqwertz?

HMMM don’t know. Haven’t checked Chowhound recently! Did some drama go down that made everyone leave?

1 Like

Popped up recently on eG I believe, under a different name but I think it’s the same person.

1 Like

Yeah.

I recall back in Sep 2015 sqwertz wrote a note on Chowhound wondering if the Austin community should migrate somewhere else. I think everyone sort of stay put for a while before the Austin community slow died out. If you want some fellow Austinites to converse with, you should drop him a note to see if you can gather a number of them. His email is in his Chowhound profile.

BTW, welcome @malarkey ! curious how you found your way here?

BTW, Dallas never got going here, just too few of them I think. I think it wasn’t that big even at Chowhound.

Hungry Onion was mentioned in a Facebook thread on my timeline. Thread is all about eG, which I was surprised to find had a presence on FB. So of course, it stirred up a lot of nostalgia.

2 Likes

I respectfully disagree. Back when CH mattered there was an Austin board and a Texas board. Many folks from Houston and DFW posted on the board about the other city citing business trips and lots of people lived in both cities.

When Houston and DFW got their own boards it all ended. I’d like to see us as one happy family again.

There was also a lively who has better food Houston v DFW debate and now we can throw Austin in if we can get some posters from those two cities.

1 Like

Dallas was like Houston, kinda sleepy at times in between surges of activity.

yeah, I can understand that. If there are not a lot of people, it may as well stay as one.

speakin’ of CH, I just went there and MAN it is a ghost town.

1 Like

They did a fine job of driving away their base.

Used to live in Dallas and I’m in Austin now. I’m up for continuing conversation.

1 Like

Welcome! How did you find us?

1 Like

Do it!!

Used to live in Dallas and I’m in Austin now. I’m up for continuing conversation