Coquito Recipe

I usually make an aged eggnog for the holidays, but this year I thought I would switch it up a little bit. I want to try making coquito, I’ve found several recipes online, but I’m interested in knowing if any of you have ever made it and what recipe worked for you.

watching this in interest – one of my sister’s friends take orders for the stuff at the holidays – pricey, but holy cow is it awesome stuff. (and so she doesn’t share her recipe)

This one from Goya Foods looks a lot like what she told me was in it http://www.goya.com/english/recipes/coquito-coconut-eggnog

Calories be damned – go for rich and delicious with this stuff.

You might also look at cola de mono – it’s a Chilean holiday drink made with coffee and aguadiente (or rum, since the former is tough to find…) – a Chilean friend of ours said it was like his mom makes.

he was also thrilled with the pan de pascua I made for him, also on this page.

I think I am going to start with the Goya recipe. I did find one super authentic recipe in a Puerto Rican cookbook that I forgot I had*, but it required starting with whole coconuts and making your own coconut milk, and if I wait for that mood to strike me I’ll never be drinking coquito. Thanks for the Cola de Mono recipe, I’ll give that a try too.

*This post that I ran across is what reminded me : http://www.alwaysorderdessert.com/2011/12/coquito-puerto-rican-coconut-eggnog.html

1 Like

ugh – even here in FL, finding coconuts fresh enough to make coconut milk with is a tall order! One of my neighbors has a coconut palm, but I’m really not up for moonlight shinnying up a tree where the only thing to break my fall is asphalt…just sayin’. ! :smile:

1 Like

I made the Goya recipe and it was super yummy! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

My coveted coquito recipe… :laughing:
1/2 cup of condensed milk
1/2 cup evaporated milk
around 2-3 cups coconut milk
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp brown sugar
yolk

If you’re going to boil it, milks go in first. Yolk, vanilla, sugar. Whisk, whisk, whisk. Set to a boil. Let it boil for 5 minutes. Stir, gently, of course.

Stir for another 5 minutes. Turn it off. Let it simmer. Once it’s at room temperature, add the rum. The accuracy stops here because it depends on how much you want to add to it. Of course, let it chill in the fridge. Give it 2-3 hours.

Cinnamon and nutmeg are okay, but I add fresh ground nutmeg only.