[Chicago, West Loop] Avec

Avec is a Mediterranean influenced restaurant in the Loop. Small and narrow with a counter on one side and tables on the other, it’s part of a group of restaurants including Blackbird, which is next door, and the Publican. They only take reservations for certain hours. The rest of the time is first come first serve. I was by myself and lucked out on a seat at the counter without having to wait.

Panzanella
More of a brussels sprouts salad with some croutons rather than a panzanella. Really good. Lots of olive oil. Fresh tasting sprouts and funky cheese. Nice contrast with the sweet and sour pickled raisins.

Wild Hake
Also really good. Second time having hake, which was flaky and sweet. Nice sauce with the cous cous and little salty olives.

Wood Oven Roasted Oysters
This was a miss for me. Didn’t really get why they roasted the oysters, they probably would have been good raw since it was served with a mignonette anyway.

Chorizo Stuffed Medjool Dates
One of their signature dishes. Got a half order. Should have gotten a full order these were really delicious. Bacon wrapped dates with a chorizo center, with a nice tomato sauce. Served with some bread to mop up remaining sauce

2 Likes