Catalan Caldereta de Bogavante = Lobster Stew. Do you have a lobster stew ?

18 Caldereta de Bogavante is always a successful pleasantry for family reunions and get togethers with dear Friends or as a romantic dinner for 2.
This récipe serves 4.

2 Lobsters ( 1 Kilo ) - boil only until al dente ( approx 5 minutes )
sea salt ( I use Basque Ecological Sea Salt )
200 ml. Evoo
2 small onions of choice finely sliced ( I sub shallot and leek )
2 cloves garlic finely minced or diced
2 large red ripe tomatoes ( 250 grams ) peeled and de-seeded and finely chopped
Fish or prawn broth from home made fish stock
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons of fresh chopped herbs: parsley and Genovese Basil, thyme, oregano, savoury Winter or summer
freshly ground rose, Green, White and black peppercorns
Rice: I use Arròs de Perlès … However, you can use Valencian Arborio and add some to your concoction.
Prawns: 12 Large or extra large prawns ( langostinos )

1. Cook the lobsters for 4 to 5 minutes in boiling salted wáter until al dente …
  2. Remove and allow to cool and then take out of Shell and set aside.
  3. Heat the Evoo in a large skillet and sauté the onion ( I sub shallot and leek ) over low slow flame or heat, until Golden and tender. Now add the garlic and the tomatoes and allow to reduce over low slow flame to the consistency of a " sofrito " or purée.
  4. Add the shucked lobster pieces, shellfish broth, fresh herbs, and bay leaves. Cook slowly for 10 minutes in the sofrito / sauce.
  5. Season with salt and pepper and lowever the heat. *** Remove the lobster and set aside. Add 12 large prawns that are not de-shelled ( the shells provide a tremendous amount of flavor ).
  6. Heat the stew for another 15 - 20 minutes and serve in an earthenware and ladle the stew evenly to the diners. This is when you pour your rice gently into the earthenware or Palleria, a paella metal pan with 2 handles or casserole or Dutch Oven. This is not Paella, so maintain the stew liquid necessary.
8 Likes

That seems like an awfully long time to cook lobster - doesn’t it get tough?

1 Like

It is tenderised in the sauce of prawn or fish broth & tomato sofrito after it is boiled in wáter and sea salt. More or less just until “al dente” … Then it is shucked from Shells and placed in the sauce or what we call Sofrito.

Maybe it is 4 to 5 minutes and not 8 to 10 minutes.

Ah. I thought maybe lobster was like squid, which “relaxes” after cooking for a while. The only way I’ve made lobster at home is to steam it.

1 Like

Friend from North Carolina called , visiting the area so invited her for late lunch with son
Seafood Cataplana was menu
Using the bones of duck legs from last night’s dinner, I made a broth adding herbs to it. To the cooked broth, I add a pinch of Spanish smoked paprika and saffron as well as a couple pieces of macerated chipotle and adobo sauce for that extra kick,
I made Soffrito in my wok using onions caramelized till golden brown, carrots till tender, garlic and herbs in that order, then pulverized tomato, bell peppers until tomato became brown. I then browned some maple farm duck sausages and added to the the soffrito.
These were added to the cataplana pot, 2 filleted red drum fish , frozen Argentina wild shrimp, ( I use these frozen as I do not want them to overcook in the cataplana which is the prototype of our pressure cooker for those who are not familiar with cataplana. It cooks fast , on medium heat and for the size pot I chose, it took around 8 min for steam to develop at which time it is cooked. So, not to overcook shrimp and I toss them in frozen) .
This was served with toasted asiago cheese bread from Panera, and lemon juice.
Here is a picture of my cataplana pot for 3-4 people. Have one for 2 and one for 10-15 for large parties . Except for the smaller one, these were hand hammered in Portugal, much much sturdier and heavier copper than the usual pot one buys thru internet or at Portugal market.
This is more soffrito ( including duck sausage) that I need as usual, so I am freezing part of it for future use) I usually add a tin of anchovy in Evoo but since I am using duck sausage for the first time, I am not sure of salt content, so anchovy was omitted, instead, left over soy sauce, garlic , lime dip from last night was offered if needed.
also offered some left over butternut squash , beet apple salad etc with baby spinach.

A glass of Fontera concha y toro CS, merlot blend

1 Like

This is a very lovely Portuguese copper cataplana.

Nice dish …