Cultural Fusion examples around me my whole life

My cultural learning experiences began watching my Swedish grandmother cook. We lived in a broader immigrant community of Northern and Southern Europeans, becoming quite prosperous working in the deep pit iron ore mines.

To keep their husband’s well fed, the Northern Europeans adapted the Cornish pasty–meat and potatoes wrapped in a pastry shell–into our own UP Michigan pasty. I didn’t experience the Cornish kind until decades later in Pasadena:

https://luckybaldwins.pub/

The Southern European wives waited until their mining husbands came home, and served them our locally adapted version of a pizza.

These days, you can get both traditions at once at The Pasty Corner, with beef, rutabaga, or “pizza” pasties:

Many decades ago, I made the move to California, and now it’s European and Asian–and I make my way to Grace’s Fanta sea grill:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=fanta+sea+grill+grace

Here, our Chinese chef (Grace) takes hand made Italian pasta, her own sauces, and sea food, to prepare vegetarian friendly gourmet food for a culturally mixed clientele.

Cultural fusion is alive and well in South Pasadena.

Ray

8 Likes

We had hand pies as our dish of the quarter in winter.
I’d link it but I don’t know how to use the infinity symbol. Or chain.
Take your pick.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Don’t forget “Amazing” Grace at Fanta sea grill. Here she is in action:

2 Likes

Is she still making the three mushroom pasta? I recall really enjoying that.

1 Like

Soon, I hope. She’s been closed, but about to reopen.

I liked it too.

Ray

2 Likes

Rutabagorz

Looking for a restaurant that could serve and please a diverse international group of friends. Here’s what I found:

With a name like Rutabegorz, it had to be good!

Served 10 with little cuisine in common. They were all delighted.

Ray

Walter’s in Claremont:

Afghan international explosion

Wow has that changed since school days in Claremont in the late sixties!

2 Likes

After attending a live Beethoven’s 9th concert in Ontario as a guest of the Bass soloist, we decided to celebrate in the nearby Claremont Village at Walter’s.

For old time’s sake, I ordered the Afghan burger, our Soloist ordered pasta, and a friend ordered a turkey stew-- we even had dessert–all great, with excellent service.

The Afghan burger is from a substantial spiced beef patty–quite different from an American hamburger, with a completely unique potato accompaniment that wasn’t exactly a french fry.

A rumination. What you call cultural fusion seems to me to be increased diversity. In a bit of irony, as restaurant offerings become more diverse, the classic USA coffee shop seems to be endangered. I loved Walter’s when it was a coffee shop. I especially liked the Dagwood burger.

We ate the other night at a spot I do view as true fusion, Loro. It is the pairing of Aaron Franklin and Tyson Cole styles. The flavors of Franklin Texas barbecue and the Japanese genius displayed in Uchi are melded. Even the architecture blends the Texas barbecue joint and the beamed architecture of larger Japanese buildings. My other fusion favorite is Chi’lantro, blending Korean, Mexican, and a nod to barbecue.

2 Likes

Hi Vecchiouomo,

Walter’s has gone upscale a bit–but that’s what they always wanted. They’ve stretched without giving up their identity–and they’ve done it well.

Where is Loro? and Chi’lantro? Sound very interesting.

Ray

Both started here but have spread to other Texas cities.

Here being Austin.

Loro:

1 Like

Yum. They sadly discontinued my favorite, the bulgogi burger. Bulgogi, onion (grilled), lettuce, tomato, a wonderful spicy mayonnaise sauce, caramelized kimchi, and a fried egg. Their kimchi fries are also good.

Hi Vecchiouoma,

What’s missing from the two places you’ve cited, IMO, are the changes over the years–more evident in single restaurants like Walters. My home town pasty place managed to fuse in the Italian tradition–but it took 50 years.

Ray

Fusion:

Not sure what to make of the misspelling save for to assume this is unapproved.

3 Likes

This is beer ice cream?
:frowning:

Or haggis?

1 Like