Closed restaurants you miss most [TX]

“Alison Cook from 1983”

Well Shiver me timbers! ! I didn’t even see who wrote that! I have looked for Internet references to Lalo’s over the years, this is the first time something popped up! Good eye!

You are a scholar and a gentleman.

Pino’s was on the east side of Hillcroft, close to Westheimer just south.

1 Like

That’s what I recall! I think they’re gaslighting us!

Gaslight from the Charles Boyer, Ingrid Bergman, Joseph Cotton picture? What a film but no millennial could last three seconds viewing it.

The very one. Though I hear the word used frequently in modern language, millennials just don’t know the origin. So one step up on them! Haha! Don’t be surprised if you hear it in the next week.

Point remains, Pino’s was on Hillcroft.

1 Like

I know this is an old thread, but there has been a long discussion about Lalos over in a facebook page for SW Houston. Lalos closed in that original location and opened a newer place over in the Bellaire Triangle, but it didn’t last at all. That original place was remembered very fondly by many. I grew up getting Pizza there all the time, as Brazilians we loved the Argentinian pizza they sold.

3 Likes

Oh my gosh!! Thanks for this and welcome to Hungry Onion! If I could only go back and pick up a pizza there again, it was a tiny place with mostly takeout business. Do you know who owned it?

It was a different time and life, around 1980.

I’ll have to look for that SW Houston page.

2 Likes

Dar Maghreb. The B’stilla was delish.

2 Likes

Here is the SW Houston facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/54321406828/

I remember his first name was actually Lalo, but no idea about the last name. I know we went there a lot in the early '80s or so. We lived down the street in Westbury.

Thanks I joined! I grew up in Sugar Land when there was nothing there but a sugar factory so southwest Houston was my stomping grounds back in the day!

1 Like

Can’t say I missed it because I never went but El Real has closed as of Monday.

1 Like

Cheese enchiladas were good, service wasn’t.

1 Like

We never had a problem with the service but I’ll miss those puffy tacos and the cheese enchis.

There was some concern about the employees getting paid but supposedly they were made good last Friday.

I told a friend and he just laughed. He went twice and didn’t like it at all. I didn’t press him on specifics but will the next time we speak.

This from the 60’s I believe.

2 Likes

Is it Bill Williams? I don’t know this place. Savage.

Interesting discovery: I mention the defunct Pino’s above. I learned this week that the same owner has had a place in Bryan since 2003. I wonder if it would be the same in that location and without red checkered tablecloths.

“Brothers Adriano & Pino, former co-owners of Pino’s Italian Restaurant, in Houston, Texas, along with their families, have been serving authentic Italian food since 1960. We are happy to share our family tradition with the Bryan/College Station area! So, if you’re in the mood for great Italian food with fresh ingredients, look no further than Frittella Cafe!”

2 Likes

Reef has closed.

2 Likes

Yes it is. They served chicken in the rough savage style.

It was a tough call between fried chicken or speckled trout. I’d yet to try the noble oyster.

1 Like

2019 will not be a good memory for Bryan Caswell. :pensive:

1 Like