Covid shutdowns from a restaurant owner's point of view

Two or three days from specimen collection, or two or three days from (a presumably negative) result?

Ha! The medical community weighs in! grin It’s all very clever and actually accommodates edge conditions. The requirements for USVI and PR and most other territories and countries albeit not all is specimen collection two or three days before departure. The major use case of course is air travel but the departure requirement (vice arrival) accounts for ships (especially commercial, but my constituency benefits). Accordingly my crew will be tested at home five days before 14 Jan when we leave Deltaville VA (so healthy people get on the boat) and then one day before departure on 16 Jan from Hampton VA. The latter is for PR entry. We’ll be a quarantined bubble on the boat for seven to ten days depending on weather and progress. The requirement for entry to USVI or PR is two days before departure. The requirement for BVI is three days. I believe the EU requirement is three days. Not sure about post BREXIT UK. Not sure about BOTS except for BVI. Isle of Man and Channel Islands may have gone their own way. It seems islands with fragile healthcare systems are being really careful.

My crew for this trip are locked down now, as am I. Hard quarantine (vice isolation) with curbside only for groceries et al. Households as well. I really thought my policy (https://AuspiciousWorks.com/delivery/COVIDpolicy.pdf) would make crew requirement hard. Instead I’ve been flooded with candidates. Apparently people, at least some people, are reassured by due care.

3 Likes

This is good news … Had no idea of anyone´s professions here.

Turkey: It is not part of the E.U. And shall not be under its current government.

The E.U. Regulations at the moment; are if you are doing business, you require a test for Covid to board a plane. There is no tourism. Just business and / or citizens of an E.U. country returning to their natal country and they must also have a Covid Test and also a 14 day quarantine … And they must register with the Police of the city or town they are visiting and also the Health Ministry …

Turkey is not allowed to enter the majority of the Western E.U. countries.

The U.K. At the moment they are banned from the E.U. Terrible plight … The majority of England (not Scotland) is on lock-down. Very very sad.

All E.U. countries have a 21 day interval between vaccine shot 1 and shot 2. It is for checking secondary effects, to my knowledge. And there are 3 vaccines as well. Oxford Astezeneca, German BioNTech and the Moderna, I think is North American.

Lunch in Spain: Menu del dias are approx 10 €uros - 13 €uros and the majority of executives, business men and business women and office staff, prefer to sit down at a restaurant or on a terrace and have lunch away from the office. Lunch is not 30 or 45 minutes. It is 1 hour and a half. Mediterraneans !

I have an office, and none of my staff would eat a sandwich or fast food for lunch. Our main meal of the day is Lunch. 3 courses (starter, main and either a fruit or a dessert and / or coffee … ) With a basket of fresh bread and a bottle of wine on table.

There may be people who bring a lunch from their home to an office in large corporations if there is a dedicated lunch kitchen room with a refrigerator and a micro-wave, and seating to do so.
However, I do not know …

I think this answers your questions.

2 Likes

It does! Thank you.

They have, as often. They are not part of the UK, although they are Crown Dependencies (different from UK Overseas Territories like Bermuda, Pitcairn & Gibraltar)

1 Like

Certainly in the UK, it would be commonplace for people to bring lunch from home. I have been retired for around 16 years now but it would be back in the early 1980s when I last worked at a place that had a canteen, where many would buy lunch. In the 20+ years after that, lunch for me (as most office workers) was a sandwich eaten at your desk.

2 Likes

Scotland goes into significant lockdown measures from midnight. This goes further than the highest level of restrictions which much of the country has been subject to for some weeks. This will involve schools closing for the this month and the country being under a “stay at home” order

The UK prime minister is to do a TV broadcast this evening which, at this point, I guess he is going to announce similar action for England (he only has responsibility for such matters in that part of the UK). Wales and Northern Ireland have already implemented tighter measures but I don’t think these are full “stay at home” orders.

This new variant of the disease is serious business. Many hospitals are now reporting that they have more Covid patients than during the first wave in the spring.

1 Like

Scotland just announced its lock down which will begin this evening at 12am, January 4th into the 5th.

i just had read about this in The Guardian.

What a shame. Truly awful. Brits cannot enter any U.E. ( European Union) country of Schengen Affiliated countries. Only if they have legal E.U. Residencies or are natives of the country they want to fly to.

Same as Usa and Canada too and most of South America. Unless they are a legal resident or citizen of the country they want to go to. Same regulations for them as well.

They have very strict quarantines and Police / Health Ministry registeries and of course the paperwork, documents and the Negative Test Certification document.

2 Likes

Although you could have read about it in the post I made some four hours before yours.

By the by, the lockdowns in England, Scotland and Wales (and possibly Northern Ireland) make it illegal for Britons to leave their homes to go on holiday (even within the UK). So, the ban on our movement is somewhat more over-arching than simply the EU banning our entry to those countries. I can now leave my home only to shop for food, a daily exercise session or other essential reason (such as attending a medical appointment, or escaping familky abuse). The ban on us being able to holiday in Spain is trivial in comparision with the restrictions on daily life (all of which I entirely support).

3 Likes

1 Like

Yes, all my very best wishes during these highly challenging and difficult times.

Stay well …

Spain was in lockdown from March 13th - end of May 2020. It was challenging however, we managed and kept ourselves very busy … so we did not dwell on subject … I would of never wanted to do it alone. Lucky me, my Dear and I were together and managed to enjoy our time together … We missed our family however, with mobiles, and emails and what´s app and messenger we managed fine.

All my best wishes.

Yes. I follow events in the Canaries (where I often holiday at this time of year) and Mallorca (from where family members originate). I read El Pais online several times a week.

1 Like

Tomorrow there shall be some updates on the regions and zones that have increased in hospitalisations and etcetra.

Mallorca is in semi lockdown.

The Canary Islands (7): Tenerife has alot of challenges with Covid.

The other islands have been improving – since I last looked a few days ago.

i hope that the vaccination process shall now move ahead quicker …

Holidays: things have been moving slowly …

Best wishes and have a healthy and wonderful 2021.

1 Like

Thursday is when the provincial government and the Tenerife Cabildo usually meet. If there are to be further restrictions, they will probably be announced this evening. I follow a Tenerife related forum where a contributor posts the daily infection figures for the island. Thankfully (for them), far lower at present than my home borough.

1 Like

Lots of islands are doing well, mostly in my opinion because they have been taking more stringent action. From New Zealand to St Thomas they are motivated by fragile healthcare systems that could be easily overwhelmed.

2 Likes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-10-02/food-inflation-higher-wages-u-s-restaurants-recovery-is-under-threat?srnd=premium

4 Likes

Thanks for this article.

I can see evidence around me of the persistent challenges. All but one of the small independent restaurants in our regular takeout rotation nudged up their menu prices in either August or September. One place added an optional service charge earlier on in the pandemic.

We’re not going out for indoor dining nor as often as we used to, so we channel any restaurant spending to owner-operated independent places in our orbit.

4 Likes